Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 5:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 8:20pm
Watched that semi-recent documentary series about Lennon's murder over the last couple days. Informative to the degree that I really knew very little about the murder beyond the basics. My Beatles love never took me to that level of inquiry. That said, it was a bit flat in terms of impact. I came away feeling some empathy towards Chapman, a guy with an abusive childhood, and because of his guilty plea he was denied psychiatric treatment in prison. Plus he's spent most of his incarceration in isolation, largely to protect him from other prisoners.

Weird factoid: John Hinckley also had a copy of Catcher in the Rye when he shot Reagan. Huh.
I've got a copy. Yet I've only managed to shoot myself in the foot.
I remember reading CitR as a teenager and thinking, "This is supposed to be a big deal?"
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 5:45pm
I remember reading CitR as a teenager and thinking, "This is supposed to be a big deal?"
You said to yourself while attaching the scope to your rifle
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 5:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I thought I was going to be a big shot by killing one of the REO Speedwagons. :disshame:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 6:07pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I thought I was going to be a big shot by killing one of the REO Speedwagons. :disshame:
You should have gotten the one that needed hoy's help moving their couch.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You should have gotten the one that needed hoy's help moving their couch.
Robbing him of the only interesting story he's ever told?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I guess you just couldn't fight that feeling anymore!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 6:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I guess you just couldn't fight that feeling anymore!
I'd forgotten who I was lining up in the crosshairs anymore.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Watched that semi-recent documentary series about Lennon's murder over the last couple days. Informative to the degree that I really knew very little about the murder beyond the basics. My Beatles love never took me to that level of inquiry. That said, it was a bit flat in terms of impact. I came away feeling some empathy towards Chapman, a guy with an abusive childhood, and because of his guilty plea he was denied psychiatric treatment in prison. Plus he's spent most of his incarceration in isolation, largely to protect him from other prisoners.

Weird factoid: John Hinckley also had a copy of Catcher in the Rye when he shot Reagan. Huh.
I think it's still my favorite book. People think you're supposed to like or relate to Holden in some way so they wind up hating it, but if you just laugh at him the whole time, it's a really pleasant and funny read.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 8:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think it's still my favorite book. People think you're supposed to like or relate to Holden in some way so they wind up hating it, but if you just laugh at him the whole time, it's a really pleasant and funny read.
I imagine that's a very post-Boomer perspective.

(I remember listening to an Ann Coulter audiobook—I was curious!—and once I started pretending it was a parody of the bitter and impotent raging right, it was a lot of fun.)

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 8:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

And thus preparing you for posting here!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/ ... rday-lyric

There is something more poignant about "Yesterday" if it's more about the regret we feel about those who have passed, rather than a simple boo-hoo love song.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I can't remember what we were watching, maybe it was that McCartney thing he did with Rick Rubin, but the subject of Ringo's childhood was mentioned and man, did that dude have a rough start, but it was almost comical the way it was discussed. I think they said his childhood was almost something out of Charles Dickens: poverty, illness, etc. That said, it left me feeling good about Ringo, like good for him - he had this awful upbringing, but he did more than just a little okay for himself.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've walked past the Dakota several times and every time I've seen people posing for photos in the infamous entrance where Lennon was gunned down. Am I being too touchy, or does that feel weird to anyone else?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 10:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've walked past the Dakota several times and every time I've seen people posing for photos in the infamous entrance where Lennon was gunned down. Am I being too touchy, or does that feel weird to anyone else?
You only need to feel too touchy if the guy taking the photo has a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" sticking out of his pocket. Otherwise I would say stroll on by and don't worry.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia