So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 11:42pm
Caught the Dropkick Murphys doing their St Patricks Day show on streaming - seems like it's a new tradition to have them stream the show and have me watch it - and it was good. My observations are thus:

1. No Al Barr again, he's still taking care of his mother who has dementia, which I don't care for (not least because it's a bitter reason not to be playing with your band) but Casey did a decent job handling all the vocal duties. Better than last time, iirc.

2. Only two McColgan era songs, but they were good ones: Barroom Hero and Boys on the Docks. The missus thought it was funny I could sing every fucking word of the those songs, particularly Barroom Hero which had me standing up and trying to start my own pit in my basement.

3. Billy Bragg joined for a few songs, including great versions of Which Side Are You On? And All You Fascists Bound to Lose. Great guest to have play with them.

4. Ken Casey dedicated a couple songs to hating Trump and calling him and MAGA fascists. I know DKM gets a bunch of shit (some of it deserved) for trading their punk fan base for a jock one, but if that's the case then it may be a good thing that you have those guys up there being pro-union, pro-immigrant, anti-MAGA and extremely anti-Trump. Hard to say what influence, if any, a band can have on someone but maybe they can get through to one or two of the dumbasses in the audience. Honestly, the politics of the band now are light years better than the "liberal scum to the back" stuff of the McColgan early days.

5. Only (I think) 4 out of 26 songs from their last two studio albums of original material. A pretty good mix of stuff from throughout their career. Wish they'd closed with Skinhead on the MBTA but otherwise can't complain. The last couple times I've streamed or seen 'em they were touring new, lesser, albums and no shade for playing newer stuff but it's a better setlist when they're picking and choosing from throughout their career instead of feeling like they need to play most of the new album or something.

Good show. Glad they've kept the streaming thing going, it's a nice way to close out St. Patrick's Day.
Very cool. Appreciated some of the play by play last night. I wish I was able to pull up at least the Billy Bragg portion, the missus is a fan of his so we'd have had a bit of fun with that.

You mentioned (praise be) no Pennywise. What about Kneecap were they shown at all?

I have Kim Gordon on Thursday and Jeff Rosenstock on Sunday coming up.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 7:07pm
matedog wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 5:38pm
Kory wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 3:24pm
Flex wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 1:59pm
Kory wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 1:10pm
The real thing going on is that music is dead and podcasts are the new music.
I dunno about the first point but the second one may have some merit and its depressing as fuck.
People just don't listen to music anymore. They listen to podcasts instead. Podcasts instead, music is dead.
Perhaps people our age, but that's always been the thing. Or just that people our age stop listening to new music, I should clarify. Whether they listen to the same old stuff from when they were 19 or pivot to podcasts, they don't typically listen to new music.
I like to ruin students' day by telling them that once you hit 30, your sense of adventure starts to decline / producers of popular culture stop marketing to them. They think they're right in with what's going on—and they are—but the clock is ticking and they'll be as out of it as their parents. Nothing wrong with that, but everyone's living on borrowed time in terms of knowing what's up.
But funnily enough, as they approach 40 they start getting marketed to again.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 1:59pm

I dunno about the first point but the second one may have some merit and its depressing as fuck.
People just don't listen to music anymore. They listen to podcasts instead. Podcasts instead, music is dead.
Perhaps people our age, but that's always been the thing. Or just that people our age stop listening to new music, I should clarify. Whether they listen to the same old stuff from when they were 19 or pivot to podcasts, they don't typically listen to new music.
I like to ruin students' day by telling them that once you hit 30, your sense of adventure starts to decline / producers of popular culture stop marketing to them. They think they're right in with what's going on—and they are—but the clock is ticking and they'll be as out of it as their parents. Nothing wrong with that, but everyone's living on borrowed time in terms of knowing what's up.
How so? That is, yes, of course we'll be marketed to our entire lives, but after 30 it's not stuff that is considered "cool" or trendy.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:03pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

How so? That is, yes, of course we'll be marketed to our entire lives, but after 30 it's not stuff that is considered "cool" or trendy.
Thinking specifically here about how a lot of pop culture is either rehashed or reinterpreted stuff from our childhood, which coincidentally tends to dovetail with what's hot with the kids in music and fashion. For example, the 90s are pretty damn big across the board right now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Thinking specifically here about how a lot of pop culture is either rehashed or reinterpreted stuff from our childhood, which coincidentally tends to dovetail with what's hot with the kids in music and fashion. For example, the 90s are pretty damn big across the board right now.
Postmodern critics argue that's evidence of our cultural stagnation, that all we have left is empty, repackaged nostalgia. How it's perceived is different, tho. For young people, it'll be new and can be spun as distinct. For old people, it's, at best, comfort food.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:17pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Postmodern critics argue that's evidence of our cultural stagnation, that all we have left is empty, repackaged nostalgia. How it's perceived is different, tho. For young people, it'll be new and can be spun as distinct. For old people, it's, at best, comfort food.
Yeah definitely not arguing against that. It's just interesting how the decade hits both generations at the same time. The adults have the disposable income to buy their own nostalgia, and they probably get a kick out of buying related stuff for their kids.I remember how big the 70s were when I was in my younger and more attractive days.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah definitely not arguing against that. It's just interesting how the decade hits both generations at the same time. The adults have the disposable income to buy their own nostalgia, and they probably get a kick out of buying related stuff for their kids.I remember how big the 70s were when I was in my younger and more attractive days.
Yeah, think about how the big the 60s were in the 80s - The Big Chill, Roy Orbison, and musical behemoth that is Kokomo. None of this is new.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I don't doubt advertisers now consider these things as a package, the campaigns designed to look like market segmentation is going on, but trying to build a mass appeal.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:38pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, think about how the big the 60s were in the 80s - The Big Chill, Roy Orbison, and musical behemoth that is Kokomo. None of this is new.
Definitive Kokomo:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
For example, the 90s are pretty damn big across the board right now.
Also, the 90s have always been big across this board. :cool:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:44pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Definitive Kokomo:
It retains the deft arrangement of the original, I got no complaints here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

But that stuff wasn't marketed to Xers. That was purely Boomers feeling old and wanting that Peter Pan rush of youth and relevance. I've long thought that Boomer nostalgia in the 80s was less cuddly cosy than desperate at their own cultural irrelevance in the present.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 3:01pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

But that stuff wasn't marketed to Xers. That was purely Boomers feeling old and wanting that Peter Pan rush of youth and relevance. I've long thought that Boomer nostalgia in the 80s was less cuddly cosy than desperate at their own cultural irrelevance in the present.
Got it, your point is that youth culture is rehashing previous generational culture as opposed to old people getting hit up for those nostalgia bucks. I mean, the 70s were big for 90s youth (Dazed and Confused is an obvious example), 80s were big for 00s youth (thinking of new wave, post punk inspiring bands like Interpol and The Killers).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Got it, your point is that youth culture is rehashing previous generational culture as opposed to old people getting hit up for those nostalgia bucks. I mean, the 70s were big for 90s youth (Dazed and Confused is an obvious example), 80s were big for 00s youth (thinking of new wave, post punk inspiring bands like Interpol and The Killers).
It was a bit more Kory's point, but yes, I do think it was the 90s when the popular culture started to be mined for new art rather than just straight-up nostalgia, perhaps because Xers have a more complicated relationship with the popular culture of their childhood than Boomers. More driven by irony or Wolter's idea of sincere irony. I can't speak for how Millennials approach that stuff, tho.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 4:07pm
matedog wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

It was a bit more Kory's point, but yes, I do think it was the 90s when the popular culture started to be mined for new art rather than just straight-up nostalgia, perhaps because Xers have a more complicated relationship with the popular culture of their childhood than Boomers. More driven by irony or Wolter's idea of sincere irony. I can't speak for how Millennials approach that stuff, tho.
Viewing figures for the upcoming X-Men cartoon will answer that.