16 Mar 2019, 7:30pm
Screenshot_20190316-175702_Chrome.jpg
Do alternate universes count?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

I'm cruel but I can't stop laughing at the cheery optimism in the face of long term abject failure in the second clip...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 7:36pm
I'm cruel but I can't stop laughing at the cheery optimism in the face of long term abject failure in the second clip...

What band comes on at ten to six?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 10:19pm
Heston wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 7:36pm

What band comes on at ten to six?
The village hall has a strict policy at 7 for anything other than bingo.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Happy Birthday to Terry Hall, the singer of Enjoy Yourself who has very obviously never enjoyed himself.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 9:53am
Happy Birthday to Terry Hall, the singer of Enjoy Yourself who has very obviously never enjoyed himself.
I just laughed very very loudly
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
It's later than you think.

A good cover version.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
He and I have a lot in common.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 12:59pm
Silent Majority wrote:
He and I have a lot in common.
As I do with you.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
The very first picture on GIS looks like someone who learned to smile by listening to descriptions of them.
Attachments
566A0449-AD26-4083-A5B4-B49A0ABABDCE.jpeg
566A0449-AD26-4083-A5B4-B49A0ABABDCE.jpeg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 4:28pm
Silent Majority wrote:
The very first picture on GIS looks like someone who learned to smile by listening to descriptions of them.
Hah
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Was just reading a review of an interesting looking new book by David Hepworth about the golden age of the LP which he claims was between 1967 and 1982. He suggests that by ‘82 vinyl was being usurped by the cassette and that bit I am curious about. My own experience was listening to cassettes for many years before graduating to vinyl so it was the other way round for me. Nor did the advent of the Walkman change that dynamic, because I tended to buy the LP in almost every case and then transfer to tape for the walkman. Maybe I am an anomaly in this regard, but that’s the way I always assumed it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 9:02am
Was just reading a review of an interesting looking new book by David Hepworth about the golden age of the LP which he claims was between 1967 and 1982. He suggests that by ‘82 vinyl was being usurped by the cassette and that bit I am curious about. My own experience was listening to cassettes for many years before graduating to vinyl so it was the other way round for me. Nor did the advent of the Walkman change that dynamic, because I tended to buy the LP in almost every case and then transfer to tape for the walkman. Maybe I am an anomaly in this regard, but that’s the way I always assumed it.
Yup, by the early 80s the Phillips cassette dominated sales for a lot of reasons. The Walkman and car stereos let people take their music with them. It was also easier for retailers to stock them because they didn't take up as much room. One constant about our relationship with music in the consumer era is that portability and individuality drives the technology. We want to pick what we want and we want to do be able to do it where we want. Whatever the superiority of vinyl over magnetic tape, it wasn't superior to portability.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 9:24am
Low Down Low wrote:
Yup, by the early 80s the Phillips cassette dominated sales for a lot of reasons. The Walkman and car stereos let people take their music with them. It was also easier for retailers to stock them because they didn't take up as much room. One constant about our relationship with music in the consumer era is that portability and individuality drives the technology. We want to pick what we want and we want to do be able to do it where we want. Whatever the superiority of vinyl over magnetic tape, it wasn't superior to portability.
Ah ok, fair enough. It’s just my own experience then. I don’t think I ever bought another cassette after I got my first record player, apart from clash ones for mere completist reasons. I bought blank tapes and often spent hours each day recording. But I guess that was analogous to the overall trend.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 9:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 9:24am
Low Down Low wrote:
Ah ok, fair enough. It’s just my own experience then. I don’t think I ever bought another cassette after I got my first record player, apart from clash ones for mere completist reasons. I bought blank tapes and often spent hours each day recording. But I guess that was analogous to the overall trend.
That was mostly what I did, too. Best of both worlds—records at home, blank cassettes with my albums outside. Even better, you could put two albums on most cassettes, so you were really maxing portability and efficiency. Kids today with their streaming and playlists—in our day, dammit, we had to plan and make real choices!