Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 10:35am
Oh yeah, I helped the lead singer of REO Speedwagon move furniture once.
I've heard he's a super nice dude from more than one person.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 10:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 10:42am
matedog wrote:
Which is fantastic because of (a) the weirdness of the event and (b) the "hey, you're that guy from that thing" quality of the person.
I think I've told the story before, but he lived in the same town as me and a friend was neighbors with him. Me and Matt Patrol were trying to get things going with our band and the friend offered to get us in touch with him to give us "career advice." He basically told us to do a three song demo, not a four song demo and then we moved his couch.
Did he explain the rationale behind the superiority of the three-song demo/inferiority of the four-song demo? I can appreciate it from a "time is valuable" perspective and if you can't sell yourself in your three best songs, it ain't gonna happen in four, but I'm curious whether there's some kind of unspoken industry standard that with destroy the ignorant.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 11:27am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Which is fantastic because of (a) the weirdness of the event and (b) the "hey, you're that guy from that thing" quality of the person.
I think I've told the story before, but he lived in the same town as me and a friend was neighbors with him. Me and Matt Patrol were trying to get things going with our band and the friend offered to get us in touch with him to give us "career advice." He basically told us to do a three song demo, not a four song demo and then we moved his couch.
Did he explain the rationale behind the superiority of the three-song demo/inferiority of the four-song demo? I can appreciate it from a "time is valuable" perspective and if you can't sell yourself in your three best songs, it ain't gonna happen in four, but I'm curious whether there's some kind of unspoken industry standard that with destroy the ignorant.
I think it was just "keep it snappy."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Could it have been "keep it sappy"? :yuck:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 11:33am
matedog wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Could it have been "keep it sappy"? :yuck:
They might be the wimpiest looking band ever.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

This is not something I am particularly proud of but I think I may be unique in the annals of Clash fandom by being the only fan to meet Joe Strummer and instead of an invitation to a raucous all night drinking session, I found him a little bit cranky and uncommunicative. Not that I held it against him in any way. I think he was just in a foul mood that night for some reason. Or maybe that's just the effect I have on famous people!

I also managed to raise the hackles of the Proclaimers by insisting I was a big fan (quite true at the time) and then ruining it by either referring to Charlie as Craig or to Craig as Charlie, forget which, and which did not impress them very much.

On a happier note I once shared a pot of tea with Keith Duffy from Boyzone and found him to be a top bloke.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 11:54am
They might be the wimpiest looking band ever.
It was the early 80s. All pop bands were wimpy looking and shitty sounding. That was our thing back then.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 12:06pm
This is not something I am particularly proud of but I think I may be unique in the annals of Clash fandom by being the only fan to meet Joe Strummer and instead of an invitation to a raucous all night drinking session, I found him a little bit cranky and uncommunicative. Not that I held it against him in any way. I think he was just in a foul mood that night for some reason. Or maybe that's just the effect I have on famous people!
I suppose you can just catch someone on a bad day. My mate asked Rick Buckler for his drumsticks and he replied, "You could at least wait until the end of the show, we haven't fucking started yet mate." :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 1:35pm
Low Down Low wrote:
I suppose you can just catch someone on a bad day. My mate asked Rick Buckler for his drumsticks and he replied, "You could at least wait until the end of the show, we haven't fucking started yet mate." :mrgreen:
Ha, i did at least wait till the end of the show alright and did sense all might not be well when I heard joe snap at somebody in the backstage area, something to do with not being able to find his favourite pair of jeans or something, and there'd also being a bit of toing and froing with the stadium security about the final encore which may have contributed to his bad mood as well. Not that there was any bother in signing my Global copy or posing for the obligatory photo and, at a guess, I'd say I was probably the 20th schmuck to have approached him that night. Could easily have told me to fuck off and it wouldnt have bothered me, but he didn't. He was totally professional about it.

There is a small coda to the story in that, through a fairly distant acquaintance of mine who was friendly with Shane MacGowan, I was later ushered into the VIP area of a nearby nightclub owned by a famous rock star who would not exactly be flavour of the month around these parts, and there watched over by a group of five or six guys sat Joe and Shane having a quiet drink and a chat. Not really having anything to say and just standing there like a prize tool for probably no more than 1 or 2 minutes, I made my humble apologies and headed for the exit.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yup, like any job - sometimes you just have a bad day. I've seen The Church several times and once watched Marty Willson-Piper storm off the stage during the encore. The rest of the band finished the song and then Steve Kilbey walked to the side and chatted with Marty and then came back and said he wouldn't be rejoining because he "was just done with club's worthless PA".

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 11:21am
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yup, like any job - sometimes you just have a bad day. I've seen The Church several times and once watched Marty Willson-Piper storm off the stage during the encore. The rest of the band finished the song and then Steve Kilbey walked to the side and chatted with Marty and then came back and said he wouldn't be rejoining because he "was just done with club's worthless PA".
I know in a live situation people think differently but why sulk about the P.A. being shit. Why not give the fans something special instead like staying on stage and getting out acoustic guitars. I've seen bands do this before. Those people paid hard earned money to see you so respect it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 11:49am
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 11:21am
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I know in a live situation people think differently but why sulk about the P.A. being shit. Why not give the fans something special instead like staying on stage and getting out acoustic guitars. I've seen bands do this before. Those people paid hard earned money to see you so respect it.
Good question, but then again Willson-Piper is the same guy who basically quit the band by just no longer replying to phone calls, emails, and so on.

The rest of the band finished the encore and did a great job. Peter Koppes did a FANTASTIC job of merging both guitar parts on an absolutely stunning version of Tantalized.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Great British Invasion LP's NOT released by the Beatles. I'm willing to toss the Stones into the mix. This topic definitely inspired by the Small Faces thread. Their 1967 self-titled LP for Immediate is fantastic and one of my favorites. I'll also throw The Animals on Tour out there - great record. Really gritty.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pre-Tommy Who—fuckin' dynamite. In many ways, I'd prefer it if they'd broken up over Pete's demands to go high concept and their legacy being those first three records and singles.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 11:53am
Pre-Tommy Who—fuckin' dynamite. In many ways, I'd prefer it if they'd broken up over Pete's demands to go high concept and their legacy being those first three records and singles.
Dr. Medulla...he won't get fooled again!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia