We Built This City On Rock and Roll appreciation thread

General music discussion.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: We Built This City On Rock and Roll appreciation thread

Post by JennyB »

Also, come on guys, let's fight the real enemy. The Bon Jovi cover of London Calling.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

:meh:
JennyB wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 3:37pm
Also, come on guys, let's fight the real enemy. The Bon Jovi cover of London Calling.
Where do I sign?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JennyB wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 3:32pm
Silent Majority wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 5:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 9:04pm
revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 9:00pm
I want to say there was a correlation between the time the Springsteen started receiving large scale broad acceptance and when Bryan Adams started getting big(in the US). And i can see marketing types wanting to frame things that way.
The subtext of the two for marketing was that after all that faggy black disco shit, goddammit, this was real white male rock—guys who change their own oil, drink beer, wear Levis, and fuck girls.
This is one of the many reasons why the gay as anything Frankie Goes to Hollywood cover of Born to Run is so good.

Even now, would Bruce's audience accept him covering something like Jet Boy Jet Girl or Glad to be Gay?
Right. Same reason why Scissor Sisters' version of Comfortably Numb is so great.
Totally.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Sincere apologies if I ruffled any feathers here; I like Bruuuuce, I like Frankie's (ahem, conservative) version of BTR; and I love you all :kiss:

Just consider yourselves lucky that I don't live in Reading, South Shields, Ottowa, Moranjortsville, where ever - cuz I'd be constantly ringing round to hang out and forcing you to listen to Mink DeVille, the Only Ones, Screaming Blue Messiahs, the Waitresses and other stuff you've never heard but bloody well need to!

Peace, love & hairspray to all.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 10:26pm
Sincere apologies if I ruffled any feathers here; I like Bruuuuce, I like Frankie's (ahem, conservative) version of BTR; and I love you all :kiss:

Just consider yourselves lucky that I don't live in Reading, South Shields, Ottowa, Moranjortsville, where ever - cuz I'd be constantly ringing round to hang out and forcing you to listen to Mink DeVille, the Only Ones, Screaming Blue Messiahs, the Waitresses and other stuff you've never heard but bloody well need to!

Fuck off brucestain!

Peace, love and bananas.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 12:47pm
I hereby offer an unqualified apology to every Springsteen fan who was offended by my statement. I shall never speak ill of him or them again.
Even the thin skinned ones?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 3:32pm
Speaking of Bryan Adams, this is the most disgusting song ever recorded:

Canada, where their rock n roll, football and maple syrup are all of generally inferior quality.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 10:43pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 10:26pm

Fuck off brucestain!

Peace, love and bananas.
OK, let's get this straightened out. So the "bananas" bit is a limey thing, yeah? Cuz when I first heard the 'peace, love and hairspray' thing it was about '82 or so, and Prince was really getting to be a thang. So I'm on the bus and these three or four dudes have been talking at the back; they're black guys and are very witty and even eloquent, not harsh or vulgar even tho they're loud. And they're dressed to the nines - just like Prince's Revolution was then - waist-coats, hussar jackets, all colorful and groovy, jerricurls and "good hair". Good looking dudes. Then one or two got off the bus' back door and one said "yo, peace, love & hairspray". That was so cool for me, I still use it. So where does "peace love & bananas" come from? Is that a UK version? (btw, on Prince's b-side of "I Would Die 4 U" - "Another Lonely Christmas" - he talks about "drinking banana daquiris 'til I'm blind". Hmmm...).

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 10:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 12:47pm
I hereby offer an unqualified apology to every Springsteen fan who was offended by my statement. I shall never speak ill of him or them again.
Even the thin skinned ones?
Hey! I'm a Bedsprings fan, and I'm also very thin skinned. And it's very pink-ish skin too. So quit harshing my mellow, dude!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

people getting testy about brooooce is more proof of how shitty and corrosive We Built This City is imho
Last edited by Flex on 15 Nov 2017, 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 12:58am
people getting tesy about brooooce is more proof of how shitty and corrosive We Built This City is imho
Fresh meat for the mighty challenge thread!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Damn, I missed like three pages of Bruce talk. A couple things:
1. Though Mellencamp is the poor man's Springsteen, Bryan Adams is the poorest man's Springsteen.
2. Image
Though prior to Streets of Philadelphia, Bruce had little interest in gay rights/politics and really lived up the macho stereotype. The Tougher Than the Rest video being a minor exception (video is a live concert take with couples posing for the camera, a few of the couples are same sex, though the same sex ones never kiss).
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:04am
Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 8:56am
Bruce's version is sluggish and over-emoted.
The best part of this comment is that it applies to any of his songs.
:lol:

Also, Bruce's fans tend to only stuff that is only one or two steps removed from actual Springsteen. I would put good money on the "Best Music of 2017" thread on the Bruce board mostly being Steve Van Zandt's solo album. As much as I love Bruce, I can rarely stand stuff that is directly inspired by him.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 11:20am
Damn, I missed like three pages of Bruce talk. A couple things:
1. Though Mellencamp is the poor man's Springsteen, Bryan Adams is the poorest man's Springsteen.
2. Image
Though prior to Streets of Philadelphia, Bruce had little interest in gay rights/politics and really lived up the macho stereotype. The Tougher Than the Rest video being a minor exception (video is a live concert take with couples posing for the camera, a few of the couples are same sex, though the same sex ones never kiss).
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:04am
Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 8:56am
Bruce's version is sluggish and over-emoted.
The best part of this comment is that it applies to any of his songs.

:lol:

Also, Bruce's fans tend to only stuff that is only one or two steps removed from actual Springsteen. I would put good money on the "Best Music of 2017" thread on the Bruce board mostly being Steve Van Zandt's solo album. As much as I love Bruce, I can rarely stand stuff that is directly inspired by him.
Goddamnit Matey I was playing the Doc very nicely here but now you've validated the fact that you're a Springsteen fan with a sense of humour. You've ruined everything, Springsteen fans must remain po-faced at all times. Beat your chest and punch the air and always remain earnest. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

If its any consolation, I think matey posted that in this old pickup truck as he was driving past the old factory he used to work at.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 1:44pm
If its any consolation, I think matey posted that in this old pickup truck as he was driving past the old factory he used to work at.
It's scant consolation but if he was playing "Out In the Street" at full volume and giving it to the man then I'll accept that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia