Interesting Take on the Beatles

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Interesting Take on the Beatles

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:They're still rooted in the blues though, the Beatles queered the pitch by adding music hall and classical influences to their songs. Without being too muso, songs like "She Loves You" were incorporating unexpected chord changes and harmonies to a well worn template.
What you're describing, tho, is innovation. Tremendous innovation in terms of its effect, especially on other musicians, but it's not original. The template was still intact, with others able to emphasize or deemphasize what the Beatles brought to the form. This isn't a bad thing or a criticism—there isn't much room (if any) for originality. If you really want to trace things back enough, the R & B musicians of the 50s weren't original, but modifying prior forms. None of this in any way diminishes what the Beatles created and left behind.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:What you're describing, tho, is innovation. Tremendous innovation in terms of its effect, especially on other musicians, but it's not original. The template was still intact, with others able to emphasize or deemphasize what the Beatles brought to the form. This isn't a bad thing or a criticism—there isn't much room (if any) for originality. If you really want to trace things back enough, the R & B musicians of the 50s weren't original, but modifying prior forms. None of this in any way diminishes what the Beatles created and left behind.
Oh great, you along with threecoffins hate the Beatles too.

edit: clarification for who is doing all the hating
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:What you're describing, tho, is innovation. Tremendous innovation in terms of its effect, especially on other musicians, but it's not original. The template was still intact, with others able to emphasize or deemphasize what the Beatles brought to the form. This isn't a bad thing or a criticism—there isn't much room (if any) for originality. If you really want to trace things back enough, the R & B musicians of the 50s weren't original, but modifying prior forms. None of this in any way diminishes what the Beatles created and left behind.
Oh great, you along with threecoffins hate the Beatles too.

edit: clarification for who is doing all the hating
Wait, aren't we arguing that white people are better musicians than black people?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

threecoffins wrote:
Flex wrote:
threecoffins wrote:Again, you're right. I never was looking to deny the Beatles their due. All I'm saying is that previous acts had laid the groundwork for British R&B bands breaking away from the American paradigm. I'm also saying that without the Beatles, an inherently adventurous band like the Who would have still ventured away from the blues, although perhaps an traditionalist band like the Stones wouldn't, for lack of being forced in that direction.
Don't forget Bob Dylan back in the States, he likely would have made Highway 61 Revisited (or something) whether the Beatles existed or not. He's generally considered (and I would consider him) the other half of the puzzle. I don't know what that adds to the discussion, other than the basic point that the Beatles aren't the Alpha and the Omega, which isn't meant to disrespect their achievements in any way.
That's all I'm saying as well.
Agreed too.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:They're still rooted in the blues though, the Beatles queered the pitch by adding music hall and classical influences to their songs. Without being too muso, songs like "She Loves You" were incorporating unexpected chord changes and harmonies to a well worn template.
What you're describing, tho, is innovation. Tremendous innovation in terms of its effect, especially on other musicians, but it's not original. The template was still intact, with others able to emphasize or deemphasize what the Beatles brought to the form. This isn't a bad thing or a criticism—there isn't much room (if any) for originality. If you really want to trace things back enough, the R & B musicians of the 50s weren't original, but modifying prior forms. None of this in any way diminishes what the Beatles created and left behind.
You're right again.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Wait, aren't we arguing that white people are better musicians than black people?
Hey, you're right. Welcome to America, my friend!

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

I still detect a bit of an anti-Limey stance here.
Heaven forfend we could have showed you how it's done. :mrgreen:

Flex

Post by Flex »

On a related note:

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Wait, aren't we arguing that white people are better musicians than black people?
Hey, you're right. Welcome to America, my friend!
As David Cross said of the Atlanta suburb where he grew up, it stays white out here later than anywhere else.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:I still detect a bit of an anti-Limey stance here.
My record collection is massively unbalanced towards English and Scottish bands. Be it pop or punk, I've always found the British approach more to my liking.

Nevertheless: soccer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:On a related note:
That should be adapted to a boot compilation, title and cover intact.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
My record collection is massively unbalanced towards English and Scottish bands. Be it pop or punk, I've always found the British approach more to my liking
Good on you Squire. All's well that ends well.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
My record collection is massively unbalanced towards English and Scottish bands. Be it pop or punk, I've always found the British approach more to my liking.
I probably like more american music that Hooky, but consider that the other two bands being discussed as capable innovation even if the Beatles didn't exist were the Stones and the Who. Both of whom were, last time I checked, British.

I guess eventually I brought up Bob Dylan, but he was approaching rock n roll from a pretty different angle than the Beatles et al. Two different parts of the equation (fused by later groups like the Byrds).

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I probably like more american music that Hooky, but consider that the other two bands being discussed as capable innovation even if the Beatles didn't exist were the Stones and the Who. Both of whom were, last time I checked, British.

I guess eventually I brought up Bob Dylan, but he was approaching rock n roll from a pretty different angle than the Beatles et al. Two different parts of the equation (fused by later groups like the Byrds).
I need closure before I go to bed.
OK, I'm wrong.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I for one, like all international expressions of American pop music forms. ;)