revbob wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 11:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 10:31am
revbob wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 10:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 9:02pm
An observation I made in class today: We were casully talking about the various types of metal—black, death, power, symphonic, thrash, etc—and I asked when metal seemed to become consumed by taxonomy. I remember the good old days when metal was about sex, Satan, and scaring parents. Why'd it get so complicated?
Back when parents and even some clueless listeners perhaps, thought Van Halen really were Running With the Devil and you were too if you listened to them.
Heh, there's a scholarly study about heavy metal called Running With the Devil. I don't recall the author calling Van Halen a metal band (but Eddie's technique is analyzed), but the title is kind of too good to pass up.
I used to/might still have these recordings of some crazy Christian guy. He even went as far as to call Debbie Harry satanic. He closed off that segment by saying "Call Me"? No thanks!!
Bob Larson?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Larson

I have a couple of his books as research material.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 11:32am
revbob wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 11:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 10:31am
revbob wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 10:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 9:02pm
An observation I made in class today: We were casully talking about the various types of metal—black, death, power, symphonic, thrash, etc—and I asked when metal seemed to become consumed by taxonomy. I remember the good old days when metal was about sex, Satan, and scaring parents. Why'd it get so complicated?
Back when parents and even some clueless listeners perhaps, thought Van Halen really were Running With the Devil and you were too if you listened to them.
Heh, there's a scholarly study about heavy metal called Running With the Devil. I don't recall the author calling Van Halen a metal band (but Eddie's technique is analyzed), but the title is kind of too good to pass up.
I used to/might still have these recordings of some crazy Christian guy. He even went as far as to call Debbie Harry satanic. He closed off that segment by saying "Call Me"? No thanks!!
Bob Larson?

Yeah and I get Swank for the articles.

I'll have to dig them up. I don't recall a name I think the recordings were released via focus on the family.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 1:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 11:32am
Bob Larson?

Yeah and I get Swank for the articles.
Ha! in this case, it's true. My research is on opposition to rock music. Larson's been in that game since the 60s.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 9:55am
I've tried discerning the distinctions, but either my tin ears or not being a metal fan in general has hindered me. Or, at least, where I can see differences, I scratch my head in regarding that an important division. My suspicion is that being a fan makes it easier and more desirable to be a divider; to a non-fan, the seeming similarities are what stand out because there isn't that interest in appreciating the finer points.
It boils down to sex with human females vs. sex with orcs.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 1:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 9:55am
I've tried discerning the distinctions, but either my tin ears or not being a metal fan in general has hindered me. Or, at least, where I can see differences, I scratch my head in regarding that an important division. My suspicion is that being a fan makes it easier and more desirable to be a divider; to a non-fan, the seeming similarities are what stand out because there isn't that interest in appreciating the finer points.
It boils down to sex with human females vs. sex with orcs.
*casts an arched eyebrow Wolter's way*

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Watch Beto O’Rourke Reference the Clash During Ted Cruz Debate
https://pitchfork.com/news/watch-beto-o ... ate/amp/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 9:22pm
All things considered, that’s a pretty deep cut to reference.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 1:41am
Real talk: I think metal may be the genre whose sub genres vary in sound the most. Black metal and glam metal are theoretically both metal, but only in the same way a slow loris and an orca are both mammals.
Which sub-genre of metal would Nirvana fall under or are they just straight-up heavy metal?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 12:41am
revbob wrote:
If he really wanted to troll the fuck out of Cruz, he'd insert a random Stryper lyric in there.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 5:16am
Wolter wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 1:41am
Real talk: I think metal may be the genre whose sub genres vary in sound the most. Black metal and glam metal are theoretically both metal, but only in the same way a slow loris and an orca are both mammals.
Which sub-genre of metal would Nirvana fall under or are they just straight-up heavy metal?
Punk rock.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 10:57am
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
If he really wanted to troll the fuck out of Cruz, he'd insert a random Stryper lyric in there.

Fuck I love a good Cruz meme.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 12:30pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:

There was also this, after Friday's debate:

This is all superficial shit and all, but, c'mon, this is pretty cool.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 12:59pm
matedog wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 12:30pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
matedog wrote:

There was also this, after Friday's debate:

This is all superficial shit and all, but, c'mon, this is pretty cool.
I mean, of course O'Rourke (a reliable...if not exactly standout...progressive vote in the House) is going to be neutered by the Senate into voting party-line for for whatever horrible lizard person Chuck Schumer wants, so his indie cred doesn't make any real-world difference. But I just love that this whole election has become a referendum on Cruz being a sad little case of arrested development.

It's just...spectacular...to watch him walk down open elevator shaft after open elevator shaft trying to keep up with a narrative of "who can pull off a more plausible humanoid?"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, it's sort of a fun race to watch because it's such a clear case of actual human being vs. lizard person as you're likely to find in a competitive political race. Of course, this is America (and Texas), so the lizard person is likely gonna win.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In that superficial way, it's Kennedy vs. Nixon. One candidate exudes total comfort with himself, utter youthful cool, and then there's the undeniable slime monster who inspires aversion on sight and loathing when he speaks. How hard is it to insert O'Rourke and Cruz here: