Is any music/band a deal breaker for you?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Is any music/band a deal breaker for you?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

eumaas wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 10:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 10:06am
eumaas wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 3:50am
Don’t give a shit. Musical taste has nothing to fo with character.
It's a nice sentiment, but it's too sweeping, I think. As an example, do you think someone who listens primarily to Nazi punk could also be a decent person?
That’s an extreme outlier. The interest in Nazi music is driven by the interest in the ideology. That’s also a tiny minority of music and not really the grounds of the conversation given WK’s example of jazz, which is a major genre. So yeah, you can make that objection, but it doesn’t have all that much force.
It is extreme, definitely. But it is a notable sub-genre—fascism within punk isn't that minor—so I don't think it can be brushed aside. I imagine there's an explicitly racist and sexist sub-genre of country, too. So I disagree that they can be waved away in this kind of exercise.
I am arguing that liking Wire is no indicator that someone is a good person, nor that being a Billy Joel listener is a predictor for bad behavior. By way of example, consider how upset people were that David Cameron loves the Smiths, or that Paul Ryan is a Rage Against the Machine listener (although I think they kinda blow but that’s me).

When I was a teenager I usually made friends & even had romantic interests based on music taste. A common experience for those of us who got into punk, I expect. As I got older, I came to see there were plenty of assholes with gold taste and good people with bad taste. I still made some friends over music, but I stopped taking a difference in taste personally.
I agree with you, of course. I went thru my phase of being snobbish and judgmental and attributing great meaning to what people listened to. It's silly and shallow tribalism. Still, odds are I'm not going to want to hang out with a Grateful Dead fan without some serious ground rules set up. :shifty:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The older you get the less you care what anyone else likes just worry about yourself.
As a teenager it did matter I guess because I was more involved in the music I listened to and in a way it shaped your lifestyle, the way you dressed, the places you went etc.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I think as long as someone is truly passionate about music I can at least understand. I might not like it, but I can relate. Kenny Chesney is playing Milwaukee tonight and it seems like half of my FB feed is full of people gushing about how awesome it is. I think he’s a hack...but people seem to dig him.

I’m going to see Franz Ferdinand on Monday night and I suppose there are people who would judge my tastes.

I try not to judge...and maybe I’ve been lucky in the fact that I was exposed to a lot of diverse music at a young age.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I mean...this is a great example of something I think sucks on all levels...but clearly there are a lot people who really dig this (...poor souls...) - but I’d struggle to discuss music with someone who worshiped Phish. Sure...I’d try to find common ground...but my opinion of their musical taste would already be soured...

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 10:26pm
I think as long as someone is truly passionate about music I can at least understand. I might not like it, but I can relate. Kenny Chesney is playing Milwaukee tonight and it seems like half of my FB feed is full of people gushing about how awesome it is. I think he’s a hack...but people seem to dig him.

I’m going to see Franz Ferdinand on Monday night and I suppose there are people who would judge my tastes.

I try not to judge...and maybe I’ve been lucky in the fact that I was exposed to a lot of diverse music at a young age.
Happens to me all the time I just say no thanks I don’t want to go.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

If Kenny Ball and his jazzmen counts as authentic jazz then I can truthfully say I like a little bit of it. And that’s how I feel about most music genres, I can take a bit of nearly all of them bar one which is rap. That’s my dealbreaker and what increasingly pushes me inexorably towards grandad status totally unable to relate to what the kids are groovin to these days.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 10:32pm

I mean...this is a great example of something I think sucks on all levels...but clearly there are a lot people who really dig this (...poor souls...) - but I’d struggle to discuss music with someone who worshiped Phish. Sure...I’d try to find common ground...but my opinion of their musical taste would already be soured...
This and the neverending winter are two things I hate about Vermont. When the subject of Phish come up I either shut it down in a way that is a conversational killer or politely change the subject. I actually met the drummer at a friend's party once. Nice guy, we didn't discuss music at all.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 3:04pm
JennyB wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 2:52pm
I mean, I find my husband's music taste to be pretty awful - he is known 'round these parts as "Van Hagar" after all, but I love the guy, so what am I gonna do? And yes, we DID get into an actual argument the other day because I said that Billy Joel sucks and he replied, "well, he's better than Kate Bush" which is obviously WRONG, but again, whaddya gonna do? And sure, we also got into an argument once because I said I'd rather sleep with Steve Buscemi than Mark Wahlberg and he didn't believe me, but, you know, such is life in marriage.

This is why I am trying to break the cycle by brainwashing our son.
I think Hubis has far worse opinions.
He's just does his stuff to mean girl troll. I like to make fun of him for his Brooklyn Chanteuse obsession.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 10:48am
WestwayKid wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 10:32pm

This and the neverending winter are two things I hate about Vermont. When the subject of Phish come up I either shut it down in a way that is a conversational killer or politely change the subject. I actually met the drummer at a friend's party once. Nice guy, we didn't discuss music at all.
There is a Saturday morning request show on the only good radio station in Milwaukee and last summer I was running errands and it was a great day and then someone requested this clunker and it was total mood killer! Ha, ha! :mrgreen:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I want to add that a person liking a band would not be a deal breaker for me. However, I have found, at least where I live, that Greatful Dead fans tend to be huge assholes. And they are always the first to point out that *I* am the one with the shitty music taste. I have had two deadheads recently make fun of me for my Depeche Mode fandom (and I didn't bring up the topic of music, they did). One of them even said "hahahaha, they're still around?" I responded, "you really think that you should be asking me that?"
Got a Rake? Sure!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 11:21am
I want to add that a person liking a band would not be a deal breaker for me. However, I have found, at least where I live, that Greatful Dead fans tend to be huge assholes. And they are always the first to point out that *I* am the one with the shitty music taste. I have had two deadheads recently make fun of me for my Depeche Mode fandom (and I didn't bring up the topic of music, they did). One of them even said "hahahaha, they're still around?" I responded, "you really think that you should be asking me that?"
Oh, yeah. I used to work in a pizza place as their token punk (my buddy Charles was their token goth), and the prevailing hippie workforce not only had the shittiest taste in music, they used to make the dumbest swipes at music they didn't like, including the insane idea that Tom Waits' music had "no concept of rhythm."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 1:04pm
JennyB wrote:
Oh, yeah. I used to work in a pizza place as their token punk (my buddy Charles was their token goth), and the prevailing hippie workforce not only had the shittiest taste in music, they used to make the dumbest swipes at music they didn't like, including the insane idea that Tom Waits' music had "no concept of rhythm."
Ugh.
Got a Rake? Sure!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 1:24pm
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Ugh.
I've also found jam band fans can be pretty superior. I once had the "nerve" to criticize some Phish lyrics on Facebook and several months later I posted some other lyrics - can't remember what - but from a band/musician I liked - and one of my friends who likes Phish remembered my earlier comment and made sure to say something like "you made fun of Phish, but you like this?"

There is also a relatively well known "trendy" dive bar in town that is known for playing Dead bootlegs pretty much around the clock and woe be the patron who dares make a negative comment about Jerry and Company. I've only been in there a couple of times - but the music usually gets to me. I don't think any human needs to hear a 45 minute version of Dark Star...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Sartre understood that hell is other people's taste in music.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft