Hey, remember Rancid?

General music discussion.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by tepista »

Heston wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 7:26pm
"Wolves" is probably one of the greatest albums ever made even though it's 5 songs too long.
hespista
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

by the time Alleyways and Avenues comes on I'm fucking exhausted (cuz it's a jump around record for sure) I don't think I've listend in its entirety for a few years now. Next time I get drunk, I should write myself a note
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 11:47pm
Heston wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 7:26pm
"Wolves" is probably one of the greatest albums ever made even though it's 5 songs too long.
hespista
This is a great and probably their greatest album. I need to listen to it more.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
07 Dec 2012, 12:28pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:(1993) Rancid - 34.05
(1994) Let's Go - 44.13
(1995) ...And Out Come The Wolves - 49.39
(1998) Life Won't Wait - 64.00
(2000) Rancid - 38.24
(2003) Indestructible - 51.24
(2009) Let The Dominoes Falls - 46.16

Only two of their 7 albums are particularly long.
Yeah, but they've each got about 116 songs on.

Shorts songs require shorter albums.
So the argument is really about quality control over songs Vs length of album?
It depends on the album for me. I like or love all the songs on "...Wolves" except for "Maxwell Murder", but you start feeling worn down after half an hour.

On the other hand, Life Won't Wait is a more diverse album, making it an easier listen in one sitting, but contains too much filler.
WHAT
Hey Kory, is the bass solo on MM any good? I was listening the other day and it just sounds like 8th notes (? depending on how you count them) that venture in and out of key.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 10:02am
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

It depends on the album for me. I like or love all the songs on "...Wolves" except for "Maxwell Murder", but you start feeling worn down after half an hour.

On the other hand, Life Won't Wait is a more diverse album, making it an easier listen in one sitting, but contains too much filler.
WHAT
Hey Kory, is the bass solo on MM any good? I was listening the other day and it just sounds like 8th notes (? depending on how you count them) that venture in and out of key.
I dig it.

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 10:11am
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

WHAT
I dig it.
I like it because it's not common in this genre. I just don't think I'd hold up to stuff that's technically more challenging or musically better. Just curious if I'm offbase on this from an actual bass player.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 10:33am
revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 10:11am
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

WHAT
I dig it.
I like it because it's not common in this genre. I just don't think I'd hold up to stuff that's technically more challenging or musically better. Just curious if I'm offbase on this from an actual bass player.
Yeah as a non-musician Im able to just say, that sounds cool and leave it at that

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

WHAT
Yeah for sure. It's not as technically demanding as a Victor Wooten solo, but especially for punk rock it's pretty tricky because there's some string switching stuff, and staying solid at that speed is hard when you're jumping strings like that. As evidenced by the fact that nobody on YouTube can play it perfectly. I suppose it would be more impressive if Matt Freeman played fingerstyle rather than with a pick, but it's still not an easy thing to play.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 1:40pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

WHAT
Yeah for sure. It's not as technically demanding as a Victor Wooten solo, but especially for punk rock it's pretty tricky because there's some string switching stuff, and staying solid at that speed is hard when you're jumping strings like that. As evidenced by the fact that nobody on YouTube can play it perfectly. I suppose it would be more impressive if Matt Freeman played fingerstyle rather than with a pick, but it's still not an easy thing to play.
Cool feedback, thanks. I spent some time watching some live versions that extend the solo a bit and he does move around the strings quite a bit.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

WHAT
Yeah, it's tough.

Go to YouTube and search for "maxwell murder bass cover" and you'll see.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Spiff wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 2:19pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

WHAT
Yeah, it's tough.

Go to YouTube and search for "maxwell murder bass cover" and you'll see.
Usually they start off ok, but they lose their timing toward the 3rd quarter of it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

MM is the only song on this fantastic album I don't like. Opening the album with it was insane.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 2:55pm
MM is the only song on this fantastic album I don't like. Opening the album with it was insane.
It's not as bad as I once thought. But you're correct mate it's no album opener. I got the reissue a little while back and both of the two bonus tracks are better.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »