Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Need advice quick

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 9:18pm
Kory wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 7:42pm
Thank you. I do not have high hopes.
I think youre approaching this in a reasonable way. Similar to a job where they tell you how things will be but you dont know for sure until you give it a try.
I agree that Kory's approaching this well. Personally, I'm usually miserable unless I feel I can walk away from something if I don't like where it's heading or how I feel about my participation. I'm most productive, most creative when I know that I have that escape hatch handy. But eliminate that option and my mood sours and my output reflects it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 1:19am
Kory wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 8:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 5:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 4:44pm

Kinda sounds like we have consensus here that Kory is clearly the best part of this band.
Kory has very interesting tastes in music with his love of jazz, post punk, prog etc. He is very capable of producing something way more interesting and challenging than that band.
Well the idea is that we're starting over from scratch. I think I have to play two outstanding shows with the old material because we won't have time to write anything new, but after that, it's all-new material with the same band name. We've talked about our mutual interest in Gang of Four, Magazine, etc. so hopefully something will come of that which is good without being derivative.

But yeah, I'm certainly worried that the songwriting chemistry won't be there. In which case I guess I'll jump ship.
I think a totally fresh approach with a new name would be better.
Where the heck were you when I was agonizing over what decision to make
In hospital having a lump of pizza removed from my colon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 9:46am
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 5:25pm

Kory has very interesting tastes in music with his love of jazz, post punk, prog etc. He is very capable of producing something way more interesting and challenging than that band.
Well the idea is that we're starting over from scratch. I think I have to play two outstanding shows with the old material because we won't have time to write anything new, but after that, it's all-new material with the same band name. We've talked about our mutual interest in Gang of Four, Magazine, etc. so hopefully something will come of that which is good without being derivative.

But yeah, I'm certainly worried that the songwriting chemistry won't be there. In which case I guess I'll jump ship.
When were you in Seattle?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 2:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Serious Pie
316 Virginia St, Seattle, WA 98101-1117

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 3:51pm
Kory wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 2:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Serious Pie
316 Virginia St, Seattle, WA 98101-1117
Been there.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Update that should please Marky: The other two guys in the band decided not to quit after all, so Astra asked me if I'd rather join TGT, or start something new with her on the side. I chose that option, so we're starting from scratch with sound and vision, and that makes me feel a lot better about the prospect. Except that since I'm likely to be moving out of the state in a couple years, I feel kind of like I'm wasting my time writing for a project that I don't get to follow through on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 5:22pm
Update that should please Marky: The other two guys in the band decided not to quit after all, so Astra asked me if I'd rather join TGT, or start something new with her on the side. I chose that option, so we're starting from scratch with sound and vision, and that makes me feel a lot better about the prospect. Except that since I'm likely to be moving out of the state in a couple years, I feel kind of like I'm wasting my time writing for a project that I don't get to follow through on.
Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. What everyone wants to know is whether you'll be wearing a pink suit. C'mon, play to your audience here!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

You could call the new project Tech Boys

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
In a couple of years we could be saying ‘remember Kory he started that band and as soon as they made it big he sold out’ 😊

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Two years to create something cool. Keep us informed of your progress mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Update: after the other two guys decided not to quit, I was asked if I wanted to fold the side thing into the main band, which I decided to go for after weeks of agonizing. I have been a little uncomfortable by some of the songwriting being derivative, though. The band makes me feel like I'm the jerk that has to say no to or overthink every song, but I grew into music thinking that ripping off other bands' sounds was mostly unforgivable. I guess I'm still a little ambivalent because it's fun to play music with people, but:

at what point do you think wearing your influences on your sleeve becomes dealbreaking rip-off art?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 6:24pm
Update: after the other two guys decided not to quit, I was asked if I wanted to fold the side thing into the main band, which I decided to go for after weeks of agonizing. I have been a little uncomfortable by some of the songwriting being derivative, though. The band makes me feel like I'm the jerk that has to say no to or overthink every song, but I grew into music thinking that ripping off other bands' sounds was mostly unforgivable. I guess I'm still a little ambivalent because it's fun to play music with people, but:

at what point do you think wearing your influences on your sleeve becomes dealbreaking rip-off art?
First off, sorry that the experience thus far has been frustrating, and not in a productive sense. But I'm not sure I think "rip-off art" is necessarily some kind of sin. That is, I'm skeptical about how we privilege originality and self-creation as the essence of authenticity. That's pretty much a standard component of rockism (borrowed from folk) and a weapon to be used against pop. But why can't variation on someone else's work be valued as legitimate? That's not to say that I fall on the side against originality, only that it's a standard that is entirely ideological. Instead of the standard being the work, I'd suggest it be your satisfaction. If the satisfaction in performance isn't there, that's when you wonder about continuing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Your position is admirable Kory but originality is a pretty tall order isn't it? I guess it depends a lot on how you define it. I think its more than possible to be influenced and for those influences to show without blatantly ripping off another artist.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I agree with Doc and Rev. If the ends justifies the means it is worth it. I daresay Rancid live happy lives.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board