Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton »

Love Cindi but Madonna and I were in love 83-88.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Think Holiday on TOTP was first time I saw her and there was something very likable about it and I don’t just mean her looks! Also really liked Borderline.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 5:09pm
Think Holiday on TOTP was first time I saw her and there was something very likable about it and I don’t just mean her looks! Also really liked Borderline.
Agreed. I inadvertently saw all 3 nights at Wembley in 1987 great shows.
She peaked at Like A Prayer 1988.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Curious to know about your music habits. I've pretty much loved music since I was a kid. It just hooked me early and so I started listening and learning and collecting from an early age. I started with the basics, but from the basics I branched out and I still find a lot of joy in exploring new music - even old bands I've never looked at before.

I try and stay open minded, but a big thing for me is that I catch a certain music "bug" and then I listen to a particular artist a lot for a set period of time. Sometimes a week or two, sometimes more - sometimes less. I listen to their music. I read or reread books and so on.

...and then I'll suddenly lose interest and find another artist. Sometimes it takes me awhile and I'll find myself floating in between. For instance, right now I'm a big Bowie kick - working my way through his entire catalog again (he pops up at least once a year if not more). Reading the Dylan Jones bio and so on.

I think we're all big music fans around here. Just interested in hearing about how you all explore and consume music. Kind of an open ended and wide ranging question.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Not sure why it is but the older I get the more inclined I seem to be to listen to older music. Maybe thats not all that unusual. I listen to a lot of radio and watch Jools Holland and the various Festivals on tv, but a lot of the newer bands I come across just dont seem to grab me that much. I figure I can spend the time more usefully concentrating on older bands or artists I might not be familiar with but would be more likely to appreciate. I'd concede I am probably becoming more conservative in my tastes, but so be it, not much inclined to fight it at this stage.

I'm generally slow to turn to new technology and only recently signed up for and started using Spotify and it has changed my approach radically. Much more inclined now to pick an artist and download everything and work through the catalogue from A to Z. Like you I did that with Bowie when I got the Dylan Jones book earlier this year. NOt the biggest Bowie fan on the planet, so it was an interesting voyage of discovery and very informative. I guess I could have done that with You Tube but its much more awkward and time consuming doing it that way.

Even in the past 6 months the range of my listening has become so much more diverse, and I thought it was pretty diverse before that. I have so many gaps in my music education and trying to fill them is a lot of fun.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 8:06am
Curious to know about your music habits. I've pretty much loved music since I was a kid. It just hooked me early and so I started listening and learning and collecting from an early age. I started with the basics, but from the basics I branched out and I still find a lot of joy in exploring new music - even old bands I've never looked at before.

I try and stay open minded, but a big thing for me is that I catch a certain music "bug" and then I listen to a particular artist a lot for a set period of time. Sometimes a week or two, sometimes more - sometimes less. I listen to their music. I read or reread books and so on.

...and then I'll suddenly lose interest and find another artist. Sometimes it takes me awhile and I'll find myself floating in between. For instance, right now I'm a big Bowie kick - working my way through his entire catalog again (he pops up at least once a year if not more). Reading the Dylan Jones bio and so on.

I think we're all big music fans around here. Just interested in hearing about how you all explore and consume music. Kind of an open ended and wide ranging question.
I'm constantly on the lookout for new stuff. Whether that's contemporary or something I've overlooked from the past doesn't matter, as long as it gives me that ol feelin'. I'm similar to you in going through an artist's entire catalog before moving on, though sometimes my habits are tied up in whatever album I'm working on at the moment and what its influences are. If I'm working on something that's kind of post-punky, I'll be more inclined to listen to that kind of music, for example.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This week, it’s time for a little musical revisionism. If you could fix/improve a “flawed” album – what would you do? I was just listening to “End of the Century” by the Ramones and realizing I like it a lot more than I ever thought I did – but I’m sorry – the cover of Baby, I Love You just doesn’t work. Having the “deluxe” version – there are a few demos that would have worked better. It’s never going to be one of their best albums – but coming on the heels of their “classic” first 4 albums – it’s not bad – but that cover just kills the flow.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Any of Wire's Mute albums, but especially Manscape, I'd have them recorded without the reliance on technological gimmickry and the like. Abandon the MIDI crap and just play. There are a lot of really good songs there that were smothered by failed experimentation in technology.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Two words - Lover's Rock.

This isn't entirely on topic, but as much as I love DM's Songs of Faith and Devotion, I hated, hated hated (and still hate) Dave Gahan's look during that era. I get it. You love the grunge thing. But you are not in a grunge band and you look silly. I don't care if you were in the throes of your heroin addiction. Get a haircut.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Sorry but I love "Baby, I Love You."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 1:28pm
I don't dislike the cover - I just don't like how it fits within the context of the rest of the album.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 1:18pm

This isn't entirely on topic, but as much as I love DM's Songs of Faith and Devotion, I hated, hated hated (and still hate) Dave Gahan's look during that era. I get it. You love the grunge thing. But you are not in a grunge band and you look silly. I don't care if you were in the throes of your heroin addiction. Get a haircut.
Agree on this one. He's always been a pretty cool looking dude - but that look was awful. I guess I blame the era - but he comes across as looking like a small time truck stop dealer selling meth outside of Tulsa.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 2:01pm
JennyB wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 1:18pm

Agree on this one. He's always been a pretty cool looking dude - but that look was awful. I guess I blame the era - but he comes across as looking like a small time truck stop dealer selling meth outside of Tulsa.
That's one way of putting one of the two guys I'd leave my husband for, but OK. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 1:28pm
Remember seeing them on TOTP and thought it was great.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

joe shoulda put the vocal track version of minstrel boy on global a-go go and relegated the extended instrumental version to a (cool) b-side, thus turning his great late-era album into a perfect record.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!