JennyB wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 2:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:44pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:22am
101Walterton wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 6:04pm

I don’t believe Sid murdered Nancy. Whether she was killed by accident in which he was involved who would know and suspect we never will.
I always thought Sid could have had a great solo career IF managed properly. My Way, C’mon Everybody were great singles and a sign of what may have been.
As I have said many times on here Billy Idol had Sid’s solo career.
I agree with everything you said, though I think a great deal of Idol's success was because of his looks. Sid could have had a very respectable solo career, but I don't ever think he would have reached Idol's level of rock god/sex symbol status.
Imagine My Way on MTV!!!
I mean, it still could have worked. Look at Ric Ocasek. But still.
You think Sid flicking V's and shooting the audience and the word "cunt" in the lyrics would get heavy rotation?
well, no, but they could have edited! Also, Vs mean nothing here! :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Sid And Nancy Soundtrack

Post by 101Walterton »

Home alone on Saturday night so going to re watch Sid and Nancy and may do a double header with Swindle.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 9:13pm
Home alone on Saturday night so going to re watch Sid and Nancy and may do a double header with Swindle.
3 hours of your life you'll never get back.
Great acting from Oldman other than that it's complete tosh.
Swindle is a film I have mixed feelings about. There are some great moments of the actual band and as a film that was lit(t)erally cobbled together by Julian Temple it's a miracle it got finished. What really irks me though is Julian had better film all along and some of those clips ended up in The Filth & The Fury and the Huddersfield Xmas day doc. What fans really want is to see all the raw footage that Julian has and not some old clips of social decay in 70's Britain. What all these writers and film makers seem to forget was that punk/The Clash/Sex Pistols et all were our escape from that shit. Yes they sang about confronting your life head on but it was the rock 'n' roll that gave that it's voice not the other way around. Snobs like Jon Savage just don't fucking get this at all. Historically all very significant as to why those bands sang about their (ours) shit stuation but the reality of the times was really no fun. Who needs reminding of the 3-day working week/power cuts/strikes etc. It's no wonder kids turned the new romantics for escapism. Just like the previous generation did with glam rock. Punk was responsible for some amazing music and ideas but boy such a lot of bullshit also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

So I watched Sid And Nancy again last night. Bit cringeworthy in parts but was OK. I thought the depictition of John (apart from the opening scenes) wasn’t bad.
Who was Rock Head supposed to be, Iggy Pop? The scene at the hotel was the Inverness Court Hotel in Inverness Terrace. Not sure if the events in the scene are real but it never happened there but Ten Pole Tudor refers to Lilly Langtree being a former resident which is true. Fact and fiction confused???

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 5:55pm
Who was Rock Head supposed to be, Iggy Pop? The scene at the hotel was the Inverness Court Hotel in Inverness Terrace. Not sure if the events in the scene are real but it never happened there but Ten Pole Tudor refers to Lilly Langtree being a former resident which is true. Fact and fiction confused???
My understanding is that that whole scene was invented and, right, Rock Head was a substitute for Iggy or perhaps even Lou Reed. In terms of moving the story along, I don't know what the scene adds.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 5:55pm
So I watched Sid And Nancy again last night. Bit cringeworthy in parts but was OK. I thought the depictition of John (apart from the opening scenes) wasn’t bad.
Rock Head is just a fictional character. Iggy Pop has a small (blink and you'll miss it) cameo in the movie. He plays a "Prospective Guest" at the hotel.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

There are so many subtle funny moments in that movie. Like the follow up to the "Rod Stewart at 2:00" scene where Sid and Wally pretend to shoot the limo. In a later scene, we see the limo again and Sid shouts "alright, Rod!" A blink and miss it moment.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 12:12pm
There are so many subtle funny moments in that movie. Like the follow up to the "Rod Stewart at 2:00" scene where Sid and Wally pretend to shoot the limo. In a later scene, we see the limo again and Sid shouts "alright, Rod!" A blink and miss it moment.
I've listened to that over and over and he doesn't say "Rod" the second time when they jetison Nancy's bag very strange. That guy (Rock Head) is definitely more like Thunders than Iggy. And Thunders was around in the UK at that time while Iggy was in the states.

Nancy "wonking off" great stuff! I have to say Chloe Webb is also really great in that movie especially as they had Courtney Love on hand who desperately wanted the part. But the part where they both do the heroin for the first time and Sid gets sick is dumb as Sid had already been taking heroin much earlier prior to meeting Nancy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Did you guys know there's two characters in Britten's Albert Herring opera named Sid and Nancy? That seems like a craaaaaazy coincidence to me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 1:35pm
JennyB wrote:
I've listened to that over and over and he doesn't say "Rod" the second time when they jetison Nancy's bag very strange. That guy (Rock Head) is definitely more like Thunders than Iggy. And Thunders was around in the UK at that time while Iggy was in the states.

Nancy "wonking off" great stuff! I have to say Chloe Webb is also really great in that movie especially as they had Courtney Love on hand who desperately wanted the part. But the part where they both do the heroin for the first time and Sid gets sick is dumb as Sid had already been taking heroin much earlier prior to meeting Nancy.
Chloe Webb is astonishing in that movie. I hate to be that person, but it was a very brave performance.

What does Sid actually say?
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 2:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 1:35pm
JennyB wrote:

Chloe Webb is astonishing in that movie. I hate to be that person, but it was a very brave performance.

What does Sid actually say?
Oddly it sounds like he is saying "Rab" maybe it just got a bit jumbled and it's meant to be "Rod" as the previous scene you mentioned. Obviously a put down on whoever is meant to be in that car as a big rock star.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky are you talking about the same clip as Jenny?
Jenny was talking about the limo with blacked out windows not the car in the scene where Nancy is in the limo on way to buy drugs and they church her stuff out.

Sid says Rod both times they see it.

#confused

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 3:30pm
Jenny was talking about the limo with blacked out windows not the car in the scene where Nancy is in the limo on way to buy drugs and they church her stuff out.

#confused
Yes the same scene. The second time they see the car just as it speeds away after Nancy's bag is jettisoned. He does not say Rod and I've been checking my DVD and I've played it over and over he seems to say Rab or Rad.
Attachments
Sid & Nancy.png

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 5:19pm
101Walterton wrote:

#confused
Yes the same scene. The second time they see the car just as it speeds away after Nancy's bag is jettisoned. He does not say Rod and I've been checking my DVD and I've played it over and over he seems to say Rab or Rad.
That's how you say Rod in movies.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 5:19pm
101Walterton wrote:

#confused
That's how you say Rod in movies.
Thank you Roger Ebert.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia