great guitar songs

General music discussion.
Suzanne H.
The Cheese

Re: great guitar songs

Post by Suzanne H. »

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that whoever made that list is not a guitarist.

That would only make sense.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I nominate Ease by Johnny Lydon and the Album band. I realized tonight that I spent my entire musical career trying to replicate that solo, albeit without the 64-note runs.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

IkarisOne wrote:I nominate Ease by Johnny Lydon and the Album band. I realized tonight that I spent my entire musical career trying to replicate that solo, albeit without the 64-note runs.
You know that was my favorite Lydon project after PiL broke up in 1981.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:I nominate Ease by Johnny Lydon and the Album band. I realized tonight that I spent my entire musical career trying to replicate that solo, albeit without the 64-note runs.
You know that was my favorite Lydon project after PiL broke up in 1981.
Clinton Heylin, in his factually challenged book on PiL, refers to the post-Levene years as The Johnny Rotten Cabaret Show.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'm not usually a fan of this kind of guitar playing but it really works on that Album. Drums by Ginger Baker are also fantastic.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Springsteen's "Adam Raised A Cain" is a good choice I wouldn't have expected to see mentioned. Blows away "Born To Run" guitar-wise which is like 50 spots higher.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Springsteen's "Adam Raised A Cain" is a good choice I wouldn't have expected to see mentioned. Blows away "Born To Run" guitar-wise which is like 50 spots higher.
It's no Prove It cerca the Darkness tour. Or Because the Night cerca the Darkness tour. Actually, the Darkness tour was pure Bruce guitar god mode. God, I can't wait for the 30th Anniversary to come out.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I'm listening to that solo right now.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
A round of applause, everyone, for Wolter, who is listening on his own for the first time!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
A round of applause, everyone, for Wolter, who is listening on his own for the first time!
A round of applause, everyone, for Dr. M, who is taking the training wheels off of his sense of humor for the first time. It's wobbly, but he's still riding!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
A round of applause, everyone, for Dr. M, who is taking the training wheels off of his sense of humor for the first time. It's wobbly, but he's still riding!
Applause is applause; I'll take it. :shifty:

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs