The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 8941
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Inder » 27 Dec 2018, 7:00pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 5:57pm
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mcc ... spiration/

For the Inders of the world to mull over (whether in Kintyre or not).
Wild Life is great. Due for a Ram-esque resurrection.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 26419
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex » 23 Jan 2019, 3:11pm

I just discovered this: Engelbert Humperdinck, Bing Crosby, Gwen Verdon, Bobbie Gentry (!!!), and Dick Shawn performing a medley of Beatles tunes:


Unsurprisingly, the Bobbie Gentry moments are the best in the clip. The rest of it is... interesting. Enjoyably clueless or horrifying turgid will probably depend on your tolerance for such things.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 9120
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Kory » 23 Jan 2019, 3:40pm

Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 3:11pm
I just discovered this: Engelbert Humperdinck, Bing Crosby, Gwen Verdon, Bobbie Gentry (!!!), and Dick Shawn performing a medley of Beatles tunes:


Unsurprisingly, the Bobbie Gentry moments are the best in the clip. The rest of it is... interesting. Enjoyably clueless or horrifying turgid will probably depend on your tolerance for such things.
My tolerance is very
Image
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1777
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by WestwayKid » 23 Jan 2019, 3:46pm

Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 3:11pm
I just discovered this: Engelbert Humperdinck, Bing Crosby, Gwen Verdon, Bobbie Gentry (!!!), and Dick Shawn performing a medley of Beatles tunes:


Unsurprisingly, the Bobbie Gentry moments are the best in the clip. The rest of it is... interesting. Enjoyably clueless or horrifying turgid will probably depend on your tolerance for such things.
Didn't Humperdinck's schlocky "Release Me" keep "Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane" from hitting #1 in the UK?
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 78255
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Jan 2019, 4:02pm

I was skeptical that something could be worse than the Sgt. Pepper movie versions, but I think this outdid them.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 39019
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread » 23 Jan 2019, 4:34pm

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 3:46pm
Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 3:11pm
I just discovered this: Engelbert Humperdinck, Bing Crosby, Gwen Verdon, Bobbie Gentry (!!!), and Dick Shawn performing a medley of Beatles tunes:


Unsurprisingly, the Bobbie Gentry moments are the best in the clip. The rest of it is... interesting. Enjoyably clueless or horrifying turgid will probably depend on your tolerance for such things.
Didn't Humperdinck's schlocky "Release Me" keep "Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane" from hitting #1 in the UK?
This is true. No 2 in the UK and No 8 in the US. Think it hit No 1 in 6 other countries.
Image

coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 766
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by coffeepotman » 27 Jan 2019, 8:47am

For some strange reason I'm not thinking of a Beatles song right now

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 39019
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread » 27 Jan 2019, 9:02am

coffeepotman wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 8:47am
For some strange reason I'm not thinking of a Beatles song right now
:lol:
Image

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1777
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by WestwayKid » 31 Jan 2019, 3:03pm

Is "Long, Long, Long" Harrison's finest moment as a member of the Beatles? It's a really good song. The production is wonderful - love how Ringo's drum fills go from sounding gigantic to sounding very gentle and back again. The sound of the wine bottle vibrating on the speaker at the end is perfect and George's vocal is pretty breathtaking: wearing, resigned, hopeful. Sounds especially good in mono.
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 78255
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Jan 2019, 3:45pm

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 3:03pm
Is "Long, Long, Long" Harrison's finest moment as a member of the Beatles? It's a really good song. The production is wonderful - love how Ringo's drum fills go from sounding gigantic to sounding very gentle and back again. The sound of the wine bottle vibrating on the speaker at the end is perfect and George's vocal is pretty breathtaking: wearing, resigned, hopeful. Sounds especially good in mono.
I lean towards "Here Comes the Sun," especially in the context of the band's collapse. There's still that hope there—it's all gonna be okay.

About a week ago, I was listening to the new edition of the White Album. I've never been that taken by "While My Guitar …"—never hated it, but never regarded it as all that special—but it really caught me ear this time. The entire album did for that matter, but that song especially grabbed me for being so, I don't know, penetrating? Intense?
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28263
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Heston » 31 Jan 2019, 4:02pm

It wasn't produced or realised very well, but my favourite George Beatles song is "It's All Too Much."
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1777
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by WestwayKid » 31 Jan 2019, 4:05pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 3:45pm
WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 3:03pm
Is "Long, Long, Long" Harrison's finest moment as a member of the Beatles? It's a really good song. The production is wonderful - love how Ringo's drum fills go from sounding gigantic to sounding very gentle and back again. The sound of the wine bottle vibrating on the speaker at the end is perfect and George's vocal is pretty breathtaking: wearing, resigned, hopeful. Sounds especially good in mono.
I lean towards "Here Comes the Sun," especially in the context of the band's collapse. There's still that hope there—it's all gonna be okay.

About a week ago, I was listening to the new edition of the White Album. I've never been that taken by "While My Guitar …"—never hated it, but never regarded it as all that special—but it really caught me ear this time. The entire album did for that matter, but that song especially grabbed me for being so, I don't know, penetrating? Intense?
The new remaster sounds pretty darned fantastic. It's a good song - and I think there was a lot of interesting sonic detail that had been buried. Listening to a mono vinyl rip of the song as I type this and it sound fantastic. There is a lot going on in the mix of that song - lots of different sounds.

I remember the first time I heard the White Album. I was maybe 12. My dad who was born in 1950 grew up with the Beatles - but he'd lost interest after Pepper - so I had all of their albums up through that one as part of my musical education and then I heard the White Album and my mind was blown. It was so weird and wonderful and insane and catchy. That first listen was one of the best musical moments of my life.
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1777
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by WestwayKid » 31 Jan 2019, 4:06pm

Heston wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 4:02pm
It wasn't produced or realised very well, but my favourite George Beatles song is "It's All Too Much."
That is a good one - but yeah - I agree on the production. A bit muddy. That being said - there is some really cool stuff going on in that track. Ringo's drumming is great. The guitar playing from both Lennon and Harrison is great. They're both playing Epiphone Casinos, I believe.
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 78255
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Jan 2019, 4:22pm

Heston wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 4:02pm
It wasn't produced or realised very well, but my favourite George Beatles song is "It's All Too Much."
The Stone Roses would have killed to have written that song. I love it, but, yeah, the right word is unrealized.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 78255
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Jan 2019, 4:24pm

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 4:05pm
I remember the first time I heard the White Album. I was maybe 12. My dad who was born in 1950 grew up with the Beatles - but he'd lost interest after Pepper - so I had all of their albums up through that one as part of my musical education and then I heard the White Album and my mind was blown. It was so weird and wonderful and insane and catchy. That first listen was one of the best musical moments of my life.
The first Beatles lp's I heard were the Red and Blue compilations (before that, my sisters had their earliest 45's, which I heard when I was about 8), but the first proper one was the White Album. It's a beautiful mess, with no unifying theme other than contradiction and divergent paths.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 13 guests