The KISS thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The KISS thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
14 May 2018, 11:24am
Sober post for a change. I'm a member of a punk group on Facebook and I had a wry chuckle when I saw someone post this today...
Do you like KISS? I teach guitar and had a student attend for years and he has brought their songs to learn. Recently I challenged him to learn the entire catalog in order from the earliest to the latest. I'm really getting into Parasite and some of the early songs. They sound very garage and punk to me but well played with a lot of attitude. I'm surprised how much I enjoy the band. Anybody else here infected?
No one ever said punks didn't have a bunch of bozos in their number.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2018, 12:01pm
Heston wrote:
14 May 2018, 11:24am
Sober post for a change. I'm a member of a punk group on Facebook and I had a wry chuckle when I saw someone post this today...
Do you like KISS? I teach guitar and had a student attend for years and he has brought their songs to learn. Recently I challenged him to learn the entire catalog in order from the earliest to the latest. I'm really getting into Parasite and some of the early songs. They sound very garage and punk to me but well played with a lot of attitude. I'm surprised how much I enjoy the band. Anybody else here infected?
No one ever said punks didn't have a bunch of bozos in their number.
The keyword here is “infected.”

Though, as the Replacements have proven, if you play the songs far better than KISS did, they turn out ok.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

THE FIRE-BREATHING BEATLES
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 8:07pm
THE FIRE-BREATHING BEATLES
Let's see: the geezer's wearing a Beatles shirt first, then a KISS shirt. Also has a northern accent. Hmmm...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Prime suspects have to be Eric Singer or his mom.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

My flight from Oakland came back too soon to see Ace play a solo show...on a Monday night...in some dive hole in Berkeley. It was advertised on a telephone pole above a tranny XXX peepshow flyer...top billing!!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 8:28pm
My flight from Oakland came back too soon to see Ace play a solo show...on a Monday night...in some dive hole in Berkeley. It was advertised on a telephone pole above a tranny XXX peepshow flyer...top billing!!!
That was no tranny; that was a Heston.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I rewatched that documentary on the Kiss or Kill scene this morning, taking notes and coming up with discussion questions because I'm showing it in my class this fall. I read a blog review of it as well, which had some comments and corrections from scene members. One guy was in a key band and he suggested a big reason why the scene collapsed was litigation hassles from the God of Thunder and Lawsuits, who seemed to think his music corporation was the only one that could use the word Kiss. Why does this seem entirely plausible to me?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:05pm
I rewatched that documentary on the Kiss or Kill scene this morning, taking notes and coming up with discussion questions because I'm showing it in my class this fall. I read a blog review of it as well, which had some comments and corrections from scene members. One guy was in a key band and he suggested a big reason why the scene collapsed was litigation hassles from the God of Thunder and Lawsuits, who seemed to think his music corporation was the only one that could use the word Kiss. Why does this seem entirely plausible to me?
I'd never heard of the Kiss or Kill scene.

The whole world has heard of KISS.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:05pm
I'd never heard of the Kiss or Kill scene.

The whole world has heard of KISS.
Both things being true, it makes sense that that asshole would want to sue.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Happy birthday Gene, who is 69 today. I wonder how many 69's he's had in his time?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 9:16am
Happy birthday Gene, who is 69 today. I wonder how many 69's he's had in his time?
Infinitely more than a person of his character deserves.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 9:16am
Happy Birthday, Chaim!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston

Post by Heston »

My long awaited duet with KISS is out this week...

past.jpg
past.jpg (36.55 KiB) Viewed 3221 times