Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 12:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 11:30am
I hear his unreleased version of "The Cowboy Song" is a tour de force.
I'll give accolades to anything Phil Collins decides not to release.
If he ever holds you hostage I'll probably agree. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm interested in tracing the almost ubiquitous use of chorus effects by bassists in post punk. The earliest that I can think of is Barry Adamson, but is there precedent for it before that? Was he influenced by somebody else or was all of post punk influenced by him?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 12:37am
I'm interested in tracing the almost ubiquitous use of chorus effects by bassists in post punk. The earliest that I can think of is Barry Adamson, but is there precedent for it before that? Was he influenced by somebody else or was all of post punk influenced by him?
Barry used the Boss Chorus pedal can't really say if he was the first. Loads of bands like Tubeway Army/Gary Numan were putting instruments through pedals. The huge sound on 'Are Friends Electric?' is from a synth put through an effect pedal. Early Ultravox! did similar stuff I believe. But you could probably go back to Eno/Roxy Music for other examples maybe.

I think that Eno's "Here Come the Warm Jets" may have been a big influence on Barry. I don't know this as fact but it feels that way to me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Should we forgive Billy Corgan for his politics?
With a new album coming, can we reconcile his music and his toxicity?
https://www.salon.com/2017/10/13/billy-corgan-politics/

*phew* Luckily I find neither his politics nor his music appealing. Contradiction solved!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 7:50am

*phew* Luckily I find neither his politics nor his music appealing. Contradiction solved!
Yeah same here, his voice is nothing short of awful.

What i did get out of this article that I personally found troubling is that apparently Exene Cervenka has become a right wing comspiracy nut herself. Ive loved X from the first time I heard Hungry Wolf and now every time I hear an X song Ill think of this, which saddens me and that is the opposite of what X's music has always done for me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 3:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 7:50am

Yeah same here, his voice is nothing short of awful.

What i did get out of this article that I personally found troubling is that apparently Exene Cervenka has become a right wing comspiracy nut herself. Ive loved X from the first time I heard Hungry Wolf and now every time I hear an X song Ill think of this, which saddens me and that is the opposite of what X's music has always done for me.
More often than not, we benefit from being ignorant of what musicians, comedians, actors, etc think in areas outside their skills because too often we'll be disappointed or appalled and it negatively affects our ability to be entertained by them. The less we know about them, the more freely we can construct what we want from the music or movies or whatever. I sometimes wonder if the Internet, esp. Twitter, will ultimately weaken star power because celebrities shatter the spell by speaking unfiltered.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 4:54pm

More often than not, we benefit from being ignorant of what musicians, comedians, actors, etc think in areas outside their skills because too often we'll be disappointed or appalled and it negatively affects our ability to be entertained by them. The less we know about them, the more freely we can construct what we want from the music or movies or whatever. I sometimes wonder if the Internet, esp. Twitter, will ultimately weaken star power because celebrities shatter the spell by speaking unfiltered.
Yeah I agree and try not to give them importance outside of their art/skill. And I wouldnt normally seek to find out these things about artists. However if I know someone is a right wing asshole from the get go then Im not likely to be swayed by their talent to see past the assholeness. I dont expect much from sports figures and since Im not 12 with illusions of being a pro someday I just accept things as they are.

Also for those who have PBS and will be home the Pretenders are on Austin City Limits tonight.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Inder wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 8:29pm
Theres a "Come to My Window" joke in there somewhere

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

“Don't you know who I am?” Rundgren screamed. “I did that 'Bang the Drum All Day' song that everyone hates except for stadiums and radio dj's!”

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 6:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah I agree and try not to give them importance outside of their art/skill. And I wouldnt normally seek to find out these things about artists. However if I know someone is a right wing asshole from the get go then Im not likely to be swayed by their talent to see past the assholeness. I dont expect much from sports figures and since Im not 12 with illusions of being a pro someday I just accept things as they are.

Also for those who have PBS and will be home the Pretenders are on Austin City Limits tonight.
I'm pretty much a black belt in separating art from artist these days.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Pretenders. I last saw them in the early 80's in Albany, NY. They were good - Chrissie knows her role as the leader of a really good rock band, balancing the hits with the new album/promotion tracks. Putting Martin Chambers behind glass is different as he used to do the water on the snare gimmick. When I saw them, it was dangerous as drumsticks kept flying out into the crowd - you could poke your eye out. This show was fun. As with most Austin City Limits shows, the crowd looks really boring and old (although I am probably similar in age to most - Elvis Costello was the exception). Chrissie doesn't appear to have mellowed much with age as she was never a warm and fuzzy type although they finished with (guess what?) Brass in Pocket. Her commentary following the show was good ("Captain Beefheart wasn't making videos").

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 12:55am
revbob wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Pretenders. I last saw them in the early 80's in Albany, NY. They were good - Chrissie knows her role as the leader of a really good rock band, balancing the hits with the new album/promotion tracks. Putting Martin Chambers behind glass is different as he used to do the water on the snare gimmick. When I saw them, it was dangerous as drumsticks kept flying out into the crowd - you could poke your eye out. This show was fun. As with most Austin City Limits shows, the crowd looks really boring and old (although I am probably similar in age to most - Elvis Costello was the exception). Chrissie doesn't appear to have mellowed much with age as she was never a warm and fuzzy type although they finished with (guess what?) Brass in Pocket. Her commentary following the show was good ("Captain Beefheart wasn't making videos").
Cool, true to form I missed it as I fell asleep somewhere between 1030 and the 11pm start time.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If I understand the rules, it's good songs that should be retired? Shitty songs like Black Eyed Peas "I Got a Feeling" or Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" or most everything by KISS are obvious choices to destroy all copies and let us all take roofie to forget they existed. But decent songs is more of a challenge. Stuff from the 60s that Boomers have ruined thru over-exposure seems the most obvious. The Turtles' "Happy Together" is an okayish 60s pop tune but is now associated with hawking everything from cookies and cars to tampons and cruises.