The Bowie song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Bowie song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by muppet hi fi »

"Sound and Vision".
my favorite on 'Low' by a mile, easy top 20, some days top 10. Carlos Alomar's guitar hook is acoplete earworm. such a perfect piece of music.

listened to 'Low' three times today; hadn't listened to side 2 in about 15 years, and was reminded why. apart from those few vocal parts on Warszawa and Subteraneans, which are beautiful and haunting, (Bowie's sax on the latter is really cool too), it's pretty boring to me. and some of those synth sounds are just so dated and bland sounding (apologies to the many folk who rate it so highly) it's hard to believe it was Eno on a lot of it. Heroes is much more interesting and entrancing for me.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:"Sound and Vision".
my favorite on 'Low' by a mile, easy top 20, some days top 10. Carlos Alomar's guitar hook is acoplete earworm. such a perfect piece of music.

listened to 'Low' three times today; hadn't listened to side 2 in about 15 years, and was reminded why. apart from those few vocal parts on Warszawa and Subteraneans, which are beautiful and haunting, (Bowie's sax on the latter is really cool too), it's pretty boring to me. and some of those synth sounds are just so dated and bland sounding (apologies to the many folk who rate it so highly) it's hard to believe it was Eno on a lot of it. Heroes is much more interesting and entrancing for me.
I Like all the intrumentals. Was playing the "All Saints" compilation yesterday and really enjoyed it. However I don't rate it highly (compared to the majority of Bowie's output) as such more a right time right mood thing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:

I Like all the intrumentals. Was playing the "All Saints" compilation yesterday and really enjoyed it. However I don't rate it highly (compared to the majority of Bowie's output) as such more a right time right mood thing.
oh for sure. maybe i sounded a bit harsh, as i do like quite a lot of "ambient" type music quite a bit. i remember the very cold winter of '81here, sitting in a freezing cold basement listening to a cassette of Low for a few months and really digging the whole thing. i think it was the herb i was smoking and the cold that made my really appreciate side 2 then :hmm:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

oh for sure. maybe i sounded a bit harsh, as i do like quite a lot of "ambient" type music quite a bit. i remember the very cold winter of '81here, sitting in a freezing cold basement listening to a cassette of Low for a few months and really digging the whole thing. i think it was the herb i was smoking and the cold that made my really appreciate side 2 then :hmm:
Some of the instrumentals resonate more than others but overall good mood music.

P.S. stay off the herb. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Some of the instrumentals resonate more than others but overall good mood music.

Yeah, pills are better.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah, pills are better.
Music is my drug.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
Music is my drug.
Me too. But so are drugs.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Music is my drug.
:lol:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Music is my drug.
Well they had their time I guess. But I lost too many good friends to stupidity. I would be a hypocrite to not advocate drug use but the truth is they suck.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
tepista wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Music is my drug.
Well they had their time I guess. But I lost too many good friends to stupidity. I would be a hypocrite to not advocate drug use but the truth is they suck.
Hello,

Nembutal numbs it all but I prefer alcohol. A decent beer or so. Alcohol is much more controllable for those with reason. I understand that doesn't apply to all. Good luck to all with issues.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
tepista wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Music is my drug.
Hello,

Nembutal numbs it all but I prefer alcohol. A decent beer or so. Alcohol is much more controllable for those with reason. I understand that doesn't apply to all. Good luck to all with issues.
Each to their own poison. Just take it easy on yourself.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote: Just take it easy on yourself.
I actually had a really rough recovery this weekend, I think I may have dehydrated myself. I'm getting too old for this shit.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
I actually had a really rough recovery this weekend, I think I may have dehydrated myself. I'm getting too old for this shit.
Not good mate, hope you recovered fine.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah, pills are better.
Music is my drug.
Can I make it at home? What's the chemical compound?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
Nah, just make sure you have a water for every drink. You'll be fine. Also, clear liquor will treat you better the next day.