Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 11:21am
WestwayKid wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 11:16am
ONLY $59.99!!

kiss-pajamas-jumpin-jammerz-size_1_b26d733a0c2ea2a80b1bec8f5331fce5.jpg
I'm surprised Gene's face isn't on the crotch.
After taking a closer look...it appears that the only face featured belongs to Paul. These must definitely be bootleg pajamas as Gene would never allow something like that.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 9:53am
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 9:26am
Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 9:19pm
Haven't worn a band t-shirt since I got my fingers burnt with the "Frankie Says" debacle. I have a big KISS t-shirt but use it as a nightgown.
To be sung to the tune of Matchstick Men.

Heston wore his Frankie says "Relax" t-shirt with pride
La la la la
Unbeknownst to him that it was just a piece of snide
La la la la
Now he sits by the old school gates and dreads seeing his mates
'Cause Frankie says it's a shame you just can't hide

He tried hiding in the bus shelter and the local bogs
La la la la
He gets chased by all the old folks walking their dogs
La la la la
Now he's nowhere left to roam so he heads off home
Just wishing his mum had bought him better togs

Now if only his mum had got him a KISS t-shirt instead
La la la la
Just like the one these days that he wears to bed
La la la la
Now he sits by the old school gates and awaits the piss taking from his mates
Maybe he can pull his starsky and hutch cardigan over his head
:lol:
Hahaha

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 10:39am
Wolter wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 9:59pm
JennyB wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 11:26am
Wearing an X Ray Spex shirt at a Violent Femmes concert. I didn't really have him do this on purpose, but it was 107 degrees that day, and it was the only white shirt he had at the time.
Is this the one you sent Jackson?
Yes! He outgrew it, unfortunately.
It’s awesome. It’s still a bit big on him but it’s definitely going in the rotation.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 3:23pm
JennyB wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 10:39am
Wolter wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 9:59pm
JennyB wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 11:26am
Wearing an X Ray Spex shirt at a Violent Femmes concert. I didn't really have him do this on purpose, but it was 107 degrees that day, and it was the only white shirt he had at the time.
Is this the one you sent Jackson?
Yes! He outgrew it, unfortunately.
It’s awesome. It’s still a bit big on him but it’s definitely going in the rotation.
Nice. Ari wore the shit out of it, so hopefully it's good and distressed. :)
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Let's discuss Franken-bands as in bands that still exist - but with maybe 1 original member (or heck - with no original members)!? I've always thought that idea was kind of crazy. I don't think I'd feel like I really saw a band if it wasn't really the band that had the hits or whatever. If you went and saw Thin Lizzy, for instance - would you truly feel like you'd seen Thin Lizzy or would you deep down feel like you've seen a band called Thin Lizzy that has one vintage member?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

On the one hand:

On the other hand:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I think it's much harder for it to feel like the real band if the lead singer isn't there.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 11:14am
I think it's much harder for it to feel like the real band if the lead singer isn't there.
Yeah. I tend to have that bias. Like, if you put together a PiL lineup that was Levene, Wobble, and Atkins with a new vocalist, it would A) probably be fucking awesome and B) somehow not really feel like PiL to me. Meanwhile, Lydon could go up on stage with a drum machine and my brother shittily playing a banjo and I’d think “this PiL lineup sucks but hey, it’s Lydon’s band to fuck up.”

And that even sounds stupid as I write it out, but it’s what I would think.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Thin Lizzy have 2 of the old crew I think, gorham and the guy who plays keyboards whose name I can’t recall offhand. I have no issue with them, they are respectful to the old ethos and deliver an excellent live show whenever they perform by all accounts, but without Philo it just could never work for me. Once he went the band went, he wasn’t just the singer and bassist but the soul of the whole thing as well. Some bands you just can’t conceive without a single member and Lizzy were one of those bands for me.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 11:30am
JennyB wrote:
Yeah. I tend to have that bias. Like, if you put together a PiL lineup that was Levene, Wobble, and Atkins with a new vocalist, it would A) probably be fucking awesome and B) somehow not really feel like PiL to me. Meanwhile, Lydon could go up on stage with a drum machine and my brother shittily playing a banjo and I’d think “this PiL lineup sucks but hey, it’s Lydon’s band to fuck up.”

Exactly.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Think I’ve just been essentially agreeing with this as well!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
Yup - loss of the lead singer is hard to overcome for me. I think the biggest offenders seem to be the bands that frequent state fair stages across the United States: Survivor and so on. I think what "saves" bands like that is that a lot of people who see them live have no idea who is original or not. They know the hit songs and as long as they hear Eye of the Tiger and The Search Is Over - they're happy.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 11:43am
JennyB wrote:
Yup - loss of the lead singer is hard to overcome for me. I think the biggest offenders seem to be the bands that frequent state fair stages across the United States: Survivor and so on. I think what "saves" bands like that is that a lot of people who see them live have no idea who is original or not. They know the hit songs and as long as they hear Eye of the Tiger and The Search Is Over - they're happy.
Sometimes the band carries on like The Stranglers who are on their third lead singer and they still make good records. The thing is with bassist JJ Burnel also singing on some tracks it's like having two vocalists.
The same can be said for the Buzzcocks with Diggle singing a handful of tracks and it wouldn't be Pete Shelley but I'm sure Steve Diggle could sing those songs and would have a right to do so as opposed to getting another singer. Lest not forget Shelley wasn't the original singer.
I think it's better when an original member of a band takes over as you can still identify with that person. Sometimes replacement singers are ok. The Undertones carried on with a new singer when they reformed and hey it's not feargal but he does a decent job.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Yet that boot that I posted here several years ago, with Wobble, Levene, and that Lydon imitator sounded so much like classic PiL. Maybe I'd feel different if it were a singer doing his own thing, not clearly trying to present as (young) Lydon, but it was undeniable to me that, holy shit, this is PiL.

But to your's and Jen's larger point that the singer tends to be the deal maker/killer, I agree. It's, I guess, the most human connection we have. Musical instruments are tools and anyone could be playing them, but the voice is that bit of human distinction.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The singer of From the Jam can perform the Jam hits better than Weller can these days. Hearing Weller's slow, lethargic takes on stuff like Eton Rifles just depresses me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board