Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 5:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 3:44pm
If Paul had developed working relationships—real peer collaboration and critique—like he had in the Beatles, I have no doubt his post-Beatles work would have been so much better, with fewer cringeworthy moments. A very small sample/example, but those albums he did with Youth as The Fireman are marvellous and demonstrate he can move out of his comfort zone. It's great when people don't need others as that sounding board/inspiration/collaboration, but it's no crime that some great artists do need it.
Interesting point. It got me thinking about the work he did with Elvis Costello (get well soon) back in the late 80's. I've read it wasn't the best of working relationships - but they bashed out some pretty good songs.
Couple guys used to being in charge, directing others to their vision, yeah, I could see it being a sandy experience.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 6:21pm
WestwayKid wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 5:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 3:44pm
If Paul had developed working relationships—real peer collaboration and critique—like he had in the Beatles, I have no doubt his post-Beatles work would have been so much better, with fewer cringeworthy moments. A very small sample/example, but those albums he did with Youth as The Fireman are marvellous and demonstrate he can move out of his comfort zone. It's great when people don't need others as that sounding board/inspiration/collaboration, but it's no crime that some great artists do need it.
Interesting point. It got me thinking about the work he did with Elvis Costello (get well soon) back in the late 80's. I've read it wasn't the best of working relationships - but they bashed out some pretty good songs.
Couple guys used to being in charge, directing others to their vision, yeah, I could see it being a sandy experience.
I've always liked this song and I think it's a good example of what Paul could have done more often if he'd worked with better collaborators:

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 6:59pm
I've always liked this song and I think it's a good example of what Paul could have done more often if he'd worked with better collaborators:

Never been that keen on it, but in the grander scheme of his solo work, especially what came thereafter, it's decent-ish.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It's a beautiful Tuesday in good ole' Milwaukee, Wisconsin - so new week, new question!

Coolest musician(s) you've ever met and as in met - actually had at least a brief conversation with.

John Squire in 1997 during a Seahorses gig in Milwaukee. He went off to the side of the stage (they were playing in a small venue) when Chris Helme did his brief solo set and I got up the nerve to go and say hello. Nice guy, a bit quiet - seemed flattered that some kid (I was 20) from Milwaukee knew his work as well as I did. He's long been one of my favorite guitar players.

James Dean Bradfield in late 2009. Again - a pretty small venue. Band came out and had a few drinks with the fans who had stuck around. Thanked him for coming back to the US after about a decade. He said he really liked playing the smaller US venues as it reminded him of their early days.

I'm sure many of you have better stories, so do tell!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I hung out with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones backstage at a concert a few years ago, that was awesome. We talked about steak.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Not in the category of cool, but I mentioned a few weeks ago that the missuz and I paid for the deluxe meet n greet when several of the Trashcan Sinatras came to town. Nice guys who, as a friend of mine observed, are at the stage of their career where they're truly appreciative of fans who want to see them. My Swans shirt kinda freaked out/mystified one of them (as in, you like them and us?) and discussion of a Beatles book we both loved impressed another.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Joe Strummer - Worcester Palladium in 2001
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/joe-stru ... 48453.html
We started talking with Scott Shields at the pub across the street before show. He was eating at the bar because he wasn't into whatever the venue got for the band. Nice guy. Short chat. We went to the show and it was great. Afterwards we went to the pub again for an hour or so. We were walking to my friend's car and there is Scott Shields again chatting with Martin Slattery. We told them we had a great time and I was thinking that would be that when Shields says, "Do you want to meet Joe?". We answered yes naturally and were led onto the tour bus. Joe was great, friendly as hell. He made us rum and cokes while we smoked a joint on the couch. Joe said loved playing anywhere around New York and Boston even theough we were all cheeky assholes. The night ended when Joe said it was time to hit the road and he was going to nap and wake up at the Canadian Border and we had to get all the weed off the bus.

Bob Mould - c 1996 Amherst, MA - Bob asked me for a light and said it was his birthday. I said it was my birthday too. He asked for proof and I showed him my drivers licence. He high fived me and gave me a shoat out at the show by saying, "Happy Birthday Steve and thanks for the light". My name is not Steve.

The Violent Femmes - Earth Day concert at Foxboro Stadium c 1991 - My friend and I volunteered at some information booth at the stadium and our reward was lunch. We saw Steve Miller and Fishbone dining together and took the table next to them to listen in. Just after we sat down Gordon Gano sat across from up and said the table was reserved for C list bands but we were welcome to stay. Nice guys.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I almost met Mick Jones when I was in line to see BAD II in 1992 and he was walking into the venue. If by almost meeting Mick Jones means I loudly proclaimed "Oh my god, it's Mick Jones!" and him giving me a wave.

I met the guys from Live, but that's not cool.

I should have met Joe Strummer after his show in Columbia, MO in 1999, but I was really drunk and my stupid boyfriend at the time didn't want to wait around to meet him.

I walked by Slash in Vegas.

I was in an elevator with the guy from Poison and a groupie and laughed.

I took VH, Jr. to see the Violent Femmes last summer and we were in line to meet them but a lightening storm was moving in and VH, Jr. got scared (I don't blame him).

My mom sat next to Glen Campbell on a flight and that is way cooler than anyone I have ever met.
Last edited by JennyB on 10 Jul 2018, 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:36am

The Violent Femmes - Earth Day concert at Foxboro Stadium c 1991 - My friend and I volunteered at some information booth at the stadium and our reward was lunch. We saw Steve Miller and Fishbone dining together and took the table next to them to listen in. Just after we sat down Gordon Gano sat across from up and said the table was reserved for C list bands but we were welcome to stay. Nice guys.
I am so glad to hear this. I am kind of in love with Gordon, so this makes me happy.

Also, Steve Miller and Fishbone? :lol:
Last edited by JennyB on 10 Jul 2018, 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:34am
Not in the category of cool, but I mentioned a few weeks ago that the missuz and I paid for the deluxe meet n greet when several of the Trashcan Sinatras came to town. Nice guys who, as a friend of mine observed, are at the stage of their career where they're truly appreciative of fans who want to see them. My Swans shirt kinda freaked out/mystified one of them (as in, you like them and us?) and discussion of a Beatles book we both loved impressed another.
This is the Docest of Doc stories ever.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The "not in the category of cool" was a dead giveaway.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:59am
JennyB wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The "not in the category of cool" was a dead giveaway.
Good point. :shifty:

I forgot to mention that VH met Garth Brooks at a wedding. He isn't familiar with his music, so they talked about when he was on SNL. Scott said he was super nice.
Got a Rake? Sure!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I'm dating myself but a friend from college and I drove to Atlanta for a pair of shows at the Agora Ballroom: The Police on Friday and Joe Jackson on Saturday. After arriving in Atlanta, we walked around trying to find the club (I was crashing at GA Tech for the weekend). Around 3 pm, we ended up on the back steps of the Ballroom when a blue limo pulled up and out get the Police and 3 other guys in suits. They walked past us and into the club - we followed along. The band went through their sound check -just plunking stuff and checking levels (they smashed a bass drum head which I kept on my walls over the years). We ended up leaving after a while. When we came back for the show, I was center stage watching the Swimming Pool Q's, hands on the stage, when I notice Sting over my left shoulder. I went up to him and started talking about music (he liked the SPQ's). He excused himself saying he had to get ready for the show. I made my way back to the front of the stage. The Police come out and did a couple of numbers. They were in the middle of Roxanne when Sting starts chatting with the crowd, mentioning he feels they're rather quiet. I'm about 5-6 feet from Sting's feet when I let out a BUH - a kind of yell my high school was known for (very proud of my high school education). Sting says "That's really great, come on up here and do it". I get pulled on stage and BUH-ed into the microphone for about 15 seconds. He says "Great - now get down." Overall, he was friendly - no sign of the raging ego that he's supposed to display. It was a very good show. Roxanne was just starting to hit the airwaves. They had a limited catalog.

We went back the next afternoon and caught Joe Jackson's soundcheck. He actually played songs. After he came down off the stage, we introduced ourselves and discussed music for quite a while. He was a bit eccentric. We spoke for about 15 minutes. He had a really great show - most of Look Sharp and closed with "Ain't that a shame" which was big for Cheap Trick at the time. I think it was broadcast on an FM station.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

My cousin got to hang out with Black Flag sometime in the early 80's. I wish I could remember the story better. It was at a small Milwaukee club. They somehow met up with the opening act who took them backstage after the show and they drank beer and chatted with both groups (minus Henry). The highlight was when someone asked my cousin and his buddy if they wanted to meet Henry and they of course said yes - so they followed the guy out into the empty club and Rollins was sitting all by himself on the stage. I guess he was friendly enough, said hello and thanked them for coming, but then said "I love this place. The lights make me sweat" and that was the end of the conversation.

My cousin and I also met Keith Morris after one of those Rollins Band/West Memphis Three benefit shows. We got tossed out after the first set (the one where Morris did his Black Flag songs) for daring to jump around in front of the stage. We sadly walked to drink at the bar in the dive hotel across the street to wait for our buddies and ran into Morris crossing the street. Seemed like a really jumpy guy. We tried talking to him - but he was on a mission going wherever he was going.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I've met loads too many to mention.

Favourite ones : In no order.

Joe Strummer : A lovely guy who seemed more interested in what I was doing. Joe was working with Richard Norris from The Grid and living close to Basingstoke at the time.
Ray Davies : A gentlemen and a true legend in my eyes.
Steve Diggle : Shared a pint with Steve and he was great fun and we chatted about the Buzzcocks.
Stuart Adamson : Lovely guy and sadly missed.
Captain Sensible : Top fellow and a good laugh just as you would expect.
Mick Jones : It's Mick a diamond geezer, nuff said.
Lemmy and Rat Scabies : Top geezers both, they were real salt of the earth people.
The Manic Street Preachers after a show at the Reading After Dark club, this was before the release of their first album. All good chaps.

I'm still waiting to meet Heston and I hope he's armed with badges and a CD. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia