The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/five_n ... _morrissey

Five Noteworthy Facts You May Not Know About Morrissey:

1. Moz could have been the Clash's singer.

[In 1976,] now an obsessive music fan who regularly writes in to the music weeklies, [Morrissey] is rebuffed by New York Dolls members at their show, but converses briefly with Mick Jones of the opening band, the Clash; Morrissey knows him from having responded to his "singer wanted" ad, but the job had gone to Joe Strummer.

I seem to recall a story about a young Mick corresponding with a young Morrissey over a shared love of music and there is a mention in Passion is a Fashion where Tony James (I think) recollects getting a letter from Morrissey offering his services - but they didn't take it seriously because he lived so far away from London.
Last edited by WestwayKid on 23 Jan 2019, 12:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 11:54am

[In 1976,] now an obsessive music fan who regularly writes in to the music weeklies, [Morrissey] is rebuffed by New York Dolls members at their show, but converses briefly with Mick Jones of the opening band, the Clash; Morrissey knows him from having responded to his "singer wanted" ad, but the job had gone to Joe Strummer.

Huh?
If they shitcanned Keith for being a lazy dink, Morrissey wouldn't have lasted any longer.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 11:59am
WestwayKid wrote:

Huh?
If they shitcanned Keith for being a lazy dink, Morrissey wouldn't have lasted any longer.
Morrissey was a huge NY Dolls fan as was Mick so things really could've taken a different path.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Huh?
Morrissey was a huge NY Dolls fan as was Mick so things really could've taken a different path.
There may have been common interests, but I really have a hard time conceiving of Bernie putting up with Morrissey for long.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Huh?
There may have been common interests, but I really have a hard time conceiving of Bernie putting up with Morrissey for long.
Morrissey should have formed a band with Vince - they also have some common interests...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 11:27am
I actually found it an easier listen than World Peace...which has always been a difficult one for me to get into.
Yeah World Peace is right near the bottom for me, though it's better than I thought the first couple times I listened.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Huh?
Very early times so I doubt Morrissey had the same arrogance he showed later on. Also I'm considering a different beginning where Mick and Moz try out a band before Bernie's time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 2:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Huh?
Very early times so I doubt Morrissey had the same arrogance he showed later on. Also I'm considering a different beginning where Mick and Moz try out a band before Bernie's time.
Morrissey has always been prone to canceling shows though, or simply not showing up. I think between Mick's constant tardiness and that, they never would have gotten anything off the ground.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 2:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Morrissey has always been prone to canceling shows though, or simply not showing up. I think between Mick's constant tardiness and that, they never would have gotten anything off the ground.
Sure but much later on as he became more of an prima-donna. However early on in the punk years he did join the band The Nosebleeds as lead singer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 2:57pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

He was canceling shows as early as the early Smiths days. I think it's just part of who he is.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 3:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

He was canceling shows as early as the early Smiths days. I think it's just part of who he is.
Indeed but I'm referring to time before The Smiths. The Smiths didn't form until 1982 punk was a good 6 years earlier. I'm not suggesting Morrissey hasn't always been a brat but I can't imagine him being such a prima-donna at the point of having no success.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
According to the books/interviews I've read, the main reason for the split was that Morrissey and Marr (who were still only 28 and 24 in 1987) were jointly managing the group because Morrissey disliked or distrusted every real manager they ever had.

I'm sure it would have been a countdown to who would have sacked whom first.

And put me in the "I like Kill Uncle" camp :) Probably my favourite is "End of the Family Line" - the way it sounds like Morrissey is resigned to being childless and then reveals that it's his choice and music changes from a minors to majors (or maybe I'm just hearing things there)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
According to the books/interviews I've read, the main reason for the split was that Morrissey and Marr (who were still only 28 and 24 in 1987) were jointly managing the group because Morrissey disliked or distrusted every real manager they ever had.

Less jointly managing than more and more of that work being dumped on Marr because, indeed, Morrissey would turn on every outside manager they had. Marr has said that he left the band because he was just plain burned out from having too many roles to play at that young age. But to your latter point, ha, I agree.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 4:20pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 3:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Indeed but I'm referring to time before The Smiths. The Smiths didn't form until 1982 punk was a good 6 years earlier. I'm not suggesting Morrissey hasn't always been a brat but I can't imagine him being such a prima-donna at the point of having no success.
I guess that's where we differ.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 4:40pm
oliver wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Less jointly managing than more and more of that work being dumped on Marr because, indeed, Morrissey would turn on every outside manager they had. Marr has said that he left the band because he was just plain burned out from having too many roles to play at that young age. But to your latter point, ha, I agree.
This is what I've always heard, too. Morrissey was apparently very protective of his relationship with Marr - and there were several instances where they brought in an outside manager and the manager would end up forming a working relationship with Marr who handled the business end of the partnership and Morrissey would get jealous and sabotage everything - which meant Johnny would then end up taking care of managing the band on his own again. This went beyond management. Morrissey didn't like the relationship between Marr and producer John Porter and went behind their backs to have Steve Lillywhite mix "Ask". There is also the story that Morrissey didn't like Ken Friedman - who was to be their final outside manager - as Friedman was too friendly with Marr. Morrissey lashed out by failing to show up for the video shoot for "Shoplifters of the World".

From everything I've read - Marr did not intend to leave the band. He was proud of the work they had done on Strangways and saw it as new direction for the group. He just wanted a break and Morrissey wanted to keep working. Morrissey was hot to get back into the studio to record b-sides for "Girlfriend in a Coma" but was adamant that they record a cover of Cilla Black's "Work is a Four Letter Word" along with "I Keep Mine Hidden".

The final straw was the NME article that said the band was going to split. Marr thought the article had been planted by Morrissey (it had not) and decided to walk.

Their relationship since the band split has been interesting. They actually sat down in late 2008 and almost got back together with Rourke (but not Mike Joyce). The idea was that they would wait for Johnny to honor his touring commitments with the Cribs - but then Morrissey never got back to him.