Bosstones break up

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Bosstones break up

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 9:18am
A friend alerted me that the Punk Rock Museum (a concept I find somewhat repulsive on its face) is offering "guided tours" for $100/person with Dicky Barrett in October. Their Instagram post announcing it ended up with 70+ comments, almost all asking wtf they're thinking working with Dicky. Dicky decided to pop in himself, so I addressed some concerns to him, and the comments were all deleted and the post was locked. Lol. Super punk rock. And especially rich since Barrett goes around claiming he just wants a debate. My contempt and disdain for him somehow grows every time he pops up somewhere.

Anyways, here's what I said to dicky (he may have responded - I'd gone to bed - but that will be lost to time since the museum deleted everything sometime overnight. I had a bunch of alerts on the my phone in the morning, so it must have gotten a LITTLE interesting)
That creep is about as far away from the punk ideal as anyone can get.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 9:45am
Flex wrote:
A friend alerted me that the Punk Rock Museum (a concept I find somewhat repulsive on its face) is offering "guided tours" for $100/person with Dicky Barrett in October. Their Instagram post announcing it ended up with 70+ comments, almost all asking wtf they're thinking working with Dicky. Dicky decided to pop in himself, so I addressed some concerns to him, and the comments were all deleted and the post was locked. Lol. Super punk rock. And especially rich since Barrett goes around claiming he just wants a debate. My contempt and disdain for him somehow grows every time he pops up somewhere.

Anyways, here's what I said to dicky (he may have responded - I'd gone to bed - but that will be lost to time since the museum deleted everything sometime overnight. I had a bunch of alerts on the my phone in the morning, so it must have gotten a LITTLE interesting)
But Flex's statement is solid punk ideals in thought and action, so it's a wash.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 10:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 9:45am
Flex wrote:

But Flex's statement is solid punk ideals in thought and action, so it's a wash.
Hey Flex is OK but just ok, okay!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Okay is all I ever wanted :cool:

I will say, as a silver lining of personal self discovery, this was my "can you kill your own idol" punk moment and I learned that, yes, yes I can.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 12:13pm

I will say, as a silver lining of personal self discovery, this was my "can you kill your own idol" punk moment and I learned that, yes, yes I can.
Boy done good. Now go join the Morrissey and Lydon sites. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 12:23pm
Tell them to get on Instagram and I'll give them what's for!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 12:13pm

A shame Dickie didn't threaten to slit your throat. We could start a survivor's group. :shifty:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 3:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 12:23pm
Tell them to get on Instagram and I'll give them what's for!
Of course I would but we are totally incommunicado these days.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

modskint
Dirty Punk

Post by modskint »

I got banned by the Bosstones after they plugged the upcoming Interrupters tour on IG:
IMG_2161.jpeg
IMG_2161.jpeg (66.8 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
IMG_2162.jpeg
IMG_2162.jpeg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

modskint
Dirty Punk

Post by modskint »

IMG_2159.jpeg
IMG_2159.jpeg (92.02 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

Flex

Post by Flex »

modskint wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 5:27pm
I got banned by the Bosstones after they plugged the upcoming Interrupters tour on IG:

IMG_2161.jpeg

IMG_2162.jpeg
Fucking awesome. And, yes, dicky runs the bosstones social accounts (I know because he's sometimes accidentally responded to me with them instead of his personal accounts)

Dicky has said Ben Swann, one of the main "reporters" who promoted the sandy hook conspiracy theory and pizzagate is a "great reporter" so he's for sure lockstep with Aimee's crypto-right wing nonsense.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 5:37pm
modskint wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 5:27pm

IMG_2161.jpeg

IMG_2162.jpeg
Fucking awesome. And, yes, dicky runs the bosstones social accounts (I know because he's sometimes accidentally responded to me with them instead of his personal accounts)

Dicky has said Ben Swann, one of the main "reporters" who promoted the sandy hook conspiracy theory and pizzagate is a "great reporter" so he's for sure lockstep with Aimee's crypto-right wing nonsense.
I wasn't aware...

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 10:52pm
I wasn't aware...
Yeah, her real name is Aimee Allen and prior to the Interrupters she has a somewhat sordid past, politically speaking. She was heavily supportive of the Ron Paul 2008 campaign and recorded and released the campaign "theme song" (called, creatively, "Ron Paul Revolution Theme Song") and that's around when she appeared on the Alex Jones show a couple times. Those shows are all offline now and I don't care to try to find whatever disgusting corners of the internet one may have to venture to find any archives, but purportedly while on the show she lamented being assaulted by "illegal immigrant thugs" once and was supportive of various conspiracy theories Jones was trafficking in at the time. She doesn't write the music or lyrics for the interrupters, but several of their songs espouse right wing libertarian ideals, especially on the first record.

She's asserted that her first solo album never came out because the government censored her for using the word "revolution" when, in actuality, she was signed to Elektra Records which went belly-up before they could release her album. The single she claims was stopped by the gub'ment was actually released as an advance single by Elektra. Her second solo album was a pop album featuring a Sublime cover (lol) and some christian pop songs in the mix. Her "punk credentials" or whatever are, like, extremely iffy.

The real annoying thing is that, especially early on, The Interrupters demurred from really dealing with her background directly and made (and continue to make) mealy-mouthed statements about how they're neither left nor right, but a "unity band." Well, fuckos, you can't stand still on a moving train and you can't unite with the right and not be right wing yourself. Anyone familiar with the skinhead scene the band ostensibly draws from knows right away what those sorts of statements they're making really mean.

And all of the above bums me out. Unlike modskin, even though I understood the band to be a prefab invention of Tim Armstrong and Kevin Bivona (the primary songwriter for Interrrupters, bandmate with Armstrong via The Transplants, and Aimee's husband - I'm sure there'd be some weird psycho-sexual shit going on between Tim, Aimee and Kevin on account of Aimee essentially being a Brodie Dalle soundalike except that Aimee is obviously about 3 decades too old for Tim to be interested in her), I was very, very obviously the target demo for the band and I was perfectly fine being taken for a ride. it was just cool hearing 2-tone inspired ska getting radio play and stuff. If I'm honest, Aimee being quite attractive was also a motivator to like the band more and ignore some warning signs.

But the landscape has changed. I think I was wrong to be so, er, accommodating of dodgier politics in the scene for so long and guys like Dicky Barrett demonstrate the dangers of tolerating the festering virus of conservative reaction - even when it seems small and buried deep, deep within what on the surface appear to be otherwise with-it or harmless people. The privileged position of simply being generically anti-government and suspicious of "official narratives" without a more humane grounding in political and life philosophy shows itself to be, again and again, a dead end road to reactionary politics.

I'm not gonna go burn my Interrupters records or something, but there's so much great, diverse ska out there coming from bands that don't feel the need to play footsy with the right and songs coming from the mouths of people who haven't guested multiple times on Alex Jones' show that I don't really feel compelled to follow them, seek out their music, or give them any more of my money.
Last edited by Flex on 16 Aug 2023, 4:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Word.

I learned how to kill my idols when Mitch Williams’ brother came after me on here.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Well, I've learnt stuff so I'll be selling my actual Interrupters t-shirt on Vinted for real. The Mrs actually told me she had a weird vibe off Aimee, so she wins there.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/