Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

General music discussion.
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28263
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Heston » 04 Jun 2010, 7:24pm

tepista wrote:I like that little piano bit in the studio version of IWYTWM
It's probably present in the live version, but is overpowered by roaring Gibsons and orgasmic Japanese chicks.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50723
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Wolter » 04 Jun 2010, 7:25pm

Heston wrote:
tepista wrote:I like that little piano bit in the studio version of IWYTWM
It's probably present in the live version, but is overpowered by roaring Gibsons and orgasmic Japanese chicks.
So it's the perfect union of GEER and Shibuya? :shifty:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1825
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by laxman » 05 Jun 2010, 7:05am

I like the alternative version of Pressure Drop on DOA. And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.

CorwoodRep
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6319
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 2:39am

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by CorwoodRep » 05 Jun 2010, 8:32pm

laxman wrote:And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 39019
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Jun 2010, 12:54am

Billy Joel wrote:
laxman wrote:And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
I don't I like 'em both and always felt it was a well underrated song in the first place. It has got loads of stick over the years and this appears to be down to the band saying how fucked off they were by it's release and people reading into that too deep thinking the band hated the track. They obviously didn't as the Vanilla take shows.
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50723
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Wolter » 06 Jun 2010, 1:03am

Marky Dread wrote:
Billy Joel wrote:
laxman wrote:And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
I don't I like 'em both and always felt it was a well underrated song in the first place. It has got loads of stick over the years and this appears to be down to the band saying how fucked off they were by it's release and people reading into that too deep thinking the band hated the track. They obviously didn't as the Vanilla take shows.
I never thought it was that bad a track. I think the fact that it was an album track released as a single (i.e., no value for the money) is what got it a bad rap...it's a pretty damn good song.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 26419
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Flex » 06 Jun 2010, 1:32am

Remote Control is a good song. I like both versions. I really like the lyrics.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

CorwoodRep
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6319
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 2:39am

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by CorwoodRep » 06 Jun 2010, 1:44am

I think Remote Control is awesome and I have no problem with it. But the Vanilla Tapes version basically poses the question "What if this song was on GEER?" The answer to which is it would have kicked way more fucking ass.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 39019
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Jun 2010, 8:39am

Billy Joel wrote:I think Remote Control is awesome and I have no problem with it. But the Vanilla Tapes version basically poses the question "What if this song was on GEER?" The answer to which is it would have kicked way more fucking ass.
Could be said about a few other tracks also but I wouldn't want them on GEER. Maybe The Clash should've had a proper producer instead of soundman Mickey Foote, but it captures the times.
Image

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1825
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by laxman » 06 Jun 2010, 10:35am

Marky Dread wrote:
Billy Joel wrote:
laxman wrote:And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
I don't I like 'em both and always felt it was a well underrated song in the first place. It has got loads of stick over the years and this appears to be down to the band saying how fucked off they were by it's release and people reading into that too deep thinking the band hated the track. They obviously didn't as the Vanilla take shows.
I don't dislike the original (or any Clash song, if I'm being honest). In a similar vein, I like the 1977 instrumental from the Pier 84 soundcheck.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 39019
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Jun 2010, 11:06am

laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Billy Joel wrote:
laxman wrote:And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
I don't I like 'em both and always felt it was a well underrated song in the first place. It has got loads of stick over the years and this appears to be down to the band saying how fucked off they were by it's release and people reading into that too deep thinking the band hated the track. They obviously didn't as the Vanilla take shows.
I don't dislike the original (or any Clash song, if I'm being honest). In a similar vein, I like the 1977 instrumental from the Pier 84 soundcheck.
Yeah I always liked that one too.
Image

jvfatguy
Corner Soul
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 Nov 2011, 3:07pm

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by jvfatguy » 21 Nov 2011, 3:26pm

I think this version of the Bottom Line (Original UK 12" Mix, 8:45) is the best version of this song and maybe the best BAD song of all time. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find (not on CD, in iTunes, Amazon MP3, not on the recent Legacy album, etc) and until recently, was not even on Youtube. So, I just uploaded it to Youtube over the weekend. Way better than the US Rick Rubin vesion, has much more energy, and, of course, includes the "Part 2" portion of the song that makes this version what I consider the "full version" of the song. The album version seems more like an appetizer compared to the full entree...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k4xhvCmyTc

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28263
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Heston » 21 Nov 2011, 4:06pm

jvfatguy wrote:I think this version of the Bottom Line (Original UK 12" Mix, 8:45) is the best version of this song and maybe the best BAD song of all time. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find (not on CD, in iTunes, Amazon MP3, not on the recent Legacy album, etc) and until recently, was not even on Youtube. So, I just uploaded it to Youtube over the weekend. Way better than the US Rick Rubin vesion, has much more energy, and, of course, includes the "Part 2" portion of the song that makes this version what I consider the "full version" of the song. The album version seems more like an appetizer compared to the full entree...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k4xhvCmyTc
Yeah, I think that's the best version too. I used to have the 12", but didn't hear it for years until I downloaded the "Bad Files" from the old version of this board in 2003.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28263
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Heston » 21 Nov 2011, 4:08pm

Kaleb wrote:
laxman wrote:And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
I don't get the fuss about the Vanilla version of Remote Control. It just sounds like a lazy jam with fucked up lyrics and solos.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 16863
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by 101Walterton » 21 Nov 2011, 4:25pm

Heston wrote:
Kaleb wrote:
laxman wrote:And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
I don't get the fuss about the Vanilla version of Remote Control. It just sounds like a lazy jam with fucked up lyrics and solos.
I think it is just hearing a 'new' version gives it a novelty effect when the old version is so ingrained in you plus the sound is refreshing.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests