The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 3:33pm
So today I learnt that Who Are You is about a chance meeting between Townsend, Steve Jones and Paul Cook.
I'd heard that story. What makes me cringe about the song is where Roger shouts "Who the fuck are you!" You can tell he's trying to be 'punk' and it just comes across as forced.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 4:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
So today I learnt that Who Are You is about a chance meeting between Townsend, Steve Jones and Paul Cook.
I'd heard that story. What makes me cringe about the song is where Roger shouts "Who the fuck are you!" You can tell he's trying to be 'punk' and it just comes across as forced.
Roger's got a great voice but it is in no way a punk voice, so, yeah, I agree.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 4:48pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
But then he is telling a true story in the first person although the person it relates to is standing next to him.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 8:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
But then he is telling a true story in the first person although the person it relates to is standing next to him.
As Heston suggests, there's a certain superficial nod to punk defiance in that line, but it doesn't work because Roger doesn't have the right voice for it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 8:53pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
As Heston suggests, there's a certain superficial nod to punk defiance in that line, but it doesn't work because Roger doesn't have the right voice for it.
I’d suggest the line directly ties in to the story so is relevant to the overall song.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 9:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I’d suggest the line directly ties in to the story so is relevant to the overall song.
I wonder if it's a Townshend line, or a Daltrey twist. It doesn't fit the mood of the lyrics, which are about existentially powerful hangover guilt and loss of identity.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:20am
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wonder if it's a Townshend line, or a Daltrey twist. It doesn't fit the mood of the lyrics, which are about existentially powerful hangover guilt and loss of identity.
No it is Townsend’s line and isn’t about loss of identity quite the opposite. “Who are you” was a drunk Townsend putting down others around him. He gets more and more morose the drunker he gets.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

101Walterton wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 3:41am
Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

No it is Townsend’s line and isn’t about loss of identity quite the opposite. “Who are you” was a drunk Townsend putting down others around him. He gets more and more morose the drunker he gets.
Nothing in the lyrics to support my theory, but aggressively asking himself who he is keeps a lot more to the general themes in his writing.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 5:45am
101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Nothing in the lyrics to support my theory, but aggressively asking himself who he is keeps a lot more to the general themes in his writing.
It's really hard not to look at Pete's lyrics, once he became a self-conscious serious artist, as part of his internal interrogation/therapy.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 7:37am
Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

It's really hard not to look at Pete's lyrics, once he became a self-conscious serious artist, as part of his internal interrogation/therapy.
I imagine him dragging himself out of the Soho doorway, past the Who fan policeman, and catching glimpses of himself in shop windows and reflections on cars, and asking himself the question of the title. That this uncertainty is expressed by the very certain medium of a still vital rock band allows some ambivalence to the message.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 7:37am
Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I imagine him dragging himself out of the Soho doorway, past the Who fan policeman, and catching glimpses of himself in shop windows and reflections on cars, and asking himself the question of the title. That this uncertainty is expressed by the very certain medium of a still vital rock band allows some ambivalence to the message.
The story is that Townsend was on a drinking bender in a Soho pub. He was being his most obnoxious self and kept saying “who are you” to everyone around him or who approached him. It was meant as a put down I.e. I’m Pete Townsend (big star) who are you? (a nobody). He was getting more and more aggressive and abusive.
Steve Jones and Paul Cook were in the pub and saw this and got it from Townsend until he realised who they were. Townsend was a Pistols fan so then sat down and spoke to Jones and Cook.
I don’t know whether the “who the fuck are you” was their retort to Townshend (likely from Jones who although was a fan wasn’t shy coming forward) or whether that was just Townshend’s escalation of abuse at the other customers as he got more and more aggressive (drunk).
I agree that in the lyric there could be double meaning of telling the story as it happened as well as his response in reflection to himself.

I remember throwin' punches around
And preachin' from my chair
Well, who are you? (who are you? who, who, who, who?)
I really wanna know (who are you? who, who, who, who?)

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I believe Townshend mistook Paul Cook for Lydon and expected a better conversation.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 3:51pm
I believe Townshend mistook Paul Cook for Lydon and expected a better conversation.
I’d rather chat to Cooky

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 3:57pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I’d rather chat to Cooky
Totally. Can't stand Lydon as a person for a good few years now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 4:16pm
101Walterton wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 3:57pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I’d rather chat to Cooky
Totally. Can't stand Lydon as a person for a good few years now.
He's actually become more annoying now that he's all media friendly and adopted some kind of elder statesman role. And, like, being cool with W., Thatcher, and the royal family.