Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

:?:
Inder wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 1:27pm
In terms of sound, I always thought Oasis were much more ELO than Beatles.
Yeah I get that. A heavier bombastic ELO.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:37am
I've been listening to Harrison's solo catalog over the past couple of days. I really did like Cloud 9 when it came out and I still do - but man, it sounds a lot like ELO - which called to mind a great post by Steve Hoffman:

Funny, I CAN'T STAND non-ELO Jeff Lynne produced records.

Why?

I'll tell you:

HE MAKES EVERYTHING SOUND LIKE ELO!!!!!!

He makes Tom Petty sound like ELO.
He makes Roy Orbison sound like ELO.
He makes George Harrison sound like ELO.
He makes the friggin' BEATLES sound like ELO on FREE AS A BIRD.
I said something very similar in a thread recently after watching a Jeff Lynne documentary.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 3:48pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:37am
I've been listening to Harrison's solo catalog over the past couple of days. I really did like Cloud 9 when it came out and I still do - but man, it sounds a lot like ELO - which called to mind a great post by Steve Hoffman:

Funny, I CAN'T STAND non-ELO Jeff Lynne produced records.

Why?

I'll tell you:

HE MAKES EVERYTHING SOUND LIKE ELO!!!!!!

He makes Tom Petty sound like ELO.
He makes Roy Orbison sound like ELO.
He makes George Harrison sound like ELO.
He makes the friggin' BEATLES sound like ELO on FREE AS A BIRD.
I said something very similar in a thread recently after watching a Jeff Lynne documentary.
Happy Friday with a little Electric Light Orchestra!

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Bands/musicians that didn't translate well across the Atlantic? Kind of an vague question - but thinking it could lead to some interesting discussions. I've always been interested in Bruce Springsteen, for instance. Growing up in a Rust Belt city in the 1980's - his imagery always hit home because it's what I saw growing up. How well did that message cross the ocean?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 10:48am
Bands/musicians that didn't translate well across the Atlantic? Kind of an vague question - but thinking it could lead to some interesting discussions. I've always been interested in Bruce Springsteen, for instance. Growing up in a Rust Belt city in the 1980's - his imagery always hit home because it's what I saw growing up. How well did that message cross the ocean?
I was going to mention this in the XTC thread that just started, but generally speaking bands that seem excessively English, that don't seem "cosmopolitan" enough, tend not to catch on in North America. XTC fits that bill, so did the Jam or Blur (notably, Blur's only success was "Song 2," which is very American sounding).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
Springsteen is pretty big over here. He sold out the football stadium near me aboiut 3 years ago, I could hear the bastard soundchecking from 3 miles away.

I don't think country music does too well over here, and is usually ridiculed.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 10:54am
WestwayKid wrote:
I was going to mention this in the XTC thread that just started, but generally speaking bands that seem excessively English, that don't seem "cosmopolitan" enough, tend not to catch on in North America. XTC fits that bill, so did the Jam or Blur (notably, Blur's only success was "Song 2," which is very American sounding).
Even the Kinks have had their issues, though how much of that was down to Ray Davies having a bad time with the US in the late 60s abs throwing up his hands about it is probably up for debate.

Weirdly, for all my bitching about the limeys over the years, I usually love “English” sounding bands (the only exception out of the ones listed so far is Blur, but the Englishness is less a turnoff and more that I’m kind of unimpressed by them.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:13am
WestwayKid wrote:
Springsteen is pretty big over here. He sold out the football stadium near me aboiut 3 years ago, I could hear the bastard soundchecking from 3 miles away.

How did REM do over there in the early 90s? I know the American and British 90s were almost two parallel decades in a lot of ways.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Oh, just thought of one: the Manic Street Preachers seem fairly famous in the UK, but their American fan base is basically enough to have them play mid-range clubs. I mean, said clubs are packed with passionate fans singing along to every verse, but almost no one talks about them here otherwise.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Springsteen was big here from the time of Born To Run. I think the message he was carrying, small town life with all its challenges is pretty transferable to most places and I think the fact that we tend to grow up here immersed in US culture on tv makes it easier to sink in. Least in my experience anyway.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:26am
Oh, just thought of one: the Manic Street Preachers seem fairly famous in the UK, but their American fan base is basically enough to have them play mid-range clubs. I mean, said clubs are packed with passionate fans singing along to every verse, but almost no one talks about them here otherwise.
I was thinking about them when I wrote the original question. The times I've seen them in the US - they have been in small to mid-range clubs.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:24am
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:13am
WestwayKid wrote:

How did REM do over there in the early 90s? I know the American and British 90s were almost two parallel decades in a lot of ways.
Fairly big from Green onwards, massive from Losing My Religion onwards.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

After the baffling popularity of “Wonderwall,” did Oasis maintain a sizeable fan base in the US or did the go back to being UK big only?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:02pm
After the baffling popularity of “Wonderwall,” did Oasis maintain a sizeable fan base in the US or did the go back to being UK big only?
They had fans, but again, not massive like in the UK.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:02pm
They had fans, but again, not massive like in the UK.
I saw them in Milwaukee when they toured "Don't Believe the Truth" and they were booked into a 2,450 seat theater - which I think looked pretty much sold out. It was a pretty solid show, but I don't think they were selling big venues in the US by that point.