The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19787
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by matedog » 11 Aug 2017, 8:17pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 7:37pm
Kory wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 7:31pm
True, true. But still, we're all better than Hoy.
Except Chuck. :shifty:
:cool:
Wait, what?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 70579
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 11 Aug 2017, 8:33pm

matedog wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 8:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 7:37pm
Kory wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 7:31pm
True, true. But still, we're all better than Hoy.
Except Chuck. :shifty:
:cool:
Wait, what?
He will wear that proto-punk hairshirt for all his benighted days.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5190
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob » 11 Aug 2017, 9:35pm

I just saw a Kia commercial with Ace of Spades playing in the background

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 70579
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 11 Aug 2017, 9:53pm

revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:35pm
I just saw a Kia commercial with Ace of Spades playing in the background
The other day, I saw an commercial for perfume(?) that used Suicide's "Dream Baby Dream." We're a long goddamned way from CBGB's in '76, huh?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 25894
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston » 12 Aug 2017, 12:12am

Wolter wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 8:14pm
I'd be offended if anyone ever thought I was seriously throwing around SRP as a real insult.

I mean, Heston likes seriously shit music, and is a massive hypocrite for deciding that the shit he dislikes is somehow worse than the shit he defends, but I mean I'm still fucking around with him.



PS: the Exploited rule you fucking SRPs.
My comment about "You never will understand good music" was actually stolen from you (said about me) as I always found it highly amusing.
This is the one where Bucks Fizz's Talking In Your Sleep gets disrupted by the arrival of the train in Bristol

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 25894
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston » 12 Aug 2017, 5:16am

revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 7:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 7:22pm
Everyone here has tastes that are at least somewhat confounding or contradictory in terms of genres. Some people's tastes are more catholic than others, but no one sticks to just one genre. So it's always amusing when the SRP or "good music" better-than-you stones get thrown around.
Yeah but I think it is mostly done for comedic effect anyway, except when everyone but Heston thinks KISS sucks. ;)
Agreed.
This is the one where Bucks Fizz's Talking In Your Sleep gets disrupted by the arrival of the train in Bristol

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 34695
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 12 Aug 2017, 10:26am

revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:35pm
I just saw a Kia commercial with Ace of Spades playing in the background
Buzzcocks - What Do I Get? ...used in McDonalds ad.
Image
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49091
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Wolter » 12 Aug 2017, 12:02pm

Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 12:12am
Wolter wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 8:14pm
I'd be offended if anyone ever thought I was seriously throwing around SRP as a real insult.

I mean, Heston likes seriously shit music, and is a massive hypocrite for deciding that the shit he dislikes is somehow worse than the shit he defends, but I mean I'm still fucking around with him.



PS: the Exploited rule you fucking SRPs.
My comment about "You never will understand good music" was actually stolen from you (said about me) as I always found it highly amusing.
I'm pretty great, aren't I?
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 25894
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston » 12 Aug 2017, 12:13pm

Wolter wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 12:02pm
Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 12:12am
Wolter wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 8:14pm
I'd be offended if anyone ever thought I was seriously throwing around SRP as a real insult.

I mean, Heston likes seriously shit music, and is a massive hypocrite for deciding that the shit he dislikes is somehow worse than the shit he defends, but I mean I'm still fucking around with him.



PS: the Exploited rule you fucking SRPs.
My comment about "You never will understand good music" was actually stolen from you (said about me) as I always found it highly amusing.
I'm pretty great, aren't I?
Yes, yes you are. Sometimes...

See Doc, it's not all trouble and strife around here.
This is the one where Bucks Fizz's Talking In Your Sleep gets disrupted by the arrival of the train in Bristol

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 70579
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Aug 2017, 12:18pm

Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 12:13pm
See Doc, it's not all trouble and strife around here.
Quiet, chowderhead.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 70579
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Aug 2017, 2:31pm

Cocteau Twins fans, do you get a similar vibe from this? It's certainly more melodic/poppy, than CT, but I immediately thought of Milk and Kisses. Maybe I'm way off.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7125
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory » 14 Aug 2017, 12:09pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:53pm
revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:35pm
I just saw a Kia commercial with Ace of Spades playing in the background
The other day, I saw an commercial for perfume(?) that used Suicide's "Dream Baby Dream." We're a long goddamned way from CBGB's in '76, huh?
Did I mention I stopped by the old location when I was last in town? It was lame as hell.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 70579
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 14 Aug 2017, 12:19pm

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:53pm
revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:35pm
I just saw a Kia commercial with Ace of Spades playing in the background
The other day, I saw an commercial for perfume(?) that used Suicide's "Dream Baby Dream." We're a long goddamned way from CBGB's in '76, huh?
Did I mention I stopped by the old location when I was last in town? It was lame as hell.
What'd it look like?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7125
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory » 14 Aug 2017, 12:20pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 12:19pm
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:53pm
revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:35pm
I just saw a Kia commercial with Ace of Spades playing in the background
The other day, I saw an commercial for perfume(?) that used Suicide's "Dream Baby Dream." We're a long goddamned way from CBGB's in '76, huh?
Did I mention I stopped by the old location when I was last in town? It was lame as hell.
What'd it look like?
Like an overpriced boutique that was trying desperately to be hip by retaining posters and graffiti on the walls—trying to look "grime-chic."
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 70579
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 14 Aug 2017, 12:25pm

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 12:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 12:19pm
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:53pm
revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 9:35pm
I just saw a Kia commercial with Ace of Spades playing in the background
The other day, I saw an commercial for perfume(?) that used Suicide's "Dream Baby Dream." We're a long goddamned way from CBGB's in '76, huh?
Did I mention I stopped by the old location when I was last in town? It was lame as hell.
What'd it look like?
Like an overpriced boutique that was trying desperately to be hip by retaining posters and graffiti on the walls—trying to look "grime-chic."
So, Suicide being used to sell perfume. Your rebellion will be commodified if it's worth a damn.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests