The KISS thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The KISS thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So that's what Gene really looks like …
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/october- ... -1.4343371
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 6:54am
So that's what Gene really looks like …
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/october- ... -1.4343371
It all makes sense now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Get down with the Abe!

Everythang gonna be funky from now on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dime a Dozen just posted a "Gene Simmons Band" show that had the following description/warning:
Wow! What a show this was! I recorded from maybe the fourth row of the lower balcony, although we were comped to wherever we wanted to sit in the balcony, as it was severely underattended. Since there was nobody in the rows in the entire section next to us, I was able to put my recorder on the railing over the last row, about 10 feet away from me and my friends, which was a smart idea. Whenever me and this particular friend go to shows, it's similar to if Statler and Waldorf attended loud shows. I have a few recordings that I refuse to share, as a result of us. I didn't want this one to suffer the same fate, so I put the recorder far away from us. So, the show starts. Before the vocals on "Deuce" kick in, Gene makes the band stop. He proceeds to call the lighting guy a bitch, multiple times, and complains at him until he gets it to Gene's liking. He calls out the soundman for doing a bad job, he says negative things about unions, he gives two of the staff members shit for talking during his set. As for the sound of the show, my recording should be ideal, although the mix was terrible. Gene's vocals and bass were cranked louder than everything else. Whenever a guitar solo would start, you could hardly hear it, until the solo was halfway done. In some cases, they boosted the wrong guitar during the solos, cranking the rhythm guitars and drowning out the solo completely. You can hear the volumes of instruments getting louder and softer at random. Whatever - he was still playing cool songs, and it wasn't so bad. Until he brings out a 13 year old kid to play "She." Gene keeps the kid onstage for the next four songs, and spends a ton of time chatting with him. This was getting to be a bit much, when out comes some city representative (evidently, not even one for Providence), to present Gene with a key to the city (which city nobody's exactly sure). The guy starts giving a long winded speech, when my friend couldn't take it anymore, and started yelling at Gene. "Play some KISS songs PLEASE!" "Shut up and play yer guitar!" "Ace is way better than this!" Gene gets angry, gets security to remove my friend, while Gene makes his way through the room. My friend's girlfriend and I decided we better go see what's up. I exit the room, and Gene's facing my friend, telling him that he wants his fist to meet his face. Gene actually attempts to remove my friend's glasses, they banter a little, Gene turns and goes back to his show - we leave. It was pretty awesome - that is easily the closest I've ever been to Gene Simmons - he was a few feet away, trying to get my friend to take the first swing. You can hear all of this in the recording. Unfortunately, Gene waited until we left to play "Radioactive," "Goin' Blind," "Domino," and "Rock and Roll All Night." I apologize for not having those songs recorded - I know there's at least one youtube source for the whole show.

For whatever you think of how that all went down, I really had the feeling Gene was being a pissy diva all night, bitching about the people who were working for him, and I felt like he was fucking with us, due to the low turnout and unsatisfactory workers. I love KISS - I will listen to them forever. I don't think Gene's getting any more of my $, though. He says a lot of things throughout the recording that back up everything negative I've heard about the guy. And, honestly, in the middle of a show, do you really need to be presented with the key to a city you'll almost never go to? They should've done that nonsense before or after the show. Some bands (NOFX is a good example) can banter all night onstage, and it's fine, because they're funny. This wasn't funny. While I wouldn't have done what my friend did, he kind of had a good point.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 10:34am
The Devil: Okay, who's next?
Mike Love: What'd that last guy ask for …?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 10:34am
And still the devil gets the short end of the stick.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news- ... s-for-life

So, so much idiocy in this story, even for Gene Simmons, but I'll just note that he puts forth the "men can't help themselves cos of biology" defence (while saying he's not defending it). Don't blame me, blame the testosterone!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'm yes Kiss man tonight for good

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 7:31am
Inevitability comes knocking: https://www.avclub.com/gene-simmons-is- ... 1821360044
Was "Sexual Battery" not a KISS song?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 9:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 7:31am
Inevitability comes knocking: https://www.avclub.com/gene-simmons-is- ... 1821360044
Was "Sexual Battery" not a KISS song?
An unfathomable omission if it's not.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The comments as always are a lot of fun.

Heston

Post by Heston »

MTV Unplugged, this was more important than the Nirvana performance as it reunited the spark for the glorious regformation that lay ahead...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Unfortunately, the microphones and recording equipment weren't unplugged. God, what a shit sundae.