What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 1:26pm
WestwayKid wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 12:24pm
laxman wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 8:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 7:11pm
laxman wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 6:29pm

Played loud goes without saying! I think I prefer Darklands too now, but Just Like Honey is my favourite track and if Some Candy Talking and Pyscohocandy (the song) had been on the first album then that might have swayed me towards that. Always liked the NME freebie single version of Some Candy Talking, which made it on to one of the expanded versions.
Top stuff.

Do you like B.R.M.C.?
I haven't really listened to them much. What would you recommend?
Their first LP is a great place to start.
I've shared the first two with laxman.
Awesome! They're both really good!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Cos I started reading the 33 1/3 book about it last night.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 3:32pm
Great record.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 3:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Great record.
My favourite of theirs is Moving, but all three of the original records, plus especially The Kitchen Tapes are super duper. That's the thing I really value about the original wave of 70s punk, that it nourished conditions for these odd groups to come together and find an audience.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 3:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 3:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Great record.
My favourite of theirs is Moving, but all three of the original records, plus especially The Kitchen Tapes are super duper. That's the thing I really value about the original wave of 70s punk, that it nourished conditions for these odd groups to come together and find an audience.
Yeah I couldn't agree more. Those times were great for small groups with little to no marketability to find their small audience and create something of worth they believed in. The Kitchen Tapes are terrific but again I'm in agreement that "Moving" is exceptional.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

TomPetty&theHeartbreakersDamntheTorpedoes.jpg
TomPetty&theHeartbreakersDamntheTorpedoes.jpg (50.91 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
This is a damn fine album from start to finish & one that reminds me of summer days sitting around in the backyard shooting the breeze with family & friends - a case of cheap American beer in the cooler - kids splashing in the pool. Long, lazy afternoons.

I'm not the world's biggest Tom Petty fan - but the first couple of LP's with the Heartbreaker's were fantastic - and there isn't a bad track on this entire disc. I was only 2 years old when this dropped - but I imagine it must have had a lot of critics scratching their heads in 1979 - it was a SoCal record - but not nearly as slick as Fleetwood Mac or the Eagles - not quite New Wave - but probably closer to guys like Elvis Costello, Graham Parker, and Nick Lowe - catchy, jangly - yet hard edged.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 1:31pm

This is a damn fine album from start to finish & one that reminds me of summer days sitting around in the backyard shooting the breeze with family & friends - a case of cheap American beer in the cooler - kids splashing in the pool. Long, lazy afternoons.

I'm not the world's biggest Tom Petty fan - but the first couple of LP's with the Heartbreaker's were fantastic - and there isn't a bad track on this entire disc. I was only 2 years old when this dropped - but I imagine it must have had a lot of critics scratching their heads in 1979 - it was a SoCal record - but not nearly as slick as Fleetwood Mac or the Eagles - not quite New Wave - but probably closer to guys like Elvis Costello, Graham Parker, and Nick Lowe - catchy, jangly - yet hard edged.
I like a fair bit of those early albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:

I'll have to check this out—I've always liked him in passing but your comparison artists at the end there intrigue me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 1:39pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I'll have to check this out—I've always liked him in passing but your comparison artists at the end there intrigue me.
Liking those other artists won't make you enjoy Petty and I like all those artists better than Petty as writers but there is a slight new wave feel to the SoCal that our friend mentions. Think Costello with a heavy Byrds influence.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 1:48pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 1:39pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Liking those other artists won't make you enjoy Petty and I like all those artists better than Petty as writers but there is a slight new wave feel to the SoCal that our friend mentions. Think Costello with a heavy Byrds influence.
Great way to put it!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yet another of those bands that I lovelovelove when I'm playing them, but just don't think to do so nearly enough.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 2:47pm
Yet another of those bands that I lovelovelove when I'm playing them, but just don't think to do so nearly enough.
Thanks for sharing that just looked them up. Noisy, I like it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They sound, in a weird way, like a combination of early Wire and early Fall.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:25pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The original lo-fi band. A Trip to Marineville and Jane from Occupied Europe are great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:25pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The original lo-fi band. A Trip to Marineville and Jane from Occupied Europe are great.
That graphic reminds me of this