The Black Flag Thread

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by Wolter »

Oy, Greg. Oy.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

What a fuckin crybaby.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Ain't nothin' Punker than lawsuits.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Remember when we were sixteen and thought that there was a significant ideological component to punk that was wholly different to the rest of rock orthodoxy?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Remember when we were sixteen and thought that there was a significant ideological component to punk that was wholly different to the rest of rock orthodoxy?
We were so fucking stupid. Especially Flex.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Didn't Ginn majorly screw over Husker Du as well?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Remember when we were sixteen and thought that there was a significant ideological component to punk that was wholly different to the rest of rock orthodoxy?
True.

I truly regret not working harder to produce my idea for a "Cat Music For Cat People" series of compilation LPs to benefit feral cats.

I could have been part of the solution, rather than part of the problem. :shifty:
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

JennyB wrote:Didn't Ginn majorly screw over Husker Du as well?
In as much as they were an SST band, yes. But it also sounds like Husker Du had internal that didn't help them in that Hart and Mould bickered ferociously over credits...

I think that may have been smoothed over now. Stay tuned!

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I gotta say seeing Ginn make an ass out of himself at the same time Maxwell's shuts its doors really gives me a good schadenfreude fix. If I were to point to the two vectors in which the virus that killed rock and roll forever it would Maxwell's and SST. Both took all of the danger, sex and mystery out of rock and replaced it with a bunch of ugly dweebs who played for shit. Ginn ruined an entire generation of guitarists. And grunge is his fault too.

Those scenes were militantly anti-Clash too. Don't let anyone tell you different.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

IkarisOne wrote:I gotta say seeing Ginn make an ass out of himself at the same time Maxwell's shuts its doors really gives me a good schadenfreude fix. If I were to point to the two vectors in which the virus that killed rock and roll forever it would Maxwell's and SST. Both took all of the danger, sex and mystery out of rock and replaced it with a bunch of ugly dweebs who played for shit. Ginn ruined an entire generation of guitarists. And grunge is his fault too.

Those scenes were militantly anti-Clash too. Don't let anyone tell you different.
I'll go out on a limb here and guess you're not a fan of Yo La Tengo or The Feelies...
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

JoseUnidos wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:I gotta say seeing Ginn make an ass out of himself at the same time Maxwell's shuts its doors really gives me a good schadenfreude fix. If I were to point to the two vectors in which the virus that killed rock and roll forever it would Maxwell's and SST. Both took all of the danger, sex and mystery out of rock and replaced it with a bunch of ugly dweebs who played for shit. Ginn ruined an entire generation of guitarists. And grunge is his fault too.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess you're not a fan of Yo La Tengo or The Feelies...
No, I was never a cashier in a record store.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

That is an awesome put-down.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

IkarisOne wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:

No, I was never a cashier in a record store.
Kaleb wrote:That is an awesome put-down.
Completely and Utterly.

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

The plot thickens... From the Black Flag website/Greg Ginn:

"The dispute over Black Flag is not motivated by an effort to stop anyone from covering Black Flag songs. Quite to the contrary. Henry Garfield (Rollins) and Keith Morris made an effort to hijack the name for their own use. Behind everyone’s back Garfield and Morris last year filed a fraudulent trademark application in which they are claiming to own the name. Had we not taken action, this pair could have snuck this false application through enabling them to stop Black Flag from playing and use of the name for themselves."

– Black Flag

Fishy stuff going on. If this isn't about stopping anyone from covering Black Flag songs and is about Rollins and Morris trying to file ownership of the trademark, then why are they going after Chuck, Bill, Dez, and Steve.

Did Ginn only reunite his version of Flag after Rollins and Morris filed their claim in order to show that he is still using the Black Flag name?

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

modskin wrote: Did Ginn only reunite his version of Flag after Rollins and Morris filed their claim in order to show that he is still using the Black Flag name?
Interesting point.

Whatever the case may be, I bet Henry and Keith have something personal against Ginn to do that originally.