What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by laxman »

Wolter wrote:
14 May 2017, 5:25pm
laxman wrote:
14 May 2017, 4:51pm
Manics Send Away The Tigers 10 year anniversary reissue. 2x CD, 1x DVD. I think I must have more box sets by them than anyone else theses days, but they always do a great job.
I've been meaning to check that one out. Their reissues are usually top notch.
Not watched all the DVD yet (does anyone ever?) but it has a full Glastonbury set on it as well as the album's promo videos and some other bits and pieces. The demos on CD1 are worth hearing and there seems to be some good stuff on CD2, including their cover of Umbrella, which I think was only on an NME compilation before this release.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

laxman wrote:
14 May 2017, 6:14pm
Wolter wrote:
14 May 2017, 5:25pm
laxman wrote:
Manics Send Away The Tigers 10 year anniversary reissue. 2x CD, 1x DVD. I think I must have more box sets by them than anyone else theses days, but they always do a great job.
I've been meaning to check that one out. Their reissues are usually top notch.
Not watched all the DVD yet (does anyone ever?) but it has a full Glastonbury set on it as well as the album's promo videos and some other bits and pieces. The demos on CD1 are worth hearing and there seems to be some good stuff on CD2, including their cover of Umbrella, which I think was only on an NME compilation before this release.
It'll be nice to have a CD-quality version of Umbrella.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

The Screaming Blue Messiahs, 'Live at the BBC', 2009. A live set from '85 and radio sessions from '85 & '87. Scary how hard these guys rocked...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Eels, Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. I wasn't too keen on this one when it was released, but it's grown on me immensely. A very relaxed confessional collection of songs. Looking back, it's the last really satisfying Eels album, as everything from the past decade has been a good ep with lots of filler tacked on.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
Funny how some bands get it right and some don't. Madness and The Jam also do it well.
The Specials did a good job of their reissues but would love a box with everything in one place. Wouldn't be hard either in terms of volume but personalities may be different issue. Ideally a pre FB3 split with everything included including Coventry Automatics.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Walked to and from campus and listened to the new Swans live album. I recognize that I'm a convert, perhaps a zealot, but this is fucking amazing. It's the sound of a revival meeting or perhaps a cult. It's just an epic, larger than life sound and effect. Gira always wanted Swans to be visceral and this one accomplishes that and goes into the spiritual. The version of "The Glowing Man" may be the best one I've yet heard—certainly several cuts above the studio version.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2017, 2:21pm
Walked to and from campus and listened to the new Swans live album. I recognize that I'm a convert, perhaps a zealot, but this is fucking amazing. It's the sound of a revival meeting or perhaps a cult. It's just an epic, larger than life sound and effect. Gira always wanted Swans to be visceral and this one accomplishes that and goes into the spiritual. The version of "The Glowing Man" may be the best one I've yet heard—certainly several cuts above the studio version.
I've come to the conclusion you only listen to music that has strange cover art.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2017, 4:24pm
I've come to the conclusion you only listen to music that has strange cover art.
Counterpoint: I think this is the shittiest shit that was ever shat from a shithole.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2017, 4:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2017, 4:24pm
Counterpoint: I think this is the shittiest shit that was ever shat from a shithole.
Impossible to argue with that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Robert Gordon - Fresh Fish Special Plus. Great. Rockabilly. Voice. I haven't played this in a while. This is really good stuff. His music is catchy and his voice suits the music so well. Gordon wasn't as big in the rockabilly revival as he should have been - no MTV (e.g., Stray Cats) hype.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

gkbill wrote:
26 May 2017, 7:46pm
Hello,

Robert Gordon - Fresh Fish Special Plus. Great. Rockabilly. Voice. I haven't played this in a while. This is really good stuff. His music is catchy and his voice suits the music so well. Gordon wasn't as big in the rockabilly revival as he should have been - no MTV (e.g., Stray Cats) hype.
Great album and a great performer.

Underwater Moonlight is spinning for me. This album just keeps getting stronger with every listen. What a masterpiece.

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
28 May 2017, 9:56am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Underwater Moonlight is spinning for me. This album just keeps getting stronger with every listen. What a masterpiece.

Thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to listen to this again.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
28 May 2017, 9:56am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Awesome album. I have the double CD which sells for silly prices. This album and Hitchcock's Fegmania! are genius.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Little Steven, 'Soulfire', 2017.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Stars & Stripes - Planet of the States (2015)

Legendary dumbfuck sideproject from Slapshot's Choke, this is a return to the glory of '89's Shaved for Battle, after the tepid misstep of One Man Army. The lyrics are amazing. Here are a few:

"Planet of the States"

Your people fought and died for a thousand years or more
To keep your way of life from falling through the floor
But we don't give a shit about the history you wrote
Cause we're gonna take our culture and ram it down your throat

PLANET OF THE STATES

You all consume American music, movies and TV
Our food will make everybody as fat as they can be
We'll never have to send another man to fight a war
Because our culture has already knocked down your front door

"Keep Your Enemies Closer"

My country tis of thee
Sweet land of liberty
Of thee I sing
Land where our fathers died
Land of the Pilgrims pride
LET FREEDOM SMASH YOU IN THE FACE

Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want? (2017)

I saw him in concert last week and it was pretty damned good. About 75% Floyd/25% new stuff, which blended in fairly seamlessly. The vibe here is actually a bit latter-day Bowie, and his leftist cynicism is very well served in today's climate. For anyone that enjoyed the more polemic side of Pink Floyd. Waters is pretty polarizing, so probably not exactly a new artist to discover for anyone.

Jaco Pastorius - Truth, Liberty & Soul - Live In NYC: The Complete 1982 NPR Jazz Alive! (2017)

I was lucky enough to snag a copy of this Record Store Day box and it is magnificent. 3 LP set with extensive liner notes and photos and the music sounds phenomenal. I've only recently become more familiar with Jaco, and his bass playing is wonderful. High recommendation for any of the Jazz fans around these parts. It's out now as a 2-CD set as well.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!