Need advice quick

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Need advice quick

Post by Kory »

Hi all,

I've been asked to join a band here in Seattle as one of the members is quitting, and I'm paralyzed by indecision. On one hand, they are playing regularly, gaining some exposure (recently featured on Anthony Bourdain's show), and it would be good for me to play with other people to keep my skills up.

On the other hand, I'm not really into their music—I think they are more glittery style over substance, and the lyrics and image are pretty corny by my standards. I've had my heart set on the project I'm about to start which is much darker, so this invitation comes at kind of a bad time since all of my free time would be taken up by being in this band, leaving none for my own music. So to sum up, I don't want to miss a good musical opportunity, but I think my heart would always be elsewhere. What would you do?

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Need advice quick

Post by Wolter »

They do seem pretty corny. "We got an app for that" indeed.

I guess you have to ask yourself if the opportunity for more gigs/exposure is worth it versus doing your own thing? Which I honestly can't answer for you.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

I say absolutely join 'em now. You're young, you got time to work on your own stuff, but take the chance of making some cash, traveling, networking, all the stuff that comes from being young, alive, and playing in a rock band. Don't be too precious about being a professional musician - it's getting harder and scarcer these days, man. Enjoy yourself. As the good Doctor H.S. Thompson said: "When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro".
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'd say don't bother if you're heart's not in it. I hate watching musicians who look like they're mentally ticking off household chores while they're onstage.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I agree with Heston. Music is a labour of love for you, and if you don't love what you're doing it'll become work in the most pejorative sense. The stuff that is most important to us shouldn't be compromised.

edit: An additional point to consider: Is it fair to the band to sign on someone whose heart isn't fully in it?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I say go for it if it means you're going to start doing promo photos in one of those pink suits. Should photoshop nicely 'round these parts. :shifty:

The music didn't really impress me. Unless this is a gig that would help keep a roof over your head that's otherwise going away, I say keep at the passion project. Doc is right, too, that the band deserves to have someone who actually wants to be there.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I think the band are pretty decent by the way.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Thanks all, you've mostly confirmed my suspicions. I've also got some inside knowledge that working in the band is not quite a democracy. The rightmost pink-suited guy is quitting the band because it's too stressful for him to spend all his money on tailored suits and plane tickets to NY to open for Cindy Williams in front of an audience that has never heard of them.

Heston wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 1:54pm
I think the band are pretty decent by the way.

I think musically they are generally sound, but they are lacking something special, considering the image they're trying to project. They're just a little bland for my taste. There's a lot of filler on their albums, and as I mentioned, the lyrics ain't anything to write home about ("where did you get that mojo from/you're like a brand-new stick of bubble gum"). Unfortunately, I'm not the guy to help them with any of that stuff as I've never written a pop song in my life.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 2:43pm
Thanks all, you've mostly confirmed my suspicions. I've also got some inside knowledge that working in the band is not quite a democracy.
The lady in the UPC barcode pantsuit runs the show?
The rightmost pink-suited guy is quitting the band because it's too stressful for him to spend all his money on tailored suits and plane tickets to NY to open for Cindy Williams in front of an audience that has never heard of them.
How else are you ever go to meet Lenny or Squiggy?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 2:55pm
Kory wrote:
Thanks all, you've mostly confirmed my suspicions. I've also got some inside knowledge that working in the band is not quite a democracy.
That's my understanding. I hear it's quite a struggle to shift things in a direction if she's not into it. It was described to me that things most often go her way. She's the only original member, so it's kinda her band, I think.
Kory wrote:
The rightmost pink-suited guy is quitting the band because it's too stressful for him to spend all his money on tailored suits and plane tickets to NY to open for Cindy Williams in front of an audience that has never heard of them.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
How else are you ever go to meet Lenny or Squiggy?
My life's goal, ruined!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
That's my understanding. I hear it's quite a struggle to shift things in a direction if she's not into it. It was described to me that things most often go her way. She's the only original member, so it's kinda her band, I think.
And what kind of band fires the original member?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:07pm
Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
And what kind of band fires the original member?

Now we know to the fire whose feet we should have held!

That sentence was fun to write.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

is everyone's expectations for the next stuff I produce going to be really high in light of declining the invitation to this band?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:11pm
is everyone's expectations for the next stuff I produce going to be really high in light of declining the invitation to this band?
I expect to grow gills and wings after just one listen, and then one new superpower mutation every five listens thereafter.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:19pm
Kory wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 3:11pm
I expect to grow gills and wings after just one listen, and then one new superpower mutation every five listens thereafter.
Believe me, if I could just get the gills right, I could die happy.