The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 12 May 2018, 8:48am

Heston wrote:
11 May 2018, 4:59pm
Who would have laid any money on this becoming a worldwide hit?

Me! as I met Martin Rushent (R.I.P.) around this time and he was a great guy and a genius producer. Just take a look at the list of who he produced.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 12 May 2018, 8:50am

Heston wrote:
11 May 2018, 5:13pm
If U2 had been fatally electrocuted at Red Rocks and they would be legends in my eyes. Watching the gig now for the first time in ages, they were an incredible live entity at this point.
Nasty :naughty:

But yeah a terrific live band.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 12 May 2018, 8:52am

eumaas wrote:
11 May 2018, 11:46am
Between people being upset about the Thermals breaking up and the man from Frightened Rabbit dying, two bands I have without exaggeration never heard of, I feel like I've had some kind of stroke. I guess this is what getting older is.
I only know of the Thermals because there was an obnoxious, belligerent White Sox fan at Snews who wouldn’t shut the fuck up about them ever.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 12 May 2018, 2:22pm

Wolter wrote:
12 May 2018, 8:52am
eumaas wrote:
Between people being upset about the Thermals breaking up and the man from Frightened Rabbit dying, two bands I have without exaggeration never heard of, I feel like I've had some kind of stroke. I guess this is what getting older is.
I only know of the Thermals because there was an obnoxious, belligerent White Sox fan at Snews who wouldn’t shut the fuck up about them ever.
I remember that guy.
So get back to work and sweat some more
The sun will sink and we'll get out the door
It's no good for man to work in cages
Hit the town, he drinks his wages

http://macgowansongs.blogspot.co.uk
www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Low Down Low » 12 May 2018, 5:57pm

Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
By any chance that guy didn’t have a name like Smokie or with Smoke in it in some form or other?

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 12 May 2018, 7:32pm

Low Down Low wrote:
12 May 2018, 5:57pm
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
By any chance that guy didn’t have a name like Smokie or with Smoke in it in some form or other?
I think so.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Low Down Low » 13 May 2018, 6:15am

Wolter wrote:
12 May 2018, 7:32pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
I think so.
It just instantly rang about 10 bells, being from Chicago and wittering on and on in a semi-literate fashion about obscure bands nobody had ever heard the fuck of. I committed the cardinal error once of, very politely, asking him to refrain from continually posting pro-IRA messages and lived to regret it. One of the bands he wouldn’t shut the fuck up about actually was a three word name that spelled out IRA which I didn’t take to be an innocent coincidence. A real charmer.

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 13 May 2018, 2:39pm

Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2018, 6:15am
Wolter wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
I think so.
It just instantly rang about 10 bells, being from Chicago and wittering on and on in a semi-literate fashion about obscure bands nobody had ever heard the fuck of. I committed the cardinal error once of, very politely, asking him to refrain from continually posting pro-IRA messages and lived to regret it. One of the bands he wouldn’t shut the fuck up about actually was a three word name that spelled out IRA which I didn’t take to be an innocent coincidence. A real charmer.
Yep. Yep. That’s the one. I remember thinking “why is the only message board person I know within a day’s drive of me this asshead?”

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Low Down Low » 14 May 2018, 10:48am

Wolter wrote:
13 May 2018, 2:39pm
Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2018, 6:15am
Wolter wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I think so.
Yep. Yep. That’s the one. I remember thinking “why is the only message board person I know within a day’s drive of me this asshead?”
He was a bit like your drunk uncle at a wedding, uttering a stream of lewd comments and making passes at the bridesmaids. After a while everybody decides the best thing is just to ignore him. After I confronted him, I idly wondered if everybody else on the board was ok with his IRA drivel to which one poster replied, not altogether helpfully I felt: "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." I did think it was a decent board otherwise, at that stage of its life at least.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob » 15 May 2018, 8:02pm

My kid is in a school play, he has some line that mentions Springsteen, he replaced that with the Ramones.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 May 2018, 8:41pm

revbob wrote:
15 May 2018, 8:02pm
My kid is in a school play, he has some line that mentions Springsteen, he replaced that with the Ramones.
I really can't see any of the Ramones working on their car, hoping to find the real America driving in the Midwest, past the closed factories and the broken dreams of the blue-collar worker.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol » 15 May 2018, 10:44pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2018, 8:41pm
revbob wrote:
I really can't see any of the Ramones working on their car, hoping to find the real America driving in the Midwest, past the closed factories and the broken dreams of the blue-collar worker.
Those no-good whippersnaps just learned a very valuable lesson about when it's time to get in the fuckin' van, Richie. :naughty:

JennyB
Clash Cuck

Post by JennyB » 16 May 2018, 10:20am

revbob wrote:
Love it. Nice work!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder » 16 May 2018, 12:42pm

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 May 2018, 12:57pm

Inder wrote:
16 May 2018, 12:42pm
How inspiring was Mark E. Smith's swimming pool?
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.