So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 5:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 5:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 5:38pm
I wonder how these Wire reissues compare with the japanese versions the band previously disliked so much. That Pink Flag does contain Mary Is a Dyke and has 38 tracks, I think they sound great.
The main albums, I presume, will be the same remasters from, what, a dozen years ago? I don't know if those Japanese editions were from the same remaster, but some tracks wouldn't have been.

That release—it came with a book, but I only bought the digital versions, not that one—were supposedly part of what led Bruce to leave because Colin changed the credits on Pink Flag. Instead of the group credit, Colin inserted that he came up with the music on all the songs. Bruce argued that the whole band spent weeks and weeks working up those songs so that even if Colin had the original ideas for the melody, the songs had evolved so much via group input that they were more accurately group creations. So Bruce fucked off.
I think I agree with Bruce.
I do too. He readily concedes the individual credits on CM and 154 because people were bringing in their own compositions after that. But initially the material on PF was a true group effort. It speaks, I think, to Colin's decades-long fight with Bruce. Colin is the traditional song guy and the youngest, whereas Bruce is an older, domineering, mischievous, and kind of contemptuous of rock in general. And Colin long felt picked on. But he's been the guy that made the band viable since 2000 and this was a way of asserting that. A power struggle, really, and Colin won.
But those editions sound really good to my ears. And we're great value at the time. They are expensive now and I only have downloads. The demos are out there so why not go for the complete package after all the years. It could be a nice 3 disc set with a live show from that period. Anyway that's just how I feel about reissues being good value.
I'm sure I dl'd those Japanese editions for the fuck of it at some point. i had all the songs a dozen times over, but whatever. They probably aren't doing the live album aspect because of the legal bootleg series (not that they've done anything with that for a long while). But I shrug my shoulders at it all. Wire and Swans and their various spinoffs are my two automatic buys. I've bought every Githead album of Colin's even tho I find them painfully boring. It's basically me being a patron.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Quick turnaround time on the poster. Looks good to my eyes—could have gone even bigger, I think. Absurd humanoid added for scale.
Wire - Notre Dame.jpg
Wire - Notre Dame.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:27pm
Quick turnaround time on the poster. Looks good to my eyes—could have gone even bigger, I think. Absurd humanoid added for scale.
Wire - Notre Dame.jpg
Will look good in a frame.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:27pm
Wire - Notre Dame.jpg
Will look good in a frame.
Most of my smaller ones are wood-mounted, no frame. Might do that again. Not sure.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I was just re-reading about the SE releases and I'm getting pretty excited. I really enjoy how much care they take with their recent product, it makes me feel appreciated as a fan (not that I need that, but it's a nice bonus to be a fan of this band).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:21pm
I was just re-reading about the SE releases and I'm getting pretty excited. I really enjoy how much care they take with their recent product, it makes me feel appreciated as a fan (not that I need that, but it's a nice bonus to be a fan of this band).
I think that's almost entirely Colin's doing. He's professionalized the Wire operation and made them viable without any kind of record company support and a pretty small fan base. Swans operates the same way (plus anything you order from Young God, Swans' own label, is autographed by Gira, if you dig that kind of stuff). It's certainly more non-music work for those guys, but it gives them control over their vision and allows fans to feel a bit more like patrons rather than customers.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:34pm
Kory wrote:
I think that's almost entirely Colin's doing. He's professionalized the Wire operation and made them viable without any kind of record company support and a pretty small fan base. Swans operates the same way (plus anything you order from Young God, Swans' own label, is autographed by Gira, if you dig that kind of stuff). It's certainly more non-music work for those guys, but it gives them control over their vision and allows fans to feel a bit more like patrons rather than customers.
I definitely appreciate it, plus I give high marks to anyone that's able to break away from others' control so it's a win-win. Now I just hope they do something similar for the Mute stuff. I know there's not much in the way of demos, but a shiny remaster and 80 page book would be pretty dope.

...and while i was writing that, I just started musing: if they were able to do something like CBU, why not a collection of re-recorded versions of those songs? I know a lot of their beef is the production techniques used at the time. I wonder if they like any of the songs enough to redo them a little more organically.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I definitely appreciate it, plus I give high marks to anyone that's able to break away from others' control so it's a win-win. Now I just hope they do something similar for the Mute stuff. I know there's not much in the way of demos, but a shiny remaster and 80 page book would be pretty dope.

...and while i was writing that, I just started musing: if they were able to do something like CBU, why not a collection of re-recorded versions of those songs? I know a lot of their beef is the production techniques used at the time. I wonder if they like any of the songs enough to redo them a little more organically.
That's come up a few times over at pink flag. Several people (me included, I think) have voiced a desire for those Mute records to be re-recorded with Rob actually playing drums. There is a slight teaser there, as the Strays ep has them doing "German Shepherds" and "Boiling Boy." But some kind of "best of" from the Mute years re-recorded would be appealing, even if only to settle the curiosity of whether the material was subpar or the recording methodology was a mixed-results-at-best experiment. I'm pretty confident it's the latter, as the live shows from that era demonstrate a lot more zip to the material.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:52pm
Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

That's come up a few times over at pink flag. Several people (me included, I think) have voiced a desire for those Mute records to be re-recorded with Rob actually playing drums. There is a slight teaser there, as the Strays ep has them doing "German Shepherds" and "Boiling Boy." But some kind of "best of" from the Mute years re-recorded would be appealing, even if only to settle the curiosity of whether the material was subpar or the recording methodology was a mixed-results-at-best experiment. I'm pretty confident it's the latter, as the live shows from that era demonstrate a lot more zip to the material.
Oh yeah, I'm totally on the side of the material—there's some really untouchably great songs in there. I was under the impression that Rob did actually play (syn)drums on some of that stuff. Was it really all programmed? Also, is there much concert footage available from around that time?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:02pm
Oh yeah, I'm totally on the side of the material—there's some really untouchably great songs in there. I was under the impression that Rob did actually play (syn)drums on some of that stuff. Was it really all programmed?
Pretty sure that, yeah, it's all programmed. MIDI'd the fuck out of all instruments on those records.
Also, is there much concert footage available from around that time?
I have a dvd of their first show back in 1985, plus a Chicago show from '87, and a brief Wir gig in '91. Not a lot of firebreathing or anything to appeal to the Hestons.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:24pm
Kory wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm totally on the side of the material—there's some really untouchably great songs in there. I was under the impression that Rob did actually play (syn)drums on some of that stuff. Was it really all programmed?
Pretty sure that, yeah, it's all programmed. MIDI'd the fuck out of all instruments on those records.
I have a dvd of their first show back in 1985, plus a Chicago show from '87, and a brief Wir gig in '91. Not a lot of firebreathing or anything to appeal to the Hestons.
Are these available anywhere? I'd love to see them—I've become addicted to a ritual of watching music DVDs on Friday nights as a relaxation after the work week, and those sound like they'd be jewels of the evening.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Are these available anywhere? I'd love to see them—I've become addicted to a ritual of watching music DVDs on Friday nights as a relaxation after the work week, and those sound like they'd be jewels of the evening.
The youth toob has the two Wire shows:

If you really want to see it, I can upload that Wir show (the sound is kinda crappy).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
The youth toob has the two Wire shows:

If you really want to see it, I can upload that Wir show (the sound is kinda crappy).
That would be cool if you have the time. I'm very curious about that era of the group, but don't go to too much trouble for it. Thanks for the YT links, I'm gonna see if I can download them...gettin' excited for Friday.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Upload of Wir commencing …

edit: https://mega.nz/#!hUtklZSB!3c5IoPpfB6xr ... uRup1bZeB0

Wir, Kilburn National, London, 24 Oct 91
1. Naked Whooping and Such-Like
2. A Bargain At 3 and 20 Yeah!
3. Take It (For Greedy)
4. The First Letter
5. So And Slow It Grows
6. A Big Glue Canal

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Took the poster in to be mounted and framed—the place is literally half a block away from our house—and the owner, who speaks with an obvious Middle Eastern accent, said, “You always bring me such interesting posters from bands I’ve never heard of."