XTC doc details

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: XTC doc details

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 2:18pm
XTC is a band who I really enjoy every time I put them on, but I've never gotten the bug enough to buy an album. I know enough about myself to say with confidence that it will definitely happen eventually, but for now my appetite for quirky, intelligently effervescent pop music is often sated by early Oingo Boingo.
I'm chiefly a singles guy with them with the exception of the last two albums, the Apple Venus discs, which are a superb swan song for the group. Get a copy of Fossil Fuel.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
XTC is a band who I really enjoy every time I put them on, but I've never gotten the bug enough to buy an album. I know enough about myself to say with confidence that it will definitely happen eventually, but for now my appetite for quirky, intelligently effervescent pop music is often sated by early Oingo Boingo.
Oingo fucking Boingo? Not fit to breathe the same air as XTC.

You need someone like me to do you a real "Introduction to XTC" comp.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 2:23pm
Kory wrote:

The challenge thread exists for more than just you and I tormenting each other …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 2:33pm
Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 2:23pm
Kory wrote:

The challenge thread exists for more than just you and I tormenting each other …
Well as I said, I already like them a lot, I just haven't fallen in love.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Black Sea is their most accessible album. English Settlement their most rewarding on multiple listens. Mummer is their most underrated.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 2:41pm
Black Sea is their most accessible album. English Settlement their most rewarding on multiple listens. Mummer is their most underrated.
Those three plus Drums and Wires are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Maybe I'll take this opportunity to just go through the whole discog in order.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 2:43pm
Heston wrote:
Those three plus Drums and Wires are the ones I'm most familiar with.
If none of those four can reel you in they might not be for you. Even though I'm a fan they have released quite a few average to bad songs in their career. It's just that all the good to great ones totally make up for them.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Black Sea is poptastic!!!

But seriously Respectable Street as an album opener is worth the ticket price.