Biggest musical twat, VOTE NOW!

General music discussion.

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the biggest twat of them all?

Phil Collins
10%
Bono
39%
Sting
8%
Clapton
31%
All of the Eagles
10%
Other
2%

Total votes: 51

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Biggest musical twat, VOTE NOW!

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:so that you're intended to look at all people from that raise as less than you.
Rock Against Raisism.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:so that you're intended to look at all people from that raise as less than you.
Rock Against Raisism.
Fucking homophonic problems … :disshame:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Difficult for me to say and maybe the term "genuine racist" was not very clever on my part. Here's an example my mum is not racist however when she see's a black person she still to this day refers to them as "coloured" as that was acceptable to her generation. Even after a thousand arguments with her where I say mum the term is "black" those people are proud to be black it is not offensive to use that term.
Nah, that stuff isn't as important to all but the most hyper-sensitive, I'd say. Assuming people from different races, ethnicities, etc look to be sociable, we understand context. If your mother doesn't have any malice in her voice or the rest of she's saying, a black person should in all likelihood let it pass as "that's just her generation." Which doesn't make it ideal, of course, just that it's not that big of an issue—unless people are looking to pick a fight.
The following lyrics are from Morrissey's song "Irish Blood, English Heart".

I've been dreaming of a time when
To be English is not to be baneful
To be standing by the flag not feeling
Shameful, racist or partial.

To me he is longing to be proud to say he is an Englishman and wants to take back the flag from those who wish it to symbolise something else.
But when taken in the context of all the ugly things he has said about other peoples, it's hard to interpret that so charitably. One can easily spin it as he's nostalgic for a time when being English (nationalistically so) was unambiguous and that you could say whatever you wanted about, say, Indians without being called a racist and made to feel ashamed.
Of course this is true.

But this works both ways a classic example is my local council office who during the last World Cup Football tournament banned the English employees from displaying Union Jacks and the St. Georges flag in fear that it would upset those employees that were non English. The head of my local council who took this decision is an Asian.

Now all this does is create further hatred. Is it wrong to be proud of your national flag? (I personally don't subscribe) but understand those who feel they have a right.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:But this works both ways a classic example is my local council office who during the last World Cup Football tournament banned the English employees from displaying Union Jacks and the St. Georges flag in fear that it would upset those employees that were non English. The head of my local council who took this decision is an Asian.

Now all this does is create further hatred. Is it wrong to be proud of your national flag? (I personally don't subscribe) but understand those who feel they have a right.
Definitely. It comes from the ambiguity of what a flag represents. On the surface it's about unity, but deeper down that unity is built on who it doesn't include. Sure, it means not the French, Dutch, or Germans, but does it also mean not those whose parents or grandparents come from former colonies? Depends on the person. It's a difficult thing and one where banning or endorsing a flag necessarily creates ill will and empowers a narrow mindset on one side or the other.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:But this works both ways a classic example is my local council office who during the last World Cup Football tournament banned the English employees from displaying Union Jacks and the St. Georges flag in fear that it would upset those employees that were non English. The head of my local council who took this decision is an Asian.

Definitely. It comes from the ambiguity of what a flag represents. On the surface it's about unity, but deeper down that unity is built on who it doesn't include. Sure, it means not the French, Dutch, or Germans, but does it also mean not those whose parents or grandparents come from former colonies? Depends on the person. It's a difficult thing and one where banning or endorsing a flag necessarily creates ill will and empowers a narrow mindset on one side or the other.
Yes I see your point however the English national football team contains black and white players some whose parents do indeed come from former colonies. I should also point out that only the English were stopped displaying their flag. The Other nations were not stopped as their flags were not seen as inflamatory. You see in England the flag has now become a symbol for the National Front, British Movement, and the BNP so there are those who want it back.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Beware of flag wavers.

Sorry Wolt the devil made me do it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:Yes I see your point however the English national football team contains black and white players some whose parents do indeed come from former colonies.
Right, but the flag is also about the supporters, which is where that plurality of interpretations about what it represents comes into play.
I should also point out that only the English were stopped displaying their flag. The Other nations were not stopped as their flags were not seen as inflamatory. You see in England the flag has now become a symbol for the National Front, British Movement, and the BNP so there are those who want it back.
Yup—everyone wants to claim to speak for the "real" whole. It's why I hate nationalism—it comes under the guise of unity, but it's really about hierarchical divisions and exclusions.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Well, to be fair, I am horribly racist.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Yes I see your point however the English national football team contains black and white players some whose parents do indeed come from former colonies.
Right, but the flag is also about the supporters, which is where that plurality of interpretations about what it represents comes into play.
I should also point out that only the English were stopped displaying their flag. The Other nations were not stopped as their flags were not seen as inflamatory. You see in England the flag has now become a symbol for the National Front, British Movement, and the BNP so there are those who want it back.
Yup—everyone wants to claim to speak for the "real" whole. It's why I hate nationalism—it comes under the guise of unity, but it's really about hierarchical divisions and exclusions.
There has been and always will be an element in English football where the flag represent something other than sport which is sad for the rest who just want to show their support for their team. Healthy competion where people enjoy beating other nations.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:Well, to be fair, I am horribly racist.
I reckon I could out run you. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This just in—Morrissey: Not a racist
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/ju ... y-from-nme

*cough*

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:This just in—Morrissey: Not a racist

*cough*
So does this mean I can finally express my true feelings about how Canadians are subhuman and not be considered racist? Sweet.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:This just in—Morrissey: Not a racist

*cough*
So does this mean I can finally express my true feelings about how Canadians are subhuman and not be considered racist? Sweet.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wait, wait, Doc. Not you. You're one of the good ones. I just wish your fellow countrymen didn't have to be so loud about their Canadian-ness. Also, why are you people so polite? Yes, I said it. You people. And God forbid any of you have children.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:Wait, wait, Doc. Not you. You're one of the good ones. I just wish your fellow countrymen didn't have to be so loud about their Canadian-ness. Also, why are you people so polite? Yes, I said it. You people. And God forbid any of you have children.
Ha! Take that, Inder!