Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 8:26pm
Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 6:54pm
Helvetica is very polarizing. I don't mind it as long as the kerning and leading is done with purpose.
I am, of course, pretty dim on this angle of presentation (I'm stronger on the content of the text), but aren't simpler, more straight-forward fonts the better choice?
What do you mean? With this poster specifically?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 8:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Helvetica is very polarizing. I don't mind it as long as the kerning and leading is done with purpose.
I am, of course, pretty dim on this angle of presentation (I'm stronger on the content of the text), but aren't simpler, more straight-forward fonts the better choice?
No, not that poster. More generally, I mean. I'm thinking more akin to the observation about special effects—if you notice, "Wow, what great special effects!" they haven't succeeded. So if you notice the font is unusual, it's not successful. Something more conventional, therefore, tends to be better. (There are exceptions to the rule—e.g., the Never Mind the Bollocks ransom note design—but they stand out as exceptions.)

(I will completely roll and defer to you if you say I'm a total dolt here. As I've said before, I'm fascinated by this stuff in no small part because I'm kind of a dummy about it all.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 8:37pm
Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 8:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
No, not that poster. More generally, I mean. I'm thinking more akin to the observation about special effects—if you notice, "Wow, what great special effects!" they haven't succeeded. So if you notice the font is unusual, it's not successful. Something more conventional, therefore, tends to be better. (There are exceptions to the rule—e.g., the Never Mind the Bollocks ransom note design—but they stand out as exceptions.)

(I will completely roll and defer to you if you say I'm a total dolt here. As I've said before, I'm fascinated by this stuff in no small part because I'm kind of a dummy about it all.)
Right, definitely so when you just want people to just be reading information. A less obtrusive the typeface is better. If you're trying to be bold with a headline or in an ad or something to catch the eye, then crazier faces can be in order as long as they serve the mood and aren't distracting.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 10:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'd like to buy whatever product it is that you're selling.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The only thing I know is that Heineken slanted to the ‘e’ in their name to make them look like they are smiling and as a result they sold millions more bottles of beer.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:02pm
The only thing I know is that Heineken slanted to the ‘e’ in their name to make them look like they are smiling and as a result they sold millions more bottles of beer.
This is why I like working for nonprofits.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:16pm
101Walterton wrote:
Go back to Russia, Trotsky!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:23pm
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
With gusto.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:23pm
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
With gustov.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I honestly cannot imagine not working for a NFP. I mean, I hate my job, but I'm sure it would be much, much worse in the corporate world. Also, I'm not actually qualified to do anything in the corporate world.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 4:53pm
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I honestly cannot imagine not working for a NFP. I mean, I hate my job, but I'm sure it would be much, much worse in the corporate world. Also, I'm not actually qualified to do anything in the corporate world.
The only thing I'm qualified for in the corporate world is losing my job after beating my boss up.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 5:25pm
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
The only thing I'm qualified for in the corporate world is losing my job after beating my boss up.
Um...please elaborate.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 5:46pm
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Um...please elaborate.
I could just see it happening. I'm not a fan of the end result of my labor being more money for someone else.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 5:47pm
JennyB wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 5:46pm
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:

Um...please elaborate.
I could just see it happening. I'm not a fan of the end result of my labor being more money for someone else.
Gotcha - I misread as something that already happened. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!