So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 3:01pm
Man, it feels like AA is in LA every few months. Sounds like he's still killing it, if the clips on yt are anything to go by.
Yeah, I think I've seen him like 6x now.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Friday night at the Dillon Amphitheater was Devotchka, and Saturday Night was George Clinton & Parliament-Funkadelic. Fuckin' awesome weekend of free music.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Anyone see the Descendents lately? Or Agent Orange?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Sorry, no video of the Elvis impersonator in the local market square (who was outstanding, too).
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 7:04pm

Sorry, no video of the Elvis impersonator in the local market square (who was outstanding, too).
I love SLF. But fuck! Jake stop eating all the pies. Have to change the band name to Fat Chubby Fingers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 5:48pm
I saw the Decendents last winter in Michigan. Well worth it. Great show.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 10:51pm
Olaf wrote:

I love SLF. But fuck! Jake stop eating all the pies. Have to change the band name to Fat Chubby Fingers.
Or "Fingers in the Pie". Might be due to medication use though. I think he mentioned something about struggling with depression.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 8:39am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 10:51pm
Olaf wrote:

Or "Fingers in the Pie". Might be due to medication use though. I think he mentioned something about struggling with depression.
In that case he gets a pass. I'm on depression meds at the moment and fuck me do they add the weight on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 5:48pm
I've seen the Descendents a couple times in the last 4-5 years, great show. Their last album was good as hell, they aren't missing a beat at all.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Saw Jack White last night (with opener Tyler Childers, who was decent but these days fairly standard-issue rockin' Americana). Incredible show. One of my major concert regrets is not seeing The White Stripes in Denver circa 03-04. It was not convenient to go to (despite a bunch of friends attending) and I figured I'd catch 'em in Boston or back in Denver another time, blah blah blah. Of course, as these things happen, by happenstance I never had the right opportunity to see what was, through high school and college, consistently one of my favorite bands for close to a decade. So, this was at least to some extent making up for that (even if a Jack White solo show isn't the same thing as a White Stripes concert).

And, well, I was blown away. I have probably a majority of Jack White's major works (all the white stripes and solo records, all the not-that-great dead weather and raconteurs records, a bunch of various singles across all categories) and I really never got why he was so respected as a guitar player. It just doesn't translate in the studio properly. Especially when White's tunes get subjected to the Third Man Records house sound. Fortunately, a lot of what can be a bit offputting and pretentious about the Third Man Records set-up melts away in the Jack White live environment where his massive, massive guitar sound overwhelms everything else (in the best way possible). White may not be the most technically proficient guitarist ever, but on-stage it becomes blindingly obvious the pure love he puts into guitar playing and the way he gives the instrument a life of its own. Songs were close to 50/50 covers of his various bands' works (tons of White Stripes songs, given much heavier interpretations than the relatively sparse original recordings) and solo stuff (half a dozen or so track from the new record, which translates much, much better live and a few from previous albums). Highlights included a very playful runthrough of Hotel Yorba, a ripping runthrough of new singles The Corporation and Ice Station Zebra, a gritty, thunderous Cuts Like a Buffalo and a fuzzed out, jamming take on I'm Slowly Turning Into You.

The encore was more "okay, now to play the hits more-or-less as you remember them" which was also fun (I mean, ain't nothing wrong with seeing Jack White rip through Steady As She Goes -> The Hardest Button to Button -> Connected by Love -> Seven Nation Army). Great show, highly recommend seeing him if you get a shot. Helped make up for one of my big concert mistakes some years ago.

Oh, and as a side note, the concert was a no cell phone affair. A pouch was provided you put your phone into and you can only open it up at designated spots. It was completely great. I've always fallen on the "whatever, people should do what they want" side of the phone/no phone debate at concerts, but my mind is completely changed. There were at least half a dozen times I just, with no thought, instinctually reached for my phone and was so glad it wasn't there and I could just remain absorbed in the concert. And if you looked around, everyone else was fully engage too. No sidebars, no screwing around, just total concentration on the music from everyone in the building. And not having a zillion screens popping up during the concerts Big Moments literally made it easier to see what was going on up on stage, with richer color contrasts between the darkened audience and the stage lighting (which was excellent at the show, stage presence was definitely considered with care) and kept the crowed energy up very nicely. Lots of great crowd sing a longs/calls and responses/etc. that were more on-point from the crowd than I remember in a long time. I'm totally converted, the concert experience is so much better when no one has access to their goddamned phones. I hope more artists use the pouch thingy in the future.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 3:24pm
Saw Jack White last night (with opener Tyler Childers, who was decent but these days fairly standard-issue rockin' Americana). Incredible show. One of my major concert regrets is not seeing The White Stripes in Denver circa 03-04. It was not convenient to go to (despite a bunch of friends attending) and I figured I'd catch 'em in Boston or back in Denver another time, blah blah blah. Of course, as these things happen, by happenstance I never had the right opportunity to see what was, through high school and college, consistently one of my favorite bands for close to a decade. So, this was at least to some extent making up for that (even if a Jack White solo show isn't the same thing as a White Stripes concert).

And, well, I was blown away. I have probably a majority of Jack White's major works (all the white stripes and solo records, all the not-that-great dead weather and raconteurs records, a bunch of various singles across all categories) and I really never got why he was so respected as a guitar player. It just doesn't translate in the studio properly. Especially when White's tunes get subjected to the Third Man Records house sound. Fortunately, a lot of what can be a bit offputting and pretentious about the Third Man Records set-up melts away in the Jack White live environment where his massive, massive guitar sound overwhelms everything else (in the best way possible). White may not be the most technically proficient guitarist ever, but on-stage it becomes blindingly obvious the pure love he puts into guitar playing and the way he gives the instrument a life of its own. Songs were close to 50/50 covers of his various bands' works (tons of White Stripes songs, given much heavier interpretations than the relatively sparse original recordings) and solo stuff (half a dozen or so track from the new record, which translates much, much better live and a few from previous albums). Highlights included a very playful runthrough of Hotel Yorba, a ripping runthrough of new singles The Corporation and Ice Station Zebra, a gritty, thunderous Cuts Like a Buffalo and a fuzzed out, jamming take on I'm Slowly Turning Into You.

The encore was more "okay, now to play the hits more-or-less as you remember them" which was also fun (I mean, ain't nothing wrong with seeing Jack White rip through Steady As She Goes -> The Hardest Button to Button -> Connected by Love -> Seven Nation Army). Great show, highly recommend seeing him if you get a shot. Helped make up for one of my big concert mistakes some years ago.

Oh, and as a side note, the concert was a no cell phone affair. A pouch was provided you put your phone into and you can only open it up at designated spots. It was completely great. I've always fallen on the "whatever, people should do what they want" side of the phone/no phone debate at concerts, but my mind is completely changed. There were at least half a dozen times I just, with no thought, instinctually reached for my phone and was so glad it wasn't there and I could just remain absorbed in the concert. And if you looked around, everyone else was fully engage too. No sidebars, no screwing around, just total concentration on the music from everyone in the building. And not having a zillion screens popping up during the concerts Big Moments literally made it easier to see what was going on up on stage, with richer color contrasts between the darkened audience and the stage lighting (which was excellent at the show, stage presence was definitely considered with care) and kept the crowed energy up very nicely. Lots of great crowd sing a longs/calls and responses/etc. that were more on-point from the crowd than I remember in a long time. I'm totally converted, the concert experience is so much better when no one has access to their goddamned phones. I hope more artists use the pouch thingy in the future.
I've grown to respect him quite a lot as an artist. I'm jealous as hell. Ni is much, much more jealous. She says to tell you she'd trade her kev n wendy inspired new love of gin for that experience.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 3:37pm
I've grown to respect him quite a lot as an artist. I'm jealous as hell. Ni is much, much more jealous. She says to tell you she'd trade her kev n wendy inspired new love of gin for that experience.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Suggested "life hack": drink gin AND go see jack white

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Flex wrote:

Hello,

I quite agree with you regarding the phone in the pouch idea on a couple of points. Firstly, people attempting to tape the show on their phone eventually watch their phone taping the show rather than watching the show. Secondly, do the people who tape the show on their phone actually enjoy watching the show on their phone (a crappy shoot/perspective of the show at best)? Finally, there's a lack of focus one the performance when trying to get your phone to view the show. Some of the points are pretty obvious, so I guess I'm just venting/supporting your thoughts. Given technology advancements, artists should prohibit phones while offering a better download of the show for a few bucks.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Had a couple of concerts last week.

Thursday night was Nathaniel Rateliffe & The Night Sweats with SLIM CESSNA'S AUTO CLUB at Red Rocks. Great venue obviously, and always a good time just to be there. Alas, I'd sprung for some seats in the lower rows but didn't realize I would be right in front of the large stack speakers, so partially obstructed view and the sound was obviously off. Not too bad for NR&tNS but for SLIM it was occasionally almost unlistenable. Brought my fiancee and it was not a great intro for her to one of my favorite bands. Still, badly mixed SCAC is better than no SCAC at all, imho. Set was shorter than usual - I'm not used to them being openers, I guess. I saw Slim after the show and he recognized me and we caught up for a hot minute, so that was pretty validating.

NR&tNS were a band I was only vaguely familiar with before the concert, relatively new they've only put out 2 studio records, an EP and a live album (from Red Rocks, natch). Anyways, if you listen to current rock-ish radio you've probably heard a few of their songs. Sort of in the vein of the big 'ol roots/americana revival going on now, but with a much bigger soul influence (they're even on the Stax label), so a nice twist. Rateliffe does have a great voice, and the songs are fun. Good showmanship, dancing around and such. I'd see 'em again.

Last night I saw the Cherry Poppin' Daddies at our own Dillon Amphitheatre - great, great show. They mixed in a bunch of their ska material (which the lead singer told me after the show they don't always do - a lot of times they just do straight Swing shows) and their newest couple records are all old timey 30s tunes and great american songbook songs, which they did very well in concert. Amusingly, zoot suit riot and ding dog daddy of the d-car line closed out the main set and they came back with an obscure number that I don't recall for the encore and ended with, hilariously, cherry poppin daddy strut. Very nice guys, most of the 8 piece band hung out after the show to cell cds and records themselves, sign autographs and talk with everyone. Extremely personable, I was very impressed. Anyways, the 3rd wave ska revival of 2018 is obviously such a smashing success that we're even getting some residual swing revival-revival out of the deal.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:06am
Flex wrote:

Hello,

I quite agree with you regarding the phone in the pouch idea on a couple of points. Firstly, people attempting to tape the show on their phone eventually watch their phone taping the show rather than watching the show. Secondly, do the people who tape the show on their phone actually enjoy watching the show on their phone (a crappy shoot/perspective of the show at best)? Finally, there's a lack of focus one the performance when trying to get your phone to view the show. Some of the points are pretty obvious, so I guess I'm just venting/supporting your thoughts. Given technology advancements, artists should prohibit phones while offering a better download of the show for a few bucks.
Agree. Nothing worse than being at a show and having to watch through a sea of mobile phones showing you what you can’t see in front of you. Let’s face it if you record sny footage on your phone it is crap anyway and usually consists of footage of other people’s phone screens and crap sound.
Rant over.