The Black Flag Thread

General music discussion.
Post Reply
eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23268
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

The Black Flag Thread

Post by eumaas » 02 Jul 2010, 11:47pm

Which is better: Live 84 or Who's Got the 10 1/2?
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15353
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 03 Jul 2010, 12:04am

This picture needs to be stickied to every thread:
Image
Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 26395
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Flex » 03 Jul 2010, 12:11am

eumaas wrote:Which is better: Live 84 or Who's Got the 10 1/2?
Probably Who's Got the 10 1/2?, but I enjoy both immensely.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Still216
User avatar
Hoy Without The Hoy
Posts: 1893
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 2:08pm
Location: At least it's not Detroit

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Still216 » 03 Jul 2010, 8:24am

Flex wrote:
eumaas wrote:Which is better: Live 84 or Who's Got the 10 1/2?
Probably Who's Got the 10 1/2?, but I enjoy both immensely.
Who's Got The 10.5. I love the Loose Nut and In My Head albums, and they kicked the hell out of those songs on there.

I remember reading the playlist for Live 84 before I heard it and getting damn excited, but heard it and was kinda let down. Sounded like the band was disconnected ala Lochem. I don't get that sense for a second from 10 1/2.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23268
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by eumaas » 03 Jul 2010, 9:14am

Still216 wrote:
Flex wrote:
eumaas wrote:Which is better: Live 84 or Who's Got the 10 1/2?
Probably Who's Got the 10 1/2?, but I enjoy both immensely.
Who's Got The 10.5. I love the Loose Nut and In My Head albums, and they kicked the hell out of those songs on there.

I remember reading the playlist for Live 84 before I heard it and getting damn excited, but heard it and was kinda let down. Sounded like the band was disconnected ala Lochem. I don't get that sense for a second from 10 1/2.
The bolded: me too.

I've actually never heard Who's Got, though I have heard Live 84.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Still216
User avatar
Hoy Without The Hoy
Posts: 1893
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 2:08pm
Location: At least it's not Detroit

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Still216 » 03 Jul 2010, 11:27am

Damn. Minor Threat Radio on Pandora is currently playing My War off 10 1/2. THIS is what I'm talking about. Rollins comes out of the "if I had a gun..." bridge as scary-sounding as I've ever heard him.

Edit: "YES!!! ANNIHILATE! YES! ANNIHILATE! YES! DESTROY!!! (incoherent).....Thank you" - Rollins
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50711
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Wolter » 03 Jul 2010, 11:48am

Still216 wrote:Damn. Minor Threat Radio on Pandora is currently playing My War off 10 1/2. THIS is what I'm talking about. Rollins comes out of the "if I had a gun..." bridge as scary-sounding as I've ever heard him.

Edit: "YES!!! ANNIHILATE! YES! ANNIHILATE! YES! DESTROY!!! (incoherent).....Thank you" - Rollins
I just realized I don't own 10 1/2.

WHAT THE HELL?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50711
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Wolter » 03 Jul 2010, 11:51am

Wolter wrote:
Still216 wrote:Damn. Minor Threat Radio on Pandora is currently playing My War off 10 1/2. THIS is what I'm talking about. Rollins comes out of the "if I had a gun..." bridge as scary-sounding as I've ever heard him.

Edit: "YES!!! ANNIHILATE! YES! ANNIHILATE! YES! DESTROY!!! (incoherent).....Thank you" - Rollins
I just realized I don't own 10 1/2.

WHAT THE HELL?
Problem rectified.

THANKS, INTERNET!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Still216
User avatar
Hoy Without The Hoy
Posts: 1893
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 2:08pm
Location: At least it's not Detroit

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Still216 » 03 Jul 2010, 11:56am

Wolter wrote: THANKS, INTERNET!
You just took food out of the mouths of one of Greg Ginn's 872 cats. Hope you're proud of yourself...
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50711
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Wolter » 03 Jul 2010, 11:57am

I'm a little to busy to do so now, but I'm totally busting out BLACK FLAG WEEK at work next week. Woe betide those that contradict me.

And yes, I am proud of myself. Maybe if the fucker would remaster some shit, he'd get my ducats.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Still216
User avatar
Hoy Without The Hoy
Posts: 1893
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 2:08pm
Location: At least it's not Detroit

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Still216 » 03 Jul 2010, 12:07pm

Wolter wrote:I'm a little to busy to do so now, but I'm totally busting out BLACK FLAG WEEK at work next week. Woe betide those that contradict me.

And yes, I am proud of myself. Maybe if the fucker would remaster some shit, he'd get my ducats.
Yeah, he completely missed the boat on updating and remastering those 1989 barely-audible CD issues of the SST catalog. Pity he's a good five years too late to make any real money off of it now.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 26395
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Flex » 03 Jul 2010, 12:13pm

Still216 wrote:
Wolter wrote:I'm a little to busy to do so now, but I'm totally busting out BLACK FLAG WEEK at work next week. Woe betide those that contradict me.

And yes, I am proud of myself. Maybe if the fucker would remaster some shit, he'd get my ducats.
Yeah, he completely missed the boat on updating and remastering those 1989 barely-audible CD issues of the SST catalog. Pity he's a good five years too late to make any real money off of it now.
SST is basically a joke, unfortunately. We mostly just have to hold out hopes that more and more bands will sue to get the rights to their catalog back and get their stuff put out on a label that gives a damn. Unfortunately, for obvious reasons this isn't like to happen with Flag.

Anyhow, I shall join Wolter in making next week BLACK FLAG WEEK, but this weekend I need to listen to a lot of Outlaw Country and American Oi.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23268
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by eumaas » 03 Jul 2010, 12:14pm

Still216 wrote:
Wolter wrote:I'm a little to busy to do so now, but I'm totally busting out BLACK FLAG WEEK at work next week. Woe betide those that contradict me.

And yes, I am proud of myself. Maybe if the fucker would remaster some shit, he'd get my ducats.
Yeah, he completely missed the boat on updating and remastering those 1989 barely-audible CD issues of the SST catalog. Pity he's a good five years too late to make any real money off of it now.
Was just considering picking up my missing holes (I have Damaged in LP, First Four, Loose Nut, and In My Head in CD--and that's it). Holy shit are they expensive, even the used copies on Amazon. I'll probably just grab 10 1/2 and continue to wait on the others (as usual). A dude was going to send me his Flag CDs once but never got around to it.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23268
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by eumaas » 03 Jul 2010, 12:25pm

I love how morons scoff at Black Flag in FLAC by saying the original has terrible quality. Hey idiots: if you take something that's terrible, then put it through a process that makes it more terrible, what do you get? SOMETHING WORSE THAN TERRIBLE!
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Still216
User avatar
Hoy Without The Hoy
Posts: 1893
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 2:08pm
Location: At least it's not Detroit

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Still216 » 03 Jul 2010, 12:31pm

eumaas wrote: Was just considering picking up my missing holes (I have Damaged in LP, First Four, Loose Nut, and In My Head in CD--and that's it). Holy shit are they expensive, even the used copies on Amazon. I'll probably just grab 10 1/2 and continue to wait on the others (as usual). A dude was going to send me his Flag CDs once but never got around to it.
If I had to choose four Flag CDs, those would be the four.

I have all of their albums and the NB 7" on vinyl, but all my CDs (except Damaged, Process Of Weeding Out, and 10 1/2) are CDR burns from the old unixpunx ftp site with kinda low bitrate. Should probably get those upgraded - my turntable needs a new stylus, and shitty CD masters at 128k mp3 might subconsciously turn me against the band.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gkbill and 16 guests