What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 7:11pm
Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 6:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 5:40pm
Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 5:16pm
It's pretty good, I must say. I hear keys in stuff like this and it makes me lament that I didn't use any on my most recent EP. BUT, I'm not a keyboardist and the thing is so guitarr-heavy already I think keys would have muddied the affair.
Would you liken your more recent work to this?

(Also, what's your bandcamp link? I bought a couple of your albums before but it was a bit too proggy for me to get my ears around. But if you have some recommendations, I'll blow the dust off my wallet.)
It's all pretty proggy. I can't remember what you grabbed, aside from MS1610, but you might like Compartment, which is slightly more post-punkish. My new EP should be out before the end of the year (I hope), and it's my last work in this style for quite a while. The next project is going to be more trip-hop/dreampop.

However, all my music is "pay what you want," so if you want to check it out you can just stream it or download it for free. No need for spending any dough.

cephlapod.bandcamp.com
No, I had Compartment. The Australian city one I didn't have, but just bought (I ain't gonna rip you off and just stream). Lemme know when the next thing goes up, but very keen on the trip hop idea.
I don't consider it a ripoff since I don't care much about combining commerce and my own music, but thank you regardless. Hope you can find a minute or two in there that's not too self-indulgent!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 7:38pm
I don't consider it a ripoff since I don't care much about combining commerce and my own music, but thank you regardless. Hope you can find a minute or two in there that's not too self-indulgent!
I've been listening during commercial breaks of the ballgame—really, isn't that how artists imagine their work to be appreciated?—and perhaps that Lumens album has prepped me, but I'm kinda grooving on this one. It's still not a style that I gravitate towards—I'm not musicianly at all, which is the direction that prog leans—but I'm getting a fun 1970s planetarium laser show vibe.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 7:59pm
Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 7:38pm
I've been listening during commercial breaks of the ballgame—really, isn't that how artists imagine their work to be appreciated?—and perhaps that Lumens album has prepped me, but I'm kinda grooving on this one. It's still not a style that I gravitate towards—I'm not musicianly at all, which is the direction that prog leans—but I'm getting a fun 1970s planetarium laser show vibe.
I'll take it!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Various artists, 'The Harder They Come' soundtrack (1972; 2001 remaster).
Sheer perfection, every track.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Mink DeVille, 'Cabretta', 1977 (2014 remaster).
Some of the toughest rock n' soul ever to come out of NYC, this is the debut by the band with longest residency in CBGB's history (including Television, Blondie, The Ramones and Talking Heads).

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Otis Redding and Carla Thomas, 'King and Queen', 1967.
Contains the single greatest song in the entire history of single greatest songs - "Tramp". Don't try to argue with me - resistance is futile! :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 7:09pm
Contains the single greatest song in the entire history of single greatest songs - "Tramp". Don't try to argue with me - resistance is futile! :mrgreen:
But....oh fuck it! What's the point? ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 7:47pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 7:09pm
But....oh fuck it! What's the point? ;)
Ya see, mate? Soon the whole world will come to their senses and it'll be peace, love and hairspray for all! :cool:

"You're a tramp, Otis."
"No I'm not!"
"You're just a tramp."
"Don't call me that!"
"And ya need a haircut, tramp."
"Oh, you goofy..."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Never heard of these guys before, but the sleeve caught my eye. They're shoegaze with a clear affection for MBV's Isn't Anything (i.e., more dreamy weird than just a wash of noisy psychedelia). I'm digging it well enough.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 5:47pm
Various artists, 'The Harder They Come' soundtrack (1972; 2001 remaster).
Sheer perfection, every track.
Brilliant!!! One of my favourite albums.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

The Skids, 'The Virgin Years' 6-disc box set. After Stuart Adamson died, Mick Jones said they were the only band ever that the Clash were scared to follow onstage. Indeed Stuart was one of the most inventive, unique, disciplined and exciting guitarists ever. Not too shabby in the songwriting department either (as evidenced by Big Country's first four albums).

btw - our own Mr. John Heston's guitar playing - whether intentionally or not - sounds a lot like Stuart Adamson (albeit in a different musical context). :cool:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 7:30am
The Skids, 'The Virgin Years' 6-disc box set. After Stuart Adamson died, Mick Jones said they were the only band ever that the Clash were scared to follow onstage. Indeed Stuart was one of the most inventive, unique, disciplined and exciting guitarists ever. Not too shabby in the songwriting department either (as evidenced by Big Country's first four albums).

btw - our own Mr. John Heston's guitar playing - whether intentionally or not - sounds a lot like Stuart Adamson (albeit in a different musical context). :cool:
Well cheers mate, I'll take that. I think I've mentioned before I learned how to play guitar along to the first Big Country album (amongst a few others) and that must have rubbed off a bit. Great musician was Stuart.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New OMD. They still sound like themselves. Despite using all the fancy technologies and such, you can still hear that band that made weird electro pop with tape loops and basic synths.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 2:35pm
New OMD. They still sound like themselves. Despite using all the fancy technologies and such, you can still hear that band that made weird electro pop with tape loops and basic synths.
They were so good early on.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 2:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 2:35pm
They were so good early on.
I'm also a sucker for their slick mid-80s commercial stuff. The faux strings on "If You Leave" get me every time.