Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Got Any Cool Vinyl?

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 12:00am
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 10:42pm
Maybe the kid is rifling through that record collection because he doesn't have a disposable income and simply can't afford to pay the likes of anything between £20 - £50 for a vinyl album be it a reissue or a new album.

A lot of those 80s/90s acts are constantly being used by tv shows and adverts so the kid is exposed to them anyway.
Hello,

Your point about the exposure of ~80's bands through commercials is well-taken. Current kids don't hold being in a commercials against a band. When I was young, being in a commercial was a black mark against a group. I'm not sure which is the correct viewpoint.
I'm not putting down the current generation of kids they have their own thing. But it was a lot more tribal back in the day and bands that meant stuff to the individual gained a commitment from fans and in return those fans expected a certain commitment back.

Nowadays I hear the Ramones selling fridge freezers for A.O. with Blitzkrieg Bop and so on. Wouldn't of happened by in those punk years. Of course many of those in control of the media now were punk fans of yesteryear.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 8:17am
gkbill wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Maybe the kid is rifling through that record collection because he doesn't have a disposable income and simply can't afford to pay the likes of anything between £20 - £50 for a vinyl album be it a reissue or a new album.

A lot of those 80s/90s acts are constantly being used by tv shows and adverts so the kid is exposed to them anyway.
Hello,

Your point about the exposure of ~80's bands through commercials is well-taken. Current kids don't hold being in a commercials against a band. When I was young, being in a commercial was a black mark against a group. I'm not sure which is the correct viewpoint.
I'm not putting down the current generation of kids they have their own thing. But it was a lot more tribal back in the day and bands that meant stuff to the individual gained a commitment from fans and in return those fans expected a certain commitment back.

Nowadays I hear the Ramones selling fridge freezers for A.O. with Blitzkrieg Bop and so on. Wouldn't of happened by in those punk years. Of course many of those in control of the media now were punk fans of yesteryear.
That's a significant part of it right there. But the bigger thing, unfortunately, is that the fight (that word is too strong, really) to separate anti-commercial music from commercial music was lost. That's late capitalism—everything can and will be commodified, it's all fuel for the engine.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 8:31am
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 8:17am
gkbill wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hello,

That's a significant part of it right there. But the bigger thing, unfortunately, is that the fight (that word is too strong, really) to separate anti-commercial music from commercial music was lost. That's late capitalism—everything can and will be commodified, it's all fuel for the engine.
I don't have any problem with this stuff. I'm happy for musicians selling old hits or popular songs for adverts if it means they get to look after their families etc. Not all are as wealthy as Paul McCartney. A good song is still a good song and I'm happy to hear it. I don't think it diminishes anything years after the events of it's time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I don’t want to come off as absolutist here—like, yes, artists have a right to earn their daily bread from their art—but I deeply dislike the idea that art is fundamentally product, without a meaningful difference from sneakers or a ladder. And music that was created in defiance of that terrible notion should not end up subsumed by it. I do have a sense of the sacred in art, and commodification is the devil there. It saddens me when young people don’t care about that, where they treat everything as “content” that is supposed to amuse, nothing more.

That said, I can’t lie that I enjoyed hearing “Mind Your Own Business” in an Apple ad a year or so back. That was pure aesthetic enjoyment even as I was bothered that another song that was more notable than something by Kajagoogoo got absorbed by a multinational corporation to get people to buy doodads.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 9:57am
I don’t want to come off as absolutist here—like, yes, artists have a right to earn their daily bread from their art—but I deeply dislike the idea that art is fundamentally product, without a meaningful difference from sneakers or a ladder. And music that was created in defiance of that terrible notion should not end up subsumed by it. I do have a sense of the sacred in art, and commodification is the devil there. It saddens me when young people don’t care about that, where they treat everything as “content” that is supposed to amuse, nothing more.

That said, I can’t lie that I enjoyed hearing “Mind Your Own Business” in an Apple ad a year or so back. That was pure aesthetic enjoyment even as I was bothered that another song that was more notable than something by Kajagoogoo got absorbed by a multinational corporation to get people to buy doodads.
I simply can't be snobbish by any of this stuff. Music was made to be heard it's that simple for me. You say you dislike people sitting on a rarity and have said in the past you feel they lose the right to it after 20 years or so. Yet you get annoyed by a released track being used for lesser than its original purpose 20 years later for an advert.

As for art/music being product, once you put a price on it it's product. Whether you can afford that product is another thing. We have had the likes of Mick Jones giving away the CSi stuff for free but he is already an established artist.

The Arctic Monkeys broke the mould by giving all their early stuff away for free via downloads before any fame but it was always a stepping stone to further their career.

I remember Lydon (Rotten) saying he didn't care if anyone bought the Pistols records but in the next breath saying he felt no shame in making money and felt he deserved to get paid for his hard work. If you have a strong message to put across there is no point in only selling 10 copies of your record.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 10:37am
I simply can't be snobbish by any of this stuff. Music was made to be heard it's that simple for me. You say you dislike people sitting on a rarity and have said in the past you feel they lose the right to it after 20 years or so. Yet you get annoyed by a released track being used for lesser than its original purpose 20 years later for an advert.
You're ignoring the key part of my objection—commodification. I want the art available for people to enjoy as art; I don't like art used to further an ugly socio-economic system.
As for art/music being product, once you put a price on it it's product. Whether you can afford that product is another thing. We have had the likes of Mick Jones giving away the CSi stuff for free but he is already an established artist.

The Arctic Monkeys broke the mould by giving all their early stuff away for free via downloads before any fame but it was always a stepping stone to further their career.

I remember Lydon (Rotten) saying he didn't care if anyone bought the Pistols records but in the next breath saying he felt no shame in making money and felt he deserved to get paid for his hard work. If you have a strong message to put across there is no point in only selling 10 copies of your record.
I did say that I'm not absolutist about this, no? I concede that we have to accept that art is also commerce. That doesn't mean we shouldn't care about art that was created in opposition gets co-opted. Music must still get heard and the creators deserve some material compensation from their work; it doesn't have to sell iPhones, tho.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

You're ignoring the key part of my objection—commodification. I want the art available for people to enjoy as art; I don't like art used to further an ugly socio-economic system.

This goes hand in hand for me. I'm not ignoring your objection. I'm simply saying it's an inevitability once you make something and put it out there. Many times artists have taken old art and re-used it to create new art. Sometimes watering down an original message and sometimes making the art stronger like say Jamie Reid. Jamie's book "Sex Pistols Castrated" makes a good example of just how the Pistols were used as product. Sure you might not want to see "Anarchy in the U.K." used to sell cars or whatever but me I would rather hear that than a track I don't care for. Art is a huge part of selling the product. A soap box can be as great as the Mona Lisa.

I did say that I'm not absolutist about this, no? I concede that we have to accept that art is also commerce. That doesn't mean we shouldn't care about art that was created in opposition gets co-opted. Music must still get heard and the creators deserve some material compensation from their work; it doesn't have to sell iPhones, tho.
[/quote]

Loads of great music has never been used for advertising and loads have. In some aspects it's actually a mark of respect to just how great that piece of music is and how powerful it is. We tend not to get offended when a great piece of Mozart or Beethoven is used in adverts but we do when it's a band we love. If a sample of "I Am the Fly" gets used in an advert for selling face cream then I'm thinking yes brilliant stuff. Who ever chose that track knows his onions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I haven't received this yet, but Santa Claus ordered it for me over the weekend. Originally released on black vinyl in 2013 and sold out almost immediately. A split color limited re-release just came out, proceeds will continue to go to Slim's family for his ongoing medical care.

https://newwestrecords.com/collections/ ... olor-vinyl

Slim Dunlap, former lead guitarist of the Replacements, suffered a serious stroke in February 2012. What started off as a few people trying to find a way to help a dear friend survive a medical crisis has turned into a true musical celebration. By having various artists cover Slim's excellent-but-overlooked original songs and auctioning them via limited edition 45s, the Songs For Slim series raised nearly $150,000 to help support Slim's family and offset the high cost of medical care.
Attachments
Songs For Slim.jpg
Songs For Slim.jpg (35.91 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sparky wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 11:49am
I haven't received this yet, but Santa Claus ordered it for me over the weekend. Originally released on black vinyl in 2013 and sold out almost immediately. A split color limited re-release just came out, proceeds will continue to go to Slim's family for his ongoing medical care.

https://newwestrecords.com/collections/ ... olor-vinyl

Slim Dunlap, former lead guitarist of the Replacements, suffered a serious stroke in February 2012. What started off as a few people trying to find a way to help a dear friend survive a medical crisis has turned into a true musical celebration. By having various artists cover Slim's excellent-but-overlooked original songs and auctioning them via limited edition 45s, the Songs For Slim series raised nearly $150,000 to help support Slim's family and offset the high cost of medical care.
I have an original vinyl release of this, it's really good. You're in for a treat (and be sure to tip Santa!)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

there is an amazon commercial that has been airing here recently, 3 old ladies sitting on a bench by a snow-covered hill. One of them buys 3 cushions and then the three old ladies put them in sleds and they ride down this snow-covered hill. During their ride they flash back to when they were little girls sledding down a hill. A nice commercial and all, but its the backing music that struck me, its a soft sounding piano playing the melody from John Lennon's "In My Life" from Rubber Soul. In my younger days I would have thought that was sacrilege and yet today it makes me smile, knowing that John's melody written nearly 60 years ago is still so wonderful, its timeless, and its a testament to the greatness of that band and the music they created a lifetime ago.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

weller259 wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 10:09pm
there is an amazon commercial that has been airing here recently, 3 old ladies sitting on a bench by a snow-covered hill. One of them buys 3 cushions and then the three old ladies put them in sleds and they ride down this snow-covered hill. During their ride they flash back to when they were little girls sledding down a hill. A nice commercial and all, but its the backing music that struck me, its a soft sounding piano playing the melody from John Lennon's "In My Life" from Rubber Soul. In my younger days I would have thought that was sacrilege and yet today it makes me smile, knowing that John's melody written nearly 60 years ago is still so wonderful, its timeless, and its a testament to the greatness of that band and the music they created a lifetime ago.
Are you watching the Sabres-Rangers game right now? I am, and I've seen that commercial like 3 times during the broadcast. :mrgreen:
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 10:21pm
weller259 wrote:
Are you watching the Sabres-Rangers game right now? I am, and I've seen that commercial like 3 times during the broadcast. :mrgreen:
I was watching that game and being disgusted by the Rangers' play, lol. Sabres had a strong game.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

weller259 wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 10:42pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 10:21pm
weller259 wrote:
I was watching that game and being disgusted by the Rangers' play, lol. Sabres had a strong game.
Yeah, after a dreadful sports week, Buffalo really needed this one. Sorry about that. :lol:
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Got these two from juno for 18.99 each, decent pressings and includes lyric sheets...didn't notice the 77-79 one but that has been rectified! How this has not been shut down by Sony I don't know...but nice to have the singles to play without changing the singles every 5 mins...
IMG-20240225-WA0001.jpeg
17088797119927459882419337741740.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 12:49pm
Got these two from juno for 18.99 each, decent pressings and includes lyric sheets...didn't notice the 77-79 one but that has been rectified! How this has not been shut down by Sony I don't know...but nice to have the singles to play without changing the singles every 5 mins...IMG-20240225-WA0001.jpeg17088797119927459882419337741740.jpg
I saw them. Yep very surprised they are out there. Not a lot of effort has gone into them. Sticking on live tracks where others are missing like the live "Career Opportunities" in the place where "Sex Mad War" should be.

It's not very definitive being they spread them over three albums. "Police on My Back" included as a foreign regions single but they clearly didn't care enough about "Train in Vain" "Rudie Can't Fail" etc and then there is the "Are You Red...Y" / "Three Card Trick" single issued in Australia. Could've filled 6 albums with all the variants and 12" mixes.

A very naughty cash-in release.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia