corecore vanguard

Gibson files for bankruptcy

Post by Inder »

Bummer.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Gibson files for bankruptcy

Post by Kory »

From what I've heard, the quality control has gotten much worse.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
03 May 2018, 5:43pm
From what I've heard, the quality control has gotten much worse.
My brother Matt has at least three Les Paul's, all of fairly recent vintage, and he's forever having work done on them. Don't know if that's because of crappy craftsmanship or just due to the fact that he's really into odd tuning's and such and needs the necks scoped and better bridges or different pickups put in or what.

Very sad if Gibson can't still produce though (despite the fact that they're bloody expensive and a lot of young peeps dig 'em just for the name, whereas an Epiphone would probably do them just fine).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

They've been a dumpster fire of mismanagement for years. Middle/upper management became a haven for psychopathic Randoid micromagers as the ownership group got more out-of-touch, and employee morale has been underwater and sucked dry from brain drain. Read some of the reviews on Glassdoor; they've been pointing to this day being an inevitability for a long time now.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm an Ibanez or Fender man, myself. Basswise, anyway.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
04 May 2018, 5:58pm
My bro plays an Ibanez 5 string bass, and another 5 string - a Jackson or something, another custom job. So what do you use? P-bass? Jazz?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
04 May 2018, 11:08pm
Kory wrote:
My bro plays an Ibanez 5 string bass, and another 5 string - a Jackson or something, another custom job. So what do you use? P-bass? Jazz?
I have an old Ibanez Roadstar II that has some really great pickups, an Ibanez EDC which allows for some nice articulation, and then for Fender, I'm into the Jazz basses. I also have a Fender Aerodyne which has a J-bass body with a P/J pickup combo which sounds huge. I recently also picked up a '76 Gibson G-3 from back when they were a reliable company, which is kind of my holy grail rock bass.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2018, 12:21pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
I have an old Ibanez Roadstar II that has some really great pickups, an Ibanez EDC which allows for some nice articulation, and then for Fender, I'm into the Jazz basses. I also have a Fender Aerodyne which has a J-bass body with a P/J pickup combo which sounds huge. I recently also picked up a '76 Gibson G-3 from back when they were a reliable company, which is kind of my holy grail rock bass.
Nice. Is the G-3 the same as the Grabber? My brother used to have a Ripper - same as the Grabber/G-3 except with the classic Les Paul style head stock, white with black pick-guard.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
07 May 2018, 6:33pm
Kory wrote:
07 May 2018, 12:21pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
Nice. Is the G-3 the same as the Grabber? My brother used to have a Ripper - same as the Grabber/G-3 except with the classic Les Paul style head stock, white with black pick-guard.
Basically, yeah. It's a later version of the Grabber but with 3 single coil pickups instead of the sliding soapbar: "Grabber 3 Pickups." Rippers are cool too, but I prefer the Flying-V headstock. Plus Gene Simmons plays them, so that's a bit of a turnoff.