The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

A musical observation: Like a zillion other people, I always loved "The Night They Drove Old Dixe Down". Love most versions I've heard - particularly the OG and Baez renditions. Came up on the radio the other day and, unfortunately, it came off (lyrically) as completely repulsive. Current events haven't cast Lost Cause bullshit in a very kind light of late. Alas.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 12:28pm
A musical observation: Like a zillion other people, I always loved "The Night They Drove Old Dixe Down". Love most versions I've heard - particularly the OG and Baez renditions. Came up on the radio the other day and, unfortunately, it came off (lyrically) as completely repulsive. Current events haven't cast Lost Cause bullshit in a very kind light of late. Alas.
Ironically, possibly because of my awareness and upbringing, I've always found that song fairly repellant lyrically, which spoiled it for me long ago.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 12:34pm
Ironically, possibly because of my awareness and upbringing, I've always found that song fairly repellant lyrically, which spoiled it for me long ago.
Yeah, I mean, I've always academically understood the problems with the song, but I guess you can get sort of isolated from it as a major contemporary cultural force. I sort of had it chalked up to other antiquated politics that still hold up as folk music. It would have always been in the Problematic bucket, but I guess it feels less excusable than listening to, say, the Meatmen these days.

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 12:42pm
Wolter wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 12:34pm
Yeah, I mean, I've always academically understood the problems with the song, but I guess you can get sort of isolated from it as a major contemporary cultural force. I sort of had it chalked up to other antiquated politics that still hold up as folk music. It would have always been in the Problematic bucket, but I guess it feels less excusable than listening to, say, the Meatmen these days.
In a weird twist of fate, being blatantly scummy and only listenable by a fringe audience is less offensive to me than if you're subtly wrong about an issue via an accessible song.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Addendum: I sure liked Rebel Waltz a lot more before I realized the Rebels weren't South or Central American as I assumed on early listens.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 12:45pm
In a weird twist of fate, being blatantly scummy and only listenable by a fringe audience is less offensive to me than if you're subtly wrong about an issue via an accessible song.
Probably same, I listen to tons of horrible shit (much of it what you listen to as well), but you're not likely to hear any of it on the radio or mistake it for anything but deliberately offensive.

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 12:52pm
Wolter wrote:
Probably same, I listen to tons of horrible shit (much of it what you listen to as well), but you're not likely to hear any of it on the radio or mistake it for anything but deliberately offensive.
Word. No one is going to hear "crippled children suck" and think "this is a nuanced take about an issue that affects millions."

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 12:47pm
Addendum: I sure liked Rebel Waltz a lot more before I realized the Rebels weren't South or Central American as I assumed on early listens.
How did you realize this? The song is pretty vague...
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 12:56pm
Wolter wrote:
I feel like it lives in an earlier era than the confederacy. I've pictured roundheads instead of greyshirts.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Which is what so scared mid-century mass culture critics—accessibility. A novel like The Amboy Dukes could be ignored if it was $5 and a library could put it in a special reading room to control access. But charge 25 cents and make it available at bus depots and drugstores—now that's a crisis and justified pressure campaigns. It ain't about producers or consumers so much as distributors. (Tho it can also hint at a fear of the masses.)
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I used to scoff at critics assuming this, but...it begins with a Rebel Yell. I mean, I do my best to picture otherwise, but Joe was always the romantic type, and I can see him hearing "lost cause" and writing that tale.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 3:18pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I used to scoff at critics assuming this, but...it begins with a Rebel Yell. I mean, I do my best to picture otherwise, but Joe was always the romantic type, and I can see him hearing "lost cause" and writing that tale.
It seems the English (or maybe just The Clash) misunderstand the confederacy a fair amount.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kory wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 4:18pm
Wolter wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 3:18pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
It seems the English (or maybe just The Clash) misunderstand the confederacy a fair amount.

Some commenter on YouTube contends it's about Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Blame the Dukes of Hazzard for popularizing all that crap as just fun-lovin' good ol' boyism.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 4:57pm
Blame the Dukes of Hazzard for popularizing all that crap as just fun-lovin' good ol' boyism.
I blame that show for many things. Here's the only good thing to come out of it: