So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
31 Jan 2017, 11:59am
http://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-2 ... -made-him/

Interview with Colin Newman on the album's that influenced him throughout his life.
A lot more catholic than I would have guessed, tho I knew about him being blown away by A Hard Day's Night.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Digging this new song. It's interesting to see them being so prolific. NK only came out a little less than a year ago, right?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2017, 1:15pm
Wolter wrote:
31 Jan 2017, 11:59am
http://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-2 ... -made-him/

Interview with Colin Newman on the album's that influenced him throughout his life.
A lot more catholic than I would have guessed, tho I knew about him being blown away by A Hard Day's Night.
This is an interesting statement:
We studiously ignored Joy Division because they seemed a little too derivative of us. Maybe that seems like arrogance in hindsight but that’s how it felt at the time.
I don't see it myself—maybe more on Closer than Unknown Pleasures, but I don't think JD were nearly brave enough or anti-rock enough to be derivative of Wire, much as I love them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Feb 2017, 6:38pm
Digging this new song. It's interesting to see them being so prolific. NK only came out a little less than a year ago, right?
NK and the s/t album were recorded at the same time, tho. Supposedly NK is made up of songs that just didn't fit s/t. The new one was recorded explicitly with the idea of releasing it on the 40th anniversary of their first gig or thereabouts.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Feb 2017, 6:44pm
We studiously ignored Joy Division because they seemed a little too derivative of us. Maybe that seems like arrogance in hindsight but that’s how it felt at the time.
I don't see it myself—maybe more on Closer than Unknown Pleasures, but I don't think JD were nearly brave enough or anti-rock enough to be derivative of Wire, much as I love them.
I agree. I honestly don't hear Joy Division in Wire. Perhaps some of 154 if you're looking for it, but otherwise very different sensibilities.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
NK and the s/t album were recorded at the same time, tho. Supposedly NK is made up of songs that just didn't fit s/t. The new one was recorded explicitly with the idea of releasing it on the 40th anniversary of their first gig or thereabouts.
Oh that's right, I forgot about that. Wire was based all around songwriting, and NK was about using the studio more, which definitely shows.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kory wrote:
09 Feb 2017, 6:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Oh that's right, I forgot about that. Wire was based all around songwriting, and NK was about using the studio more, which definitely shows.
Doc, do you think you're going to get the ltd. edition book version ("a hard backed 80 page case bound book, with text by Graham Duff, extended credits, lyrics and lots of colour photos as well as the CD")? I wish I could see a preview of some of the pages—I'm not sure how much I need color photos or whether the text is going to be very useful. I will say that I wish I had a regular CD version of CBU because I have to keep the book version away from my CDs as it doesn't fit.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2017, 4:36pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Doc, do you think you're going to get the ltd. edition book version ("a hard backed 80 page case bound book, with text by Graham Duff, extended credits, lyrics and lots of colour photos as well as the CD")? I wish I could see a preview of some of the pages—I'm not sure how much I need color photos or whether the text is going to be very useful. I will say that I wish I had a regular CD version of CBU because I have to keep the book version away from my CDs as it doesn't fit.
Eh, I ordered it anyway. It's the completist in me, and also the fear of not being able to get it later on if I feel like it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wire are in that automatic mode for me that I always get the special crap. I don't really care about the book—the CBU book was a shrug for me; I don't care about recording process stuff—but Wire and Swans are two bands that I feel good about actively supporting in that way. They're both going the fully independent route, they've put out a shit ton of music I love, and they certainly aren't getting rich by any of this. I don't pay for a whole lot of music these days, so I'm good to shell out.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2017, 4:51pm
Kory wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wire are in that automatic mode for me that I always get the special crap. I don't really care about the book—the CBU book was a shrug for me; I don't care about recording process stuff—but Wire and Swans are two bands that I feel good about actively supporting in that way. They're both going the fully independent route, they've put out a shit ton of music I love, and they certainly aren't getting rich by any of this. I don't pay for a whole lot of music these days, so I'm good to shell out.
Yeah, that was pretty much my thought process when I decided to go for it. Except that I still do spend a lot of money on music these days.

As an aside, ordering the album has set me on a Wire listening venture today and I'm just sitting here listening to The Drill EP thinking about how much I fucking love this band.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2017, 5:06pm
As an aside, ordering the album has set me on a Wire listening venture today and I'm just sitting here listening to The Drill EP thinking about how much I fucking love this band.
Snakedrill or The Drill? Snakedrill is three genius tracks plus, sigh, "Up to the Sun." The Drill is something I wish I loved more. About half of it I dig, but a number of those versions leave me flat. It's a cool concept and all, but the results aren't necessarily winners.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2017, 5:10pm
Kory wrote:
Snakedrill or The Drill? Snakedrill is three genius tracks plus, sigh, "Up to the Sun." The Drill is something I wish I loved more. About half of it I dig, but a number of those versions leave me flat. It's a cool concept and all, but the results aren't necessarily winners.
The Drill. I agree about the inconsistency, but the thing that made me write that above is just the idea of doing it at all. I always appreciate ambition over complacency, even if it doesn't work out perfectly. There's not many bands that just do whatever the hell they want, so it's very endearing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2017, 6:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
The Drill. I agree about the inconsistency, but the thing that made me write that above is just the idea of doing it at all. I always appreciate ambition over complacency, even if it doesn't work out perfectly. There's not many bands that just do whatever the hell they want, so it's very endearing.
It can rightfully be called a concept album, albeit one revolving around a methodology. That that methodology is about stretching monotony and annoyance makes it a horrible and neat joke.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2017, 6:09pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It can rightfully be called a concept album, albeit one revolving around a methodology. That that methodology is about stretching monotony and annoyance makes it a horrible and neat joke.
It sounds to me like you don't dugga enough.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2017, 7:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2017, 6:09pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It sounds to me like you don't dugga enough.
I've been duggaing since you were cooing over Milli Vanilli, I tell you what.