Public Image Limited

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:10pm
we harrumph sometimes about how the Clash catalog could be treated slightly more authoritatively or about the replication of compilations and whatever, but man oh man do we sit pretty compared to Lydon's consumer exploitation music projects.
Still my gold standard for unnecessary, absolutely awful live albums (tho Go4's "At the Palace" is close):
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
we harrumph sometimes about how the Clash catalog could be treated slightly more authoritatively or about the replication of compilations and whatever, but man oh man do we sit pretty compared to Lydon's consumer exploitation music projects.
The PiL box set is really good. The mastering fault aside. Which is not the bands fault. Of course most has been released before but as people here are so fond to tell me it's not for fans or collectors like me but to entice new fans and have everything in one neato package.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:34pm
Flex wrote:
Still my gold standard for unnecessary, absolutely awful live albums (tho Go4's "At the Palace" is close):
Whats strange is that PiL' s Paris Ah Printemps is great and Lydon told fans not to buy it because it's carp.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:36pm
Of course most has been released before but as people here are so fond to tell me it's not for fans or collectors like me but to entice new fans and have everything in one neato package.
Harumph. I believe I'm the only one who holds that view; everyone else is like you and thinks I'm dumb as a stump.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:39pm
Whats strange is that PiL' s Paris Ah Printemps is great and Lydon told fans not to buy it because it's carp.
Really? Yes, PaP is fantastic—one of my favourite non-bootleg live albums—but I thought it was rush released because PiL were upset about the number of boots floating around (notably Profile). I don't quite get the logic of how an official live album will cut into sales of boots (which are low numbers anyway), but PiL was a business not a band and they must know what they're doing. :shifty:
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 14 Aug 2018, 3:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Of course most has been released before but as people here are so fond to tell me it's not for fans or collectors like me but to entice new fans and have everything in one neato package.
Harumph. I believe I'm the only one who holds that view; everyone else is like you and thinks I'm dumb as a stump.
A curmudgeon can be a fine thing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Really? Yes, PaP is fantastic—one of my favourite non-bootleg live albums—but I thought it was rush released because PiL were upset about the number of boots floating around (notably Profile). I don't quite get the logic of how an official live album will cut into sales of boots (which are low numbers anyway), but PiL was a business not a band and they must know what they're doing. :shifty:
“We had to do that to finance the making of Metal Box. Because money was very, very tight. I did explain that in every interview I ever did. Don't buy this live record, because it's not very good.”

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Let's not bring revbob into this.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Let's not bring revbob into this.
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
“We had to do that to finance the making of Metal Box. Because money was very, very tight. I did explain that in every interview I ever did. Don't buy this live record, because it's not very good.”
But it came after MB, no? So how does it fund MB? Anyway, that's a completely different story than I've heard about its release. Weird. But it doesn't change the fact that it complements quite nicely the two Wobble albums.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
But it came after MB, no? So how does it fund MB? Anyway, that's a completely different story than I've heard about its release. Weird. But it doesn't change the fact that it complements quite nicely the two Wobble albums.
Indeed it came after MB but MB box with it's packaging costs crippled the money side of things for PiL so a way of getting back some easy dough was the live album. What's interesting to me is on the new box set's "Unreleased" disc is that take of
"Careering" from the other night at Paris. It sounds brilliant and it leads me to believe they had to have recorded the sets from both nights in full. Now a bolstered up remastered Paris Au Printemps would be a great thing to have.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Indeed it came after MB but MB box with it's packaging costs crippled the money side of things for PiL so a way of getting back some easy dough was the live album.
Ah, so less making MB than recovering from it.
What's interesting to me is on the new box set's "Unreleased" disc is that take of
"Careering" from the other night at Paris. It sounds brilliant and it leads me to believe they had to have recorded the sets from both nights in full. Now a bolstered up remastered Paris Au Printemps would be a great thing to have.
Seriously. An archival live program would be very welcome (at least for the first few years of the group).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
What else has there been besides Plastic Box? I'm drawing a blank. I remember First Issue came out with nothing but Cowboy Song and an interview as extras.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 5:41pm
Flex wrote:
What else has there been besides Plastic Box? I'm drawing a blank. I remember First Issue came out with nothing but Cowboy Song and an interview as extras.
The Greatest Hits, So Far
The Best of British £1 ♫'s
Public Image Ltd Gold

That's it I think for the comps.
Maybe Flex is referring to the reissues with no extra tracks. Or maybe he's meaning the Pistols as well.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 7:24pm
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 5:41pm
Flex wrote:
The Greatest Hits, So Far
The Best of British £1 ♫'s
Public Image Ltd Gold

That's it I think for the comps.
Maybe Flex is referring to the reissues with no extra tracks. Or maybe he's meaning the Pistols as well.
On the plus side, those superduper, mondo, ultra, holy doodle editions of Metal Box and Album are pretty swell.