Favorite band that never caught on in your home country?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Favorite band that never caught on in your home country?

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 6:48pm
There are so many great bands that never caught on in America. I can think of so many. Crowded House is a great example. An institution in those countries located at the bottom of the world...but just 1 or 2 hit wonders in the US. People might recognize Don't Dream It's Over and maybe Something So Strong...but most couldn't tell you who the artist was.

The benefit is that when these artists do play in the US - you can usually see them in more intimate settings. The last time I saw Crowded House they played in a relatively small theater in Milwaukee. Awesome show. It was when they were touring behind Intriguer. The audience were all hardcore fans. We could sing along to even the most obscure tracks and that created a really great atmosphere.
Speaking of that neck of the woods, I'd throw Midnight Oil in. Aside from Beds Are Burning, I'm surprised they didn't catch on since they are great songwriters. I suppose it could be Peter Garrett's idiosyncratic vocals.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 7:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 6:48pm
There are so many great bands that never caught on in America. I can think of so many. Crowded House is a great example. An institution in those countries located at the bottom of the world...but just 1 or 2 hit wonders in the US. People might recognize Don't Dream It's Over and maybe Something So Strong...but most couldn't tell you who the artist was.

The benefit is that when these artists do play in the US - you can usually see them in more intimate settings. The last time I saw Crowded House they played in a relatively small theater in Milwaukee. Awesome show. It was when they were touring behind Intriguer. The audience were all hardcore fans. We could sing along to even the most obscure tracks and that created a really great atmosphere.
Speaking of that neck of the woods, I'd throw Midnight Oil in. Aside from Beds Are Burning, I'm surprised they didn't catch on since they are great songwriters. I suppose it could be Peter Garrett's idiosyncratic vocals.
Ha, I was almost going to mention them! They briefly broke through with Beds...but that was pretty much it. I was lucky to see them on their final US visit before they split in 2002 (they didn't come anywhere near Milwaukee on their recent tour). They played Summerfest - which is billed as the largest music festival in the country - but they played one of the smaller stage. It was a great show, but a lot of people were just drunken idiots who wandered in on their way to see REO Speedwagon or something like that. I remember one upper middle class lady who took offense that Garrett would dare criticize the approval of the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository. I vividly recall her yelling/slurring "Go back to your own country" or something like that. Those of us who were there to see the Oils had a great time, however!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Back in 2014, New Order played Summerfest - but they were relegated to the second largest stage. The awful Zac Brown Band was playing at the larger amphitheater. NO packed their stage - 10,000 plus - but Zac Brown didn't sell out. Anywhere else - New Order is playing the larger stage...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A couple qualified suggestions: the Trashcan Sinatras and Idlewild. The former had a bit of success in the early and mid 90s on the college charts but then faded away, and now they release decent but not exactly exciting records that should be driving people ga-ga (so-called adult alternative). The latter were marvellous in their earlier rougher, punk-influenced period, but slowly evolved into a boring, late-period REM (but I repeat myself …). Both deserved more success in their early days, but I wouldn't advocate for what they are now.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I loved the Irish band Power of Dreams their first couple of albums are excellent. Another band who were flavour of the week with the NME.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im struggling to come up with a band that is big in their home cointry but not very big in the US, thst Im a fan of. Ive tried getting into MSP many times over the tears but they never stuck with me. I guess I also have a hard time gauging the popularity of some artists in their home country.
Perhaps The Jam, I dont think they ever got too big in the US. I suppose SLF might fall into this category too.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 9:47pm
Im struggling to come up with a band that is big in their home cointry but not very big in the US, thst Im a fan of. Ive tried getting into MSP many times over the tears but they never stuck with me. I guess I also have a hard time gauging the popularity of some artists in their home country.
Perhaps The Jam, I dont think they ever got too big in the US. I suppose SLF might fall into this category too.
No that they were massive here but they had success. Redskins.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 4:36pm
I managed to sneak in Joe as my son's middle name. Michael Joseph Nicholas Paul got rejected by Mrs Laxman for some reason!
I sneaked in Joe for my daughter's middle name and also got my Kinks fandom satisfied by naming her Lola. Win, win.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

I'm gonna shout out some of my absolute faves, who happen to fit this topic:

Midnight Oil and the Church from Australia. Had a bit of a push in the US for about two minutes, then nada (both huge in Oz, especially the Oils).

Big Country, the Screaming Blue Messiahs and the Only Ones from the UK. All had/have "one hit wonder" status in the US, but were much bigger and more successful in the UK. This goes for the Jam too, tho I don't think they ever got a song to chart in the US and maybe not even a popular video on MTV.

From the US, Mink DeVille were widely popular in Europe, especially France and Germany, while they were largely ignored in the States. Weird, as they and Willy were sort of quintessentially American in their musical approach/styles.

The Waitresses. OK, "I Know What Boys Like" was big on college radio stations for a bit and "Christmas Wrapping" has earned a spot in perennial Christmas comps, and I don't even know how they fared in the UK/Europe.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:37pm

Midnight Oil and the Church from Australia. Had a bit of a push in the US for about two minutes, then nada (both huge in Oz, especially the Oils).

Big Country, the Screaming Blue Messiahs and the Only Ones from the UK. All had/have "one hit wonder" status in the US, but were much bigger and more successful in the UK. This goes for the Jam too, tho I don't think they ever got a song to chart in the US and maybe not even a popular video on MTV.

From the US, Mink DeVille were widely popular in Europe, especially France and Germany, while they were largely ignored in the States. Weird, as they and Willy were sort of quintessentially American in their musical approach/styles.

The Waitresses. OK, "I Know What Boys Like" was big on college radio stations for a bit and "Christmas Wrapping" has earned a spot in perennial Christmas comps, and I don't even know how they fared in the UK/Europe.
It's insane how the Jam never had a hit in the US.

Small Faces were one hit wonders too, hard to believe.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:39pm
muppet hi fi wrote:

Too English I guess. Blur had the same trouble.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Yep, weird. Especially considering how straight up soul/R&B both bands were. I guess in the case of the Jam you could say Weller's voice was "too British", or that his concerns were more local than, say, the Clash.

But was was up with the Small Faces? Bad, bad management I reckon...

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:44pm
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Yep, weird. Especially considering how straight up soul/R&B both bands were. I guess in the case of the Jam you could say Weller's voice was "too British", or that his concerns were more local than, say, the Clash.

I don't get that "British vocal" thing, even Madness had a couple of hits in the US.

And yeah, for the Small Faces see Don Arden.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:46pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

I don't get that "British vocal" thing, even Madness had a couple of hits in the US.

Yeah but I think Madness were viewed as a quaint novelty act, you weren't meant to take them seriously. The Jam were obviously, even to dumbass American record company types, pretty heavy hitters. And really, aside from Clash, who has really made a big noise in the US with thick UK accent? Not the Beatles, not the Stones, not the Who, not the Kinks...that's why it it's daft that Small Faces didn't get a big push here, as Marriot sounded as American as Lennon/Macca, Jagger/Richards, Daltrey/Townshend, etc.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 11:02pm
Heston wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:46pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Yeah but I think Madness were viewed as a quaint novelty act, you weren't meant to take them seriously. The Jam were obviously, even to dumbass American record company types, pretty heavy hitters. And really, aside from Clash, who has really made a big noise in the US with thick UK accent? Not the Beatles, not the Stones, not the Who, not the Kinks...that's why it it's daft that Small Faces didn't get a big push here, as Marriot sounded as American as Lennon/Macca, Jagger/Richards, Daltrey/Townshend, etc.
Subject matter. Lazy Sunday in Steve's cockney voice would've been way too much for American tastes at the time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia