Re: The Challenge Thread

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 8:43pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 7:58pm
revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 7:20pm
I'd be open to a Bowie challenge as well. I mainly only know Bowie stuff I've heard on the radio.
I could do ya one, differing, I reckon, from Kory's upcoming one with Doc Medulla. Straight up hard rocking guitar stuff's more your vibe, am I right Revbob? (I'd avoid the hits/singles, natch).
Oh yeah that's the sweet spot keep doing it until I tell you to stop.

And then I need to figure out what I might share with you. Do you like horns?
Oh yeah, I love horns, in nearly all permutations. I thought the gig here was to sway someone who may not dig/be hip to an act. (and Sabbath won't cut it for me, mate. Unless you must ;) ...).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 9:30pm
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:
I'd be open to a Bowie challenge as well. I mainly only know Bowie stuff I've heard on the radio.
I could do ya one, differing, I reckon, from Kory's upcoming one with Doc Medulla. Straight up hard rocking guitar stuff's more your vibe, am I right Revbob? (I'd avoid the hits/singles, natch).

Oh yeah, I love horns, in nearly all permutations. I thought the gig here was to sway someone who may not dig/be hip to an act. (and Sabbath won't cut it for me, mate. Unless you must ;) ...).
Yeah im having a slightly harder time getting a read on you. No Sabbath? They were my first musical love. I wore out my brothers cassette of Paranoid. But i figure it could be say a style you might like but an artist you don't know, but I think you're pretty well versed. Or maybe I got this all wrong. Doc's offer of KJ I think will work for me, I know the one song. But if he was offering say Duran Duran, lets just say I would never listen to that, that would be punishment.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 10:40pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 9:30pm
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah im having a slightly harder time getting a read on you. No Sabbath? They were my first musical love. I wore out my brothers cassette of Paranoid. But i figure it could be say a style you might like but an artist you don't know, but I think you're pretty well versed. Or maybe I got this all wrong. Doc's offer of KJ I think will work for me, I know the one song. But if he was offering say Duran Duran, lets just say I would never listen to that, that would be punishment.
He’s more a Phish man. They own Vermont with Ben & Jerry and those Teddy Bear assholes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Alright, revbob—if that's what your passport really says—I've come up with ten KJ songs that I think lean in your direction (more aggression, less pop). Name the bat time and I'll name the bat channel.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Eighties by Killing Joke is poppy?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 10:14am
By my standards? Very much so. I could almost hear it being used in one of those 80s teen angst movies, hell it probably was.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 11:58am
Heston wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 10:14am
By my standards? Very much so. I could almost hear it being used in one of those 80s teen angst movies, hell it probably was.
It's on the poppy side of KJ, but on the grander scale I wouldn't call it pop.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 8:47am
Alright, revbob—if that's what your passport really says—I've come up with ten KJ songs that I think lean in your direction (more aggression, less pop). Name the bat time and I'll name the bat channel.
So give it to me at anytime and I'll download them to my phone for listening. Ill work on my list for you...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 12:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 8:47am
So give it to me at anytime and I'll download them to my phone for listening. Ill work on my list for you...
My rule was only one song per album, which meant skipping some albums, but as I mentioned above, I mostly leaned towards dark and loud over the more relatively pop-oriented stuff ("Eighties" excepted).

Wardance (Killing Joke [1980])
Tension (What's This For …?)
Eighties (Night Time)
Another Bloody Election (Democracy)
Pandemonium (Pandemonium)
Seeing Red (Killing Joke [2003])
This Tribal Antidote (Hosannas From the Basement of Hell)
Here Comes the Singularity (Absolute Dissent)
Corporate Elect (MMXII)
I am the Virus (Pylon)

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Still working on the Bowie one, having some issues paring down to 10, but I'll have it up today.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 3:18pm
Still working on the Bowie one, having some issues paring down to 10, but I'll have it up today.
Lemme guess - it's all gonna be from 'Station to Station' through 'Lodger' (maybe one from 'Scary Monsters'). Am I right? :approve:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 4:26pm
Kory wrote:
Lemme guess - it's all gonna be from 'Station to Station' through 'Lodger' (maybe one from 'Scary Monsters'). Am I right? :approve:
Well, he did ask for things that would speak to his taste in post-punk. Though I did cut one song from Heathen and one from Blackstar that I would have liked on there, and I would have liked to do a lot more side B's from Low and "Heroes," but I could only do ten and I wanted a higher overview. There is NO Scary Monsters track, but I did cheat one from Diamond Dogs, so there's that.

Alright, here. it is. I agonized over this and I'm still not sure it's right but I'm sure I'll get some suggestions:

Side A
Station to Station
Breaking Glass
Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (reprise) (this is a cheat at three songs but it's really more of a suite—such that somebody put it together like this on YouTube)
Sons of the Silent Age
Warszawa

Side B
Red Money
Stay
Always Crashing in the Same Car
Blackout
Sense of Doubt

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 4:42pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
Well, he did ask for things that would speak to his taste in post-punk. Though I did cut one song from Heathen and one from Blackstar that I would have liked on there, and I would have liked to do a lot more side B's from Low and "Heroes," but I could only do ten and I wanted a higher overview. There is NO Scary Monsters track, but I did cheat one from Diamond Dogs, so there's that.

Alright, here. it is. I agonized over this and I'm still not sure it's right but I'm sure I'll get some suggestions:

Side A
Station to Station
Breaking Glass
Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (reprise) (this is a cheat at three songs but it's really more of a suite—such that somebody put it together like this on YouTube)
Sons of the Silent Age
Warszawa

Side B
Red Money
Stay
Blackout
Sense of Doubt
Cool. Because I want to take this seriously, I won't be doing it until Friday or Saturday (once I'm done grading). I can offer my thoughts live, so to speak, or belch out one big post after the fact—your call.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 4:50pm
Kory wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 4:42pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Side A
Station to Station
Breaking Glass
Sons of the Silent Age
Warszawa

Side B
Red Money
Stay
Blackout
Sense of Doubt
Cool. Because I want to take this seriously, I won't be doing it until Friday or Saturday (once I'm done grading). I can offer my thoughts live, so to speak, or belch out one big post after the fact—your call.
Oh, whatever's easiest for you. I don't want to dictate your experience of it. However your mind works best.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 4:59pm
Oh, whatever's easiest for you. I don't want to dictate your experience of it. However your mind works best.
You're not prepared to know how my mind works …