Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 4:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 1:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 1:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 1:21pm
Why is John being John around his ex band members?

I understand why Glen would not want to upset John (the apple cart) because then that dents any future reunions and that's a pay packet for Glen.

Only John knows why he acts the way he does around them. But my opinion or thoughts on this matter is simply John thinks he is superior to them and without him there can be no Sex Pistols. Of course he is right he is the voice and the force of their performance comes from his vocals/lyrics. It's a completey unfair attitude but in reality John could've gone out on the road with three other musicians playing those songs easily. He's never done that and never relied on his Pistols legacy. Sure he's played about 5 Pistols songs with PiL over the years but never a reliance on them.

It's obvious he feels he made them and not the other way around. Truth is they needed each other and John was incredibly fortunate to be in the band. But they are like chalk and cheese with their personalities. Steve, Paul and Glen would've always ended up as a solid rock n roll band but without John there's no way they would've achieved the same level of fame or notoriety. This I believe is a weapon for John to use against them. He has said many times that Steve and Paul were cowards siding with Malcolm and going to Brazil with Biggs etc. But then without the Sex Pistols John would never had formed PiL.

Imagine if PiL had formed in 1976 there's simply no way they would had the same kind of impact the Sex Pistols did. They would've ended up nothing more than a footnote. Fans were desperate to hear new material after the Pistols split so John was already in a win/win situation regardless of the court case.
I basically agree with this. Without John, the others may have developed as a competent band, but just as likely would have gone nowhere and fallen apart. But without ever meeting them, John may have just become some bitter boho weirdo. No reason to think he was destined to be in a band or gain any kind of public profile.
Being chosen for the role as singer was really down to the one guy in the operation he ended up hating the most, Malcolm. The others had already made their feelings clear by not even bothering to show up to the first rehearsal/meeting and leaving John stranded in a dodgy part of town. The whole thing about John being the vocalist in a band whose three musicians were Rod Stewart and Steve Marriott fans is as bizarre as it gets and without Malcolm seeing something in John there's no way they form a band with him and no way he ever gets a position in a band with anyone. On top of that the John Vivienne had mentioned to Malcolm was actually John Beverley (Sid) not even Lydon at all. What a piece of luck for him.
Hey now, let's not forget the contribution of our very own beloved Bernie to this circumstance.
Apart from spotting John for looking different in the Kings Road, Chelsea what exactly did Bernie do? Malcolm had been in the US half assed attempting to manage the Dolls. It was still Malcolm who gave John the audition in Sex. How the hell he became singer is madness really. It was only because Malcolm saw something in him the others were non plus. Imagine Lydon turning up and singing like a donkey when you're really looking for the next Steve Marriott. 🤣
I think you're missing how Bernie is the unsung genius of English punk. Just ask him.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 5:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 5:16pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 1:38pm

I basically agree with this. Without John, the others may have developed as a competent band, but just as likely would have gone nowhere and fallen apart. But without ever meeting them, John may have just become some bitter boho weirdo. No reason to think he was destined to be in a band or gain any kind of public profile.
Being chosen for the role as singer was really down to the one guy in the operation he ended up hating the most, Malcolm. The others had already made their feelings clear by not even bothering to show up to the first rehearsal/meeting and leaving John stranded in a dodgy part of town. The whole thing about John being the vocalist in a band whose three musicians were Rod Stewart and Steve Marriott fans is as bizarre as it gets and without Malcolm seeing something in John there's no way they form a band with him and no way he ever gets a position in a band with anyone. On top of that the John Vivienne had mentioned to Malcolm was actually John Beverley (Sid) not even Lydon at all. What a piece of luck for him.
Hey now, let's not forget the contribution of our very own beloved Bernie to this circumstance.
Apart from spotting John for looking different in the Kings Road, Chelsea what exactly did Bernie do? Malcolm had been in the US half assed attempting to manage the Dolls. It was still Malcolm who gave John the audition in Sex. How the hell he became singer is madness really. It was only because Malcolm saw something in him the others were non plus. Imagine Lydon turning up and singing like a donkey when you're really looking for the next Steve Marriott. 🤣
I think you're missing how Bernie is the unsung genius of English punk. Just ask him.
I've never doubted Bernie's genius. But no one can invent punk.

Actually thinking about this surely ELP and all the dinosaurs are responsible for punk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 5:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Actually thinking about this surely ELP and all the dinosaurs are responsible for punk.
Go bigger. Greil Marcus big! The Battle of Hastings started punk.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 5:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Greil Marcus is a fool. Keith Emerson wasn't at the battle of Hastings though he did write an 18 minute keyboard solo for it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 6:00pm
Greil Marcus is a fool.
I could have told you that!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Greil Marcus is a fool. Keith Emerson wasn't at the battle of Hastings though he did write an 18 minute keyboard solo for it.
Marcus would riff off Ralph Waldo Emerson and how Brain Salad Surgery was a fulfillment of RWE's essays on self-reliance. Plus something about The Basement Tapes for some reason.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 6:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Marcus would riff off Ralph Waldo Emerson and how Brain Salad Surgery was a fulfillment of RWE's essays on self-reliance. Plus something about The Basement Tapes for some reason.
I think those Basement tapes are actually the unadulterated Cut the Crap mixes Bernie has hidden.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 6:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Greil Marcus is a fool.
I could have told you that!
Well thanks for turning up at the end of the war. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 6:16pm
They don't call me Flex "when the dust has settled" Flexerson for nothing :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 6:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 6:16pm
They don't call me Flex "when the dust has settled" Flexerson for nothing :shifty:
I think I like the cut of your jib. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 6:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think those Basement tapes are actually the unadulterated Cut the Crap mixes Bernie has hidden.
To which Marcus would divert to George Bernard Shaw’s visits to basements in Denmark.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

When the arrow pierced Harold's eye, that was the great English challenge to orthodoxy, to authority, to the Saxon-Viking hegemony. Nothing would ever be the same ever again. Each time a person would look on that section of the Bayeux tapestry, history would start anew, with electrons coursing through the stumbling beginnings of an all new universe.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 7:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

When the arrow pierced Harold's eye, that was the great English challenge to orthodoxy, to authority, to the Saxon-Viking hegemony. Nothing would ever be the same ever again. Each time a person would look on that section of the Bayeux tapestry, history would start anew, with electrons coursing through the stumbling beginnings of an all new universe.
Ah, there’s that prose that I hate-read.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 7:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

To which Marcus would divert to George Bernard Shaw’s visits to basements in Denmark.
I believe it was Shakespeare himself who once wrote "once a punk, always a punk".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 7:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I believe it was Shakespeare himself who once wrote "once a punk, always a punk".
One of many direct connections between The Bard and Waddy.