Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex & Wolt's Thread of Truckliness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Somewhere, in god's party room, the Founding Fathers are all going, "Fuck yeah, that's what it was all about!"
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 4:56pm
Flex wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 1:27pm
My "American" mind can't process it either. :question:
Mine can and it's awash in awesome.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 6:04pm
Sparky wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 4:56pm
Flex wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 1:27pm
My "American" mind can't process it either. :question:
Mine can and it's awash in awesome.
And yet I own a pickup truck, go figure.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sparky wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 6:23pm
Get yourself a set of these and all will make sense:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 6:29pm
Sparky wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 6:23pm
Get yourself a set of these and all will make sense:
Possibly....I'm a no bumper stickers, no flags a flyin', no gun rack in the back window, no train air horns kind of truck owner myself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Folks, time to take up a collection so that Sparky can nut up his truck. He must be punished for remaining part of this community!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 7:05pm
Folks, time to take up a collection so that Sparky can nut up his truck. He must be punished for remaining part of this community!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Flex

Post by Flex »

A Ska Thread/Truckliness crossover spectacular. From one of Colorado's finest ska bands, Skank Williams
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm going to claim that Maggies Farm is a country song. It's about a farm after all.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 2:15am
I'm going to claim that Maggies Farm is a country song. It's about a farm after all.
As someone representing a nation between the UK and US, I feel qualified to arbitrate. And I rule in favour of the Limeys on this one.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 6:25am
Silent Majority wrote:
As someone representing a nation between the UK and US, I feel qualified to arbitrate. And I rule in favour of the Limeys on this one.
Greil Marcus, in discussing the recording of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, relays that someone at the studio (can't remember who and I can't be bothered to find it, but it was a decent industry name) heard Dylan recording and said he should be recording down in Nashville. Then Dylan did a run through of Oxford Town and everyone decided there's no way Dylan could record in Nashville.

So, there's something there.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 8:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Greil Marcus, in discussing the recording of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, relays that someone at the studio (can't remember who and I can't be bothered to find it, but it was a decent industry name) heard Dylan recording and said he should be recording down in Nashville. Then Dylan did a run through of Oxford Town and everyone decided there's no way Dylan could record in Nashville.

And it's only a few years later that he does record Nashville Skyline. How much of a stretch you want to accept those three or four years, given his stylistic output in between, that's something else.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:13am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

And it's only a few years later that he does record Nashville Skyline. How much of a stretch you want to accept those three or four years, given his stylistic output in between, that's something else.
I think two events got him in the Nashville door: 1) not recording songs explicitly about the south's racial segregation and violence anymore, 2) the development of country rock (which he was, in fact, a part of creating) opener the door for an electrified Dylan to go cut songs with a great who's who of Nashville session guys. I mean, maybe Dylan could do what he wanted anyways but I think the landscape by '69 for making country-rock records was pretty different than trying to do a "woke" folk record in Nashville circa '62.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:13am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I think two events got him in the Nashville door: 1) not recording songs explicitly about the south's racial segregation and violence anymore, 2) the development of country rock (which he was, in fact, a part of creating) opener the door for an electrified Dylan to go cut songs with a great who's who of Nashville session guys. I mean, maybe Dylan could do what he wanted anyways but I think the landscape by '69 for making country-rock records was pretty different than trying to do a "woke" folk record in Nashville circa '62.
It's always reflexive to treat Dylan as distinct from everything else going on, or as leading the way by a year or two, but, yeah, the environment, musical and cultural, was more encouraging by 1969 for a country-rock hybrid. But at the same time, it was a way of fucking with his fans who just wanted more of what they'd already heard and loved. Even if I can't say I'm a fan of his aesthetic (I don't hate it, either, mind you), I love his resistance to fan expectation.