Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:Oh, and the live version of "Folsom Prison Blues" from San Quentin with Carl Perkins on guitar.
Pretty much every version song from the San Quentin album is better than the original studio recordings, yeah?

"No Feelings" from Spunk is superior to the NMTB version. Actually, like SQ, most (but not all) the tracks from Spunk are superior to NMTB.

The Return the Gift version of I Love a Man in Uniform blows the original out of the water (although I actually enjoy the original too).

The extended mix of the Bottom Line beats out the original, imho.

If we add remixes in too, that opens up a whole 'nother ballgame. Would have to add in Crystal Castles' remix of Health's Crimewave and, of course, Fingerpoppin' (AOR Mix) - no fade in.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:"No Feelings" from Spunk is superior to the NMTB version. Actually, like SQ, most (but not all) the tracks from Spunk are superior to NMTB.
Oh yeah, definitely. Is the "Pied Piper" version of "Anarchy" on Spunk? I know it's on Swindle, but that's my favourite version of AitUK.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:The Peel Session version of Bed and Breakfast Man by Madness tramples on the LP version.
Yes, and the Flexipop My Girl and live Bed and Breakfast Man which I think was on Dance Craze.

I'd also say The Jam's version of Taxman.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Thinking about it, live versions by the same band compared to studio shouldn't be included as more often than not that is the case.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Peel Sessions version of "At Home He's a Tourist" is miles better than the one on Entertainment!—Dave Allen's bass is much more prominent in the mix. Also in Peel terrain, both "Practice Makes Perfect" and "I Am the Fly" are better than the Chair Missing versions. Not to disparage Mike Thorne's contributions, but by the second album Wire knew how to record themselves better than others.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Wolter wrote:Oh, and the live version of "Folsom Prison Blues" from San Quentin with Carl Perkins on guitar.
I love Cash's hoarse, ragged, and out of tune imitations of a train whistle and the guitar riff.

The BBC sessions version of "Substitute" is better than the single. Much faster and all electric. Townshend played it on a tele too. All of Live at Leeds is better than the originals too.

I find "We've Got A Bigger Problem Now" is a lot more menacing. With nastier guitar and vocals than "California Uber Alles". Except for the lounge jazz bits.

The versions of "On the Outside" and "Only A Lad" from Boingo Alive are better than the versions from the album "Only A Lad. Louder guitar and much faster. Though I seem to be the only person really into Oingo Boingo around here.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dare I mention Rachid Taha's Rock The Casbah ??? the dust has just setlled on the last occassion although if I remember it was a rare 10Wolt

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:Dare I mention Rachid Taha's Rock The Casbah ??? the dust has just setlled on the last occassion although if I remember it was a rare 10Wolt
I really like that version, not sure if it really fits for the exercise tho (I think of it as a cover rather than an alternate take/mix).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

101Walterton wrote:Thinking about it, live versions by the same band compared to studio shouldn't be included as more often than not that is the case.
Yeah, live versions make this question too easy unless they're significantly different.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
101Walterton wrote:Dare I mention Rachid Taha's Rock The Casbah ??? the dust has just setlled on the last occassion although if I remember it was a rare 10Wolt
I really like that version, not sure if it really fits for the exercise tho (I think of it as a cover rather than an alternate take/mix).
Agreed, but it was indeed a 101Wolt.

I agree on the whole about SQ, but Folsom being a "classic" was one of the most noticable.

And I agree 10000% percent about "I Love a Man In Uniform."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Capital Radio Two

simo
Long Time Jerk

Post by simo »

I don't know what mixes they are, but I have two versions of "What Difference Does It Make?" by the Smiths. One (I think it's the one on the album) has a great instrumental portion to that rocks, but the one on my "Sound of the Smiths" CD just fades out. I think the latter might be a Peel session or something.

wmhp
Junco Partner

Post by wmhp »

Solitary Confinement by the Members on Stiff is better than on virgin. I know this is back to front but i think the virgin one is more widely known/popular

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I like the Stop Making Sense version of Psycho Killer better than the version on Talking Heads 77, though I don't really consider SMS a live album.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:I like the Stop Making Sense version of Psycho Killer better than the version on Talking Heads 77
Whoa. That's crazy talk.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"