The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wolter wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 1:33pm
Well, I think I found Heston's birthday present.

http://www.armagideon-time.com/?p=11978
I'll pass on the English imitation crabmeat, thank you. My feet will go gangrene after stomping all over that jizz-soaked thing. :yuck:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Jesus Christ, King of kings, my Lord and Saviour, why hast thou implanted this horrible song in my brain?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 10:06am
Jesus Christ, King of kings, my Lord and Saviour, why hast thou implanted this horrible song in my brain?
They are really awful, aren't they? How dare they have a Mick Jones!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 11:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 10:06am
They are really awful, aren't they? How dare they have a Mick Jones!
And why didn't they have Terry?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

My greatest shame was when one day my friend brought in a 10-track budget Foreigner best of to the bar he was tending at happy hour, and I actually knew every song. It's like that shit got into my brain by osmosis.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 3:27pm
My greatest shame was when one day my friend brought in a 10-track budget Foreigner best of to the bar he was tending at happy hour, and I actually knew every song. It's like that shit got into my brain by osmosis.
That is pretty damned high on the list of personal shames.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 3:42pm
Wolter wrote:
I have literally never listened to Foreigner on purpose, yet I know TEN SONGS by them. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Wolter wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 11:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I have literally never listened to Foreigner on purpose, yet I know TEN SONGS by them. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
Hello,

There was a time (80's?) when you could not avoid them on FM radio. I know Foreigner but dislike them intensely - basically, they suck eggs. It's kind of like recognizing a cold sore - you know you have it, you don't know how you got it, but it's painful nonetheless.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

gkbill wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 12:06am
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Hello,

There was a time (80's?) when you could not avoid them on FM radio. I know Foreigner but dislike them intensely - basically, they suck eggs. It's kind of like recognizing a cold sore - you know you have it, you don't know how you got it, but it's painful nonetheless.
Yes. That's it exactly!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 1:25am
gkbill wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Hello,

Yes. That's it exactly!
I was going to say the same thing. It's not your fault, Wolt. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 10:15am
Wolter wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 1:25am
gkbill wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Yes. That's it exactly!
I was going to say the same thing. It's not your fault, Wolt. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.
One of the worst musical experiences of my life was falling asleep with the radio on, it must have been a talk show on some college station in NY and I woke up at like 2am hearing "I Want to Know What Love Is" loudly playing on my stereo. I can't recall what my induced mental state was at the time but I felt confused and physically paralyzed and didn't know how to turn the shit off it was frightening in a lot of ways and still haunts me 30 years later.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

All of this is why I look suspiciously at people from my generation who say they love 80s music. There is so much toxic sludge out there that I'm immediately wary.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 8:48pm
All of this is why I look suspiciously at people from my generation who say they love 80s music. There is so much toxic sludge out there that I'm immediately wary.
My two biggest problems with 80s (or really any other decade's) Nostalgia:

1. When it's applied to the whole decade like it's a monoculture. Treating the 80s like what was popular in 1981 is the exact same as 1987, like the audience for early rap, new wave, top 40 pop, and hard rock were the same people, or just sort of assuming "The 80s" was a static pop culture event that started on January 1, 1980 and ended on December 31, 1989. Replace these specifics with those of any other decade.

2. Ignoring the fact that even the best stuff that everyone remembers was part of a sea of forgettable to downright awful dreck. And even a lot of the "great" things people remember aren't so much great as something remembered fondly from a distance because it reminds us of a time when we were younger, thinner, happier or whatever. (I'm looking at you, 90s partisans looking to relieve your childhoods).

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 11:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

1. When it's applied to the whole decade like it's a monoculture. Treating the 80s like what was popular in 1981 is the exact same as 1987, like the audience for early rap, new wave, top 40 pop, and hard rock were the same people, or just sort of assuming "The 80s" was a static pop culture event that started on January 1, 1980 and ended on December 31, 1989. Replace these specifics with those of any other decade.

2. Ignoring the fact that even the best stuff that everyone remembers was part of a sea of forgettable to downright awful dreck. And even a lot of the "great" things people remember aren't so much great as something remembered fondly from a distance because it reminds us of a time when we were younger, thinner, happier or whatever. (I'm looking at you, 90s partisans looking to relieve your childhoods).
Precisely my feelings. Well said. And the '90s analogue is only the most recent of this dynamic (whereas the "60s & "70s" seem to have permanent and static positions in the popular cultural/musical zeitgeist, albeit for different reasons).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Apr 2017, 12:04am
Wolter wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 11:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Precisely my feelings. Well said. And the '90s analogue is only the most recent of this dynamic (whereas the "60s & "70s" seem to have permanent and static positions in the popular cultural/musical zeitgeist, albeit for different reasons).
But when people talk of the 70s or 70s music they aren't talking about 1979 the greatest year in the history of music.