What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by muppet hi fi »

The Replacements, 'Putting On the Ritz' (live at the Ritz Theater NYC, July 27, 1987).
Excellent board mix, Slim's first tour in support of 'Pleased to Meet Me', very rowdy but together show, all three covers played well and no fucking around.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:20pm
The Replacements, 'Putting On the Ritz' (live at the Ritz Theater NYC, July 27, 1987).
Excellent board mix, Slim's first tour in support of 'Pleased to Meet Me', very rowdy but together show, all three covers played well and no fucking around.
I never got into this band, not for any particular reason (just never got around to it). What draws IMCT'ers to them?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:22pm
I never got into this band, not for any particular reason (just never got around to it). What draws IMCT'ers to them?
For me, it's tremendous songwriting - pop-tastic melodies and hooks; Westerberg, as a singer, was always reaching for notes (often out of his natural range) for the sake of melody and atmosphere, and seems to have almost no emotional filter to his writing, singing and his phrasing as well; the band were walking encyclopedias of rock n' roll, blues, country, folk and early pop, as well as being hip to various jazz traditions.

Plus they could (and the surviving members still do) play like motherfuckers.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:38pm
Kory wrote:
For me, it's tremendous songwriting - pop-tastic melodies and hooks; Westerberg, as a singer, was always reaching for notes (often out of his natural range) for the sake of melody and atmosphere, and seems to have almost no emotional filter to his writing, singing and his phrasing as well; the band were walking encyclopedias of rock n' roll, blues, country, folk and early pop, as well as being hip to various jazz traditions.

Where would you recommend somebody with my tastes to start checking them out (if you know my tastes well enough)?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:45pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Where would you recommend somebody with my tastes to start checking them out (if you know my tastes well enough)?
Not sure, man. I've kinda got you pigeon-holed as a purely post-punk, Euro-textured cat, but I know that's dumb cuz you're on a Clash board and dig Midnight Oil (who, of course, incorporate lots of post-punk textures into their sound), so...

So maybe if you're into loud and fast (albeit catchy, like early Clash), you might check out their debut, 'Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash' or the follow up 'Stink'. Those two are loads of fun/funny; of course the popular critical consensus is probably 'Let It Be' or 'Tim', mostly for the songwriting.

EDIT: of course you could always check out the best of 'Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?', 20 career spanning tracks including two new ones (as of 2006).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Paradiso, Amsterdam, November 3rd 1979.
Attachments
The Only Ones - The Big Sleep.jpg
The Only Ones - The Big Sleep.jpg (447.75 KiB) Viewed 2538 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:57pm
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Not sure, man. I've kinda got you pigeon-holed as a purely post-punk, Euro-textured cat, but I know that's dumb cuz you're on a Clash board and dig Midnight Oil (who, of course, incorporate lots of post-punk textures into their sound), so...

So maybe if you're into loud and fast (albeit catchy, like early Clash), you might check out their debut, 'Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash' or the follow up 'Stink'. Those two are loads of fun/funny; of course the popular critical consensus is probably 'Let It Be' or 'Tim', mostly for the songwriting.

EDIT: of course you could always check out the best of 'Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?', 20 career spanning tracks including two new ones (as of 2006).
You have so much to learn about me, my boy! Post-punk is but one aspect, although it's certainly the one I talk about here the most. I'll check these out and report back (if anybody cares). Thanks!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:04pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

You have so much to learn about me, my boy! Post-punk is but one aspect, although it's certainly the one I talk about here the most. I'll check these out and report back (if anybody cares). Thanks!
Ho ho! Maybe you're also a huge Clapton devotee?

Actually, I think you might dig their "sell out, over-produced" (bullshit claims) album 'Don't Tell A Soul' - very sad (some said "tired"), melancholy, lots of reverb and textural atmosphere.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:03pm
Oh yeah. Great show, excellent sound.
Marky - did you ever see the Only Ones live? And were they always as "on" as the few live albums indicate?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:19pm
Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:04pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Ho ho! Maybe you're also a huge Clapton devotee?
You'll pay for that...

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hello,

I was not a big fan - or even what could remotely be called a fan - up to a few months ago when I listened to For Sale. It's great rock and chaos and energy and songs and bouncing around and clatter. So, I started there - go for it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky - did you ever see the Only Ones live? And were they always as "on" as the few live albums indicate?
Yes I did once at The Electric Ballroom, Camden 10th May 1980 and hey they released it on album. The album is taken from two nights I believe the 9th & 10th May.

This album is often credited as being from the Speakeasy in '77 but it's the above dates. Were they "on"? Peter was most definitely "on". ;)
Attachments
The Only Ones - Live.jpg
The Only Ones - Live.jpg (510.42 KiB) Viewed 2525 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:51pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Yes I did once at The Electric Ballroom, Camden 10th May 1980 and hey they released it on album. The album is taken from two nights I believe the 9th & 10th May.

This album is often credited as being from the Speakeasy in '77 but it's the above dates. Were they "on"? Peter was most definitely "on". ;)
Ha! I actually prefer that one to the Amsterdam '79 show (less trebly mix for one thing); but I meant the band as a whole (as I consider them one of the great ones, and as individual players I think they're all brilliant, especially Kellie and Perry). And I've never thought Peter sounded stoned at all on record, live or studio (well, no more than his natural sound anyway). So do you have good memories from the Electric Ballroom gig?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 6:55pm
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Wow, had no idea Peter Criss sang the lead, does he also on whatever studio album it was on? It's not a very good song, and the main thing I like about the Replacements version is the opening line "Out on the street for a living, and it's only begun..." - sounds desperate and frightened, something I'm sure no member of KISS ever was. And what's with their poofy vocals? Who thought that operatic harmony thing in the mid '70s was a good idea?